Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Governor Snippet #2

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Governor Snippet #2
Post by GraysonLady   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:55 pm

GraysonLady
Ensign

At least he'd finally gotten captain's rank after keeping Murphy o"Do we really have to do this?" Fleet Admiral Arkadios Fokaides growled. "The man's a damned fop, whatever the frigging newsies had to say about Steelman!"
The Terran Republic's Chief of Naval Operations was a man with exactly zero patience for fools at the best of times, and he was none too picky about who he assigned to the "fools" category. Although, in this case, Vice Admiral Yang Xiaolan reflected, he might have a better argument than usual. Yang had known Terrence Murphy for over thirty years, and he'd never impressed her as a suitable champion to uphold the Murphy family name. Not that he couldn't have been, just that he never had.
"The decision is up to you, Arkadios," she said now. "All I can say is that the arguments in favor of making Boyle happy are pretty convincing, and I think he's ready to go to the mat over this one."
"Probably because of how many credits Thakore's pouring into his goddamn party's slush fund. God, I hate politics!" Fokaides looked even less happy. But then he shrugged. "I don't suppose he can do too much damage."
The CNO had managed not to say "not even he," Yang noted. It had probably been hard for him.
"It's not as if he's going to have to defeat the entire Rénzú Liánméng Hǎijūn by himself," she pointed out, and Fokaides gave her a moderately dirty look. Unlike some, she had no problem pronouncing the Terran League's Navy's proper name. The majority of the TRN's personnel, including one Arkaidios Fokaides simply referred to it as "the League Navy" or "the Leaguies" and got on with it.
"Of course he isn't," he growled back. "I just hate giving him the slot. It's not like he's earned it!"
Yang nodded. No one could really argue with that point, she reflected.
"I’m surprised Thakore didn’t push for his son Rajenda to get the position,” she said.
“Raw nepotism won’t play for Thakore,” Fokaides shook his head. “Besides, Rajenda has a combat command on the Beta Cygni front. We pull him out of that and it’ll look like he’s being politely fired.”
“So they give Murphy the position at New Dublin with a significant force to command. It looks good in the faxes," she pointed out in return. "Boyle's publicity flaks are right about the way Public Information can play up the 'a Murphy goes to war' angle. Especially — and I know you're not going to want to hear this — after Steelman."
Fokaides glared at her, and it was her turn to shrug.
"I know the entire thing got blown out of all proportion, and if I had to guess, it was only O'Hanraghty that kept him from stepping on his sword. That's the way even Murphy's after-action report reads, if you read between the lines. But whatever the reasons, that's how the public sees him now. And however much it may grate, we're going to need all the political support we can get for next year's appropriations." Fokaides fixed her with icy green eyes, and she shrugged again. "I don't like it a whole lot more than you do, but if it helps us get the budget we need, I think it's worth the investment."
Fokaides leaned back in his chair and ran the fingers of his right hand through his hair. That hair was still thick and dark, thanks to antigerrone, but he was eighty years old, and he'd been Chief of Naval Operations for almost twenty years. He'd reach mandatory retirement in another five, at which point Yang would step into his shoes. She was seventeen years younger than he was, and she'd been named Vice Chief of Naval Operations two years ago expressly to give her the experience she'd need when it was her turn in the hot seat. He hadn't picked her at random as his successor, either. He'd chosen her because she was smart and capable and because the choice was too important to leave up to the civilians.
And she's right, dammit, he thought. It just sticks in my craw. Wonder how much of it's because of how much I detested his old man? Fokaides didn't like admitting, even to himself, that personal animosity could play a part in a decision like this, but there was no point pretending that he and Bartholomew Murphy hadn't despised one another cordially. And Terrence Murphy was the spitting image of his father. Question is, is he as inept as his father was? Yang's right about the need to invest in political support, but Jesus I hate wasting even a light task force on a goddamn Murphy! Especially one who ran so scared before Steelman turned him into a "hero."
That had been the true core of his initial refusal to sign off on the entire deployment, he told himself . . . and hoped he was being honest when he did. But Murphy had already ridden his family's name when he chose to go to Survey instead of following a Battle Fleet track. At a time when the Terran Republic was locked in a death grip with the League, he'd decided to keep his own precious ass out of the line of fire, just like he'd done with his older son. What if he chose to do that again? What if the "Hero of Steelman's Star" reverted to his true colors when the odds turned truly crappy?
Yet every time he asked himself that, he came back to Yang's point. Very few Heart Worlders understood just how bad things had become. It wasn't completely true that, as one of the more irritating newsies had put it, the Fringe Worlds might be at war, but the Heart Worlds were at the mall. Yet the metaphor was reaching in the right direction. Fokaides knew the League couldn't sustain the current tempo of operations indefinitely. In the end, the Republic's larger population and far more massive industrial infrastructure had to win what had become an ugly war of attrition. But Arkadios Fokaides had been telling himself that for the last twenty years, and he suspected his predecessor had been telling herself that for at least twenty years before he'd become CNO. And somehow, half a century and more since the first shots were fired, the League stubbornly refused to lie down and die.
And it's been going on long enough that just convincing the Assembly to pay for the war is getting harder and harder, he thought grimly. And that's because the voters — the precious, pampered, useless frigging voters — don't care. Why should they? We've managed to keep the fighting outside the Heart Worlds, none of our critical star systems are at risk, so the way they see it, they don't have any skin in the game.
Unless their kids are the ones getting assigned to combat duty, of course.
"All right," he said finally. "You're right. We have to just swallow the pill and keep going, but I don't want him swanning around out there without someone to ride herd on him!"
"I think we're covered there, actually," Yang replied. Fokaides raised his eyebrows in silent question, and she snorted. "One of the reasons I'd convinced he's not a total idiot, really. He's requested O'Hanraghty for Chief of Staff."
"Has he?" The CNO let his chair come upright again. "That's encouraging. O'Hanraghty may be a dinosaur, but at least he knows his ass from his elbow when it comes to tactics."
Yang nodded in agreement. Harrison O'Hanraghty had graduated from the Academy only a couple of years after her, but he'd been only a commander when Terrence Murphy went off to Steelman's Star. He might not actually be the "dinosaur" Fokaides had called him, but he'd certainly managed to blot his copybook with enough senior officers to explain his career's glacial progress. His side trip through the Office of Naval Intelligence hadn't exactly helped him in that regard, either. Yang didn't know what he'd done to piss them off over at ONI, but she suspected he'd probably been poking his nose where it didn't belong. He'd done a lot of that in the last thirty or forty years. Which was a shame, because he truly did "know his ass from his elbow" operationally. If he'd just been able to stay out of trouble with his superiors and concentrate on that, he'd have had admiral's stars of his own by now.
ut of the crapper at Steelman's. And she'd made it quietly clear to him that if he could just go on keeping Murphy out of the crapper until they got Murphy's task force back intact, there was a commodore's star in it for him, as well.
"He does know his tactics," she said out loud. "And Murphy's already shown he's willing to listen to O'Hanraghty. I think the fact that he wants him as chief of staff shows he knows how much he needs to go on listening, too."
"I hope so." Fokaides sounded more than a little skeptical, but he also waved one hand in a brushing away gesture. "Either way, it's probably as close as we can come to disaster-proofing things. I guess we’re just going to have to hope for the best."
Re: Governor Snippet #2
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:07 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

