Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

A question about ATSoT

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
A question about ATSoT
Post by Hofner   » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Hofner
Midshipman

Hello all,

My Question about ATSoT is how did Merlin and Nimue know when and where to meet Clyntahn and Rayno when they came out of the tunnel from the Temple. I've read the book several times but I wonder if I still missed something.

The tunnel is 17 miles long and it was said Clyntahn was no hiker and they had to stop and rest frequently so I estimate it took them up to eight or nine hours to reach the exit. If Vicar Robert or his people only got word to Helm Cleaver when Clyntahn went into the tunnel, that's not very much time for Merlin and Nimue to change to their alter egos and get to the tunnel exit to meet him.

The book said the tunnel was secret but it also said Rayno was hoping/praying that no one would betray the secret. so it seems obvious someone did for how else would the sagens know where the tunnel exit was.

So all I can think of is Vicar robert and his people were told of the tunnel and that Clyntahn would probably try to escape through it even before they kicked off the rebellion. So they told Helm Cleaver and therefore, Merlin and Nimue ahead of time and these two changed into their alter egos and went to the tunnel exit to wait around for Clyntahn when the rebellion was about to kick off.

In fact, it could be Vicar Robert had made a deal to give up Clyntahn to the Charisian Empire and this is how they did it.

I guess I just answered my own question but I'd like to see what you guys think.

Robert
Re: A question about ATSoT
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:50 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Hofner wrote:Hello all,

My Question about ATSoT is how did Merlin and Nimue know when and where to meet Clyntahn and Rayno when they came out of the tunnel from the Temple. I've read the book several times but I wonder if I still missed something.

The tunnel is 17 miles long and it was said Clyntahn was no hiker and they had to stop and rest frequently so I estimate it took them up to eight or nine hours to reach the exit. If Vicar Robert or his people only got word to Helm Cleaver when Clyntahn went into the tunnel, that's not very much time for Merlin and Nimue to change to their alter egos and get to the tunnel exit to meet him.

The book said the tunnel was secret but it also said Rayno was hoping/praying that no one would betray the secret. so it seems obvious someone did for how else would the sagens know where the tunnel exit was.

So all I can think of is Vicar robert and his people were told of the tunnel and that Clyntahn would probably try to escape through it even before they kicked off the rebellion. So they told Helm Cleaver and therefore, Merlin and Nimue ahead of time and these two changed into their alter egos and went to the tunnel exit to wait around for Clyntahn when the rebellion was about to kick off.

In fact, it could be Vicar Robert had made a deal to give up Clyntahn to the Charisian Empire and this is how they did it.

I guess I just answered my own question but I'd like to see what you guys think.

Robert

Byrtrym Zhansyn, Agent Inquisitor and covert Helm Cleaver operative, might had known about the Inquisition's secret escape tunnel.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ZVar   » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:00 am

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

I always just figured they were far enough away that the snarcs either previously found the door or they were tracked via magic, err.. advance tech like heat sensors or some other magic wand.
Post by WeberFan   » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:08 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Handwavium. Obviously.
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:18 am

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

1. If Clyntahn couldn’t be nabbed in the initial attack, it’s a guarantee that he would run.

2. Mab and alternate Nimue were probably the designated coordinators for the actual uprising and already “in the area”

3. Between The Circle, Helm Cleaver agents, the Wylsan legacy as senior Schuelerites/inquisitors, it is logical that the most likely escape routes were known at least to Nynian and would be easy to monitor once outside the temple “danger zone”

4. Even if the tunnel was not known, a saturation sensor perimeter around the area should be able to detect a sudden gathering of Inquisition soldiers coming from “nowhere” soon enough for Owl and Nahrman to identify, confirm from conversations that they were waiting for their boss, and relay the information to the strike team with plenty of time to fly in and deal with them before the Supreme Fatso could huff and puff his way to the end.
Post by ZVar   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:48 am

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

Here are a few quotes about the tunnel to refresh people's memory.

Wyllym Rayno didn’t know about that, but he did know it was one of the Inquisition’s most tightly held secrets. It was over seventeen miles long, from the Temple’s cellars all the way across Templesborough and Langhornesborough to the countryside beyond, and its exit was hidden under a vineyard the Order of Schueler had very quietly owned for well over three centuries.

Another seventy men waited at the vineyard, sent ahead to secure the exit and arrange horses.

So, 17 miles away and 70 men with horses. Would have been easy for snarcs to see that movement and follow them to the end of the tunnel.

Return to Safehold