Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Foundation in Apple TV

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Foundation in Apple TV
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:07 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Trailer: Apple, YouTube

Apple released the teaser trailer this week. Looks very high quality and I plan on figuring out how to watch it, owning no Apple devices at home... Anyone else planning to?

Since they've cast Jared Harris as Hari and the teaser features Gaal Dornick, and neither the Wikipedia page nor IMDb mention encyclopedists nor Mayor Salvor Hardin, I imagine we're going to see more about the pre-founding of the Foundation in Trantor, but not as early as Prelude to Foundation or even Forward the Foundation. The cast also includes a Demerzel (First Minister to Emperor Cleon I) and three "Brother", which do not appear anywhere in the books. That's at least for the first season; maybe the second would be set to Terminus and detail the crises with the Four Kingdoms, with Jared only appearing seldomly ("seldonly"?).

Both Gaal Dornick and Demerzel are cast to female actresses. I suppose changing the gender of Gaal like Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica (2004) is only fitting, sci-fi from the 1950s, female characters did nothing. Bayta Darrell was just annoying and did nothing but smoke (except the one thing she did). It's not a given for Demerzel: it could be that the female actress is playing an androgynous role.But note how no first name is given.

That said, where s Dors Venabili?

EDIT: fixed links.
Re: Foundation in Apple TV
Post by Senior Chief   » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 am

Senior Chief
Commander

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Trailer: Apple, YouTube

Apple released the teaser trailer this week. Looks very high quality and I plan on figuring out how to watch it, owning no Apple devices at home... Anyone else planning to?

Since they've cast Jared Harris as Hari and the teaser features Gaal Dornick, and neither the Wikipedia page nor IMDb mention encyclopedists nor Mayor Salvor Hardin, I imagine we're going to see more about the pre-founding of the Foundation in Trantor, but not as early as Prelude to Foundation or even Forward the Foundation. The cast also includes a Demerzel (First Minister to Emperor Cleon I) and three "Brother", which do not appear anywhere in the books. That's at least for the first season; maybe the second would be set to Terminus and detail the crises with the Four Kingdoms, with Jared only appearing seldomly ("seldonly"?).

Both Gaal Dornick and Demerzel are cast to female actresses. I suppose changing the gender of Gaal like Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica (2004) is only fitting, sci-fi from the 1950s, female characters did nothing. Bayta Darrell was just annoying and did nothing but smoke (except the one thing she did). It's not a given for Demerzel: it could be that the female actress is playing an androgynous role.But note how no first name is given.

That said, where s Dors Venabili?

EDIT: fixed links.

Read the Foundation series and found them boring...
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Apart from one line there's nothing in that clip that says Foundation. Hell, one word.

Looks interesting in it's own right, but as for being Foundation? Let's just say it reminds me of Starship Troopers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Apart from one line there's nothing in that clip that says Foundation. Hell, one word.

Well, the subtitles do say "Hari" and "Gaal" and the plot is clearly Foundation, though I'll agree it doesn't seem to be in the books. It seems to be a period of time just after the first few paragraphs of "The Psychohistorians" (Gaal's arrival in Trantor) and Hari's trial.

By the way, Gaal didn't arrive by a space elevator in the book.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:24 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Read the Foundation series in High School. Since my 50 anniversary of granduation was in 2018, that was a while ago. I remember plodding though it hoping it would get better. Ah well, back to Niven.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:14 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Read the Foundation series in High School. Since my 50 anniversary of granduation was in 2018, that was a while ago. I remember plodding though it hoping it would get better. Ah well, back to Niven.

I don't know, give it a try again. Asimov's style is very Hard Sci-fi, but very little backstory infodump. The narrator describes, but everything else is conversation. For a fan of Niven, you might like it.

Meanwhile, I'm reading the Bowl of Heaven (Niven and Benford). Heinlein next, with both parallel Parallel Universe novels, but I'll read in sequence, not in parallel.

Return to Free-Range Topics...