GraysonLady wrote: If he'd just been able to stay out of trouble with his superiors and concentrate on that, he'd have had admiral's stars of his own by now.
ut of the crapper at Steelman's. And she'd made it quietly clear to him that if he could just go on keeping Murphy out of the crapper
until they got Murphy's task force back intact, there was a commodore's star in it for him, as well.t."

hmmmm - something slightly odd with the text here.

is this in the original or maybe just a cut & paste issue?

PS NOT a complaint about the snippeting and your excellent work!! :-)
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:56 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

isaac_newton wrote:
GraysonLady wrote: If he'd just been able to stay out of trouble with his superiors and concentrate on that, he'd have had admiral's stars of his own by now.
ut of the crapper at Steelman's. And she'd made it quietly clear to him that if he could just go on keeping Murphy out of the crapper
until they got Murphy's task force back intact, there was a commodore's star in it for him, as well.t."

Problem is that the manuscript wasn't totally cleaned up. Richard and I were tracking changes while we passed the manuscript back and forth, and I forgot to hit "Accept All Changes" when I handed the manuscript off to Madam Snippeter. With "Show All Markup" toggled, the software for the site cheerfully includes all the stuff that's been changed, as well, complete with sometimes . . . odd line and paragraph breaks. I believe that issue has been dealt with. Angie called it to my attention when she realized something was a tad off.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
At least he'd finally gotten captain's rank after keeping Murphy o ut of the crapper at Steelman's. And she'd made it quietly clear to him that if he could just go on keeping Murphy out of the crapper

You need the first line of the snippet and the first character of the second line at the start of the second para you quoted as in red above, to get the sense. At least, I think so.
Post by Icecold   » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:17 am

Icecold
Ensign

Randomiser wrote:You need the first line of the snippet and the first character of the second line at the start of the second para you quoted as in red above, to get the sense. At least, I think so.

Thank you, now it makes sense.
Post by HaroldWard   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:04 am

HaroldWard
Midshipman

Icehot wrote:
Candomiser wrote:You need the line of the snippet and the first character of the second line at the start using of the second para you quoted as in red above, to get the sense. At least, I think so.

Thank you, now it makes sense.

The original novel presents her story after she retires from active military duty and how to get rid of gyno has joined her family in migration to a settlement on the frontiers of the governing empire, with mere mentions of the events detailed in the newly added prequel novel. In Fury Born begins with the rearing and military career of the protagonist while Path of the Fury centers around former elite commando Alicia DeVries's quest to attain revenge on the interstellar pirates who killed her family.
Last edited by HaroldWard on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post by JeffreyZimmerman   » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:33 pm

JeffreyZimmerman
Midshipman

runsforcelersy wrote:
isaac_nsewton wrote: If he'd just been able to stay out of trouble with his superiors and concentrate on that, he'd have had admiral's stars of his own by now.
ut of the crapper at Steelman's. And she'd made it quietly clear to him that if he could just get phentermine over the counter here go on keeping Murphy out of the crapper

Problem is that the manuscript wasn't totally cleaned up. Richard and I were tracking changes while we passed the manuscript back and forth, and I forgot to hit "Accept All Changes" when I handed the manuscript off to Madam Snippeter. With "Show All Markup" toggled, the software for the site cheerfully includes all the stuff that's been changed, as well, complete with sometimes . . . odd line and paragraph breaks. I believe that issue has been dealt with. Angie called it to my attention when she realized something was a tad off.

The CNO had managed not to say "not even he," Yang noted. It had probably been hard for him.
Post by JohnSchultz   » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:42 am

JohnSchultz
Midshipman

The original novel presents her story after she tried comparing phentermine alternative results and chose phenq and retires from active military duty and has joined her family in migration to a settlement on the frontiers of the governing empire, with mere mentions of the events detailed and in the newly added prequel novel. In Fury Born begins with the rearing and military career of the protagonist while Path of the Fury centers around former elite commando Alicia DeVries's quest to attain revenge on the interstellar pirates who killed her family.

Here are the collected snippets from the forthcoming book Governor by David Weber and Richard Fox.

Return to Path of the Fury