Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Multiverse #4???

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Multiverse #4???
Post by morikaweb   » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 am

morikaweb
Midshipman

From RFC's About the Schedule post under announcements: "Hopefully, somewhere after this Python lump is out the door, Joelle and I will be looking at the next multiverse book, as well. We have two more, I think, under contract for that series."

Two more would be good. If I'm understanding his thoughts, probably be no sooner than late 2018, but more likely sometime in 2019 we'll see the next book in this serries.

Unfortunately it is fast approaching the end of 2019 with no sign of an impending launch. I hope we do get a resolution to this story.
Post by Owlish48   » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:58 pm

Owlish48
Midshipman

morikaweb wrote:I hope we do get a resolution to this story.

Same here. We have some seriously interesting things in the immediate pipeline:

1) Inquiry Officer (& staff?) from Duke Garth Showma is about due (4+ months travel time) at Mahritha sector HQ & mul Gurthak, who has "got some 'splainin' to do." Info dump on Arcanan reinforcements/reserves collected at Mahritha by mul Gurthak, who obviously didn't send any additional forces forward.

2) Sharonian forces in Hell's Gate should be checking their flanks (i.e., the other portals) and should encounter the combined Velvelig/chan Baskay group, with their associated Arcanan elements. Information flow to Sharon will be interesting, as will how the Fifties and their troops are handled by the Sharonians.

3) Further developments in Karys, where the AEF is between the devil of the 1st Brigade (plus the 23rd Regiment) of the 3rd Dragoons and the tall cliffs of the Traisum Cut (and many more Sharonian infantry & guns).

4) Possible complications in Hell's Gate itself, as the dragon group transiting Thermyn (before they met the 1st Brigade [reinforced]) were headed to a hunting camp in Hell's Gate. While it's possible that that camp was based at one of the Hell's Gate portals and was cleared when they each fell to the Sharonian 3rd Brigade of the 3rd Dragoons, it is also possible it was at an independent site. It likely only held 3 to 9 transport dragons and could have withdrawn when the news of the Hell's Gate/New Uromath portal fell (they did get a warning out, but to where other than the HG/Mahritha portal?), but could have been left hanging.

A guess on the handling of the Arcanan troops with Velvelig's group: Allow them to retain their Arcanan uniforms (prisoners would get PoW uniforms) and be held together as units (prisoners might be broken up, with rank segregation and a loss of unit integrity). Better housing and rations than 'regular PoWs'. Possible detail of Sharonian troops from Velvelig's group to accompany them to ensure they received appropriate treatment as 'special guests' rather than PoWs.

Enough of a 'wall o' text' there...
Post by Don_gmm3   » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Don_gmm3
Midshipman

It is now June 9th of 2020 we are coming out of Covid 19 so they have had plenty of time to write. Will we ever see a new Multiverse book or are we waiting in vane.
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:42 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Don_gmm3 wrote:It is now June 9th of 2020 we are coming out of Covid 19 so they have had plenty of time to write. Will we ever see a new Multiverse book or are we waiting in vane.

We had to wait - what? 10 years or so? for "Road to Hell". And David is a) reaching retirement age really soon now, has b) health issues (his wife, too, if I remember correctly) and c) many other books he still intends to write; Safehold; Bahzell; Honorverse too (with Eric Flint, who isn't a young hopper anymore, too, now that I think about it, and who also has other projects of his own). I bet, if we get "Multiverse 4" any time soon, it will be more or less a solo project by Joelle Presby - maybe, after David set the frames, where he want to go with it. But even in this case, I don't see it happen in the next 12 months or so.
Post by jeremyr   » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:00 am

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

Eagleeye wrote:We had to wait - what? 10 years or so? for "Road to Hell". And David is a) reaching retirement age really soon now, has b) health issues (his wife, too, if I remember correctly) and c) many other books he still intends to write; Safehold; Bahzell; Honorverse too (with Eric Flint, who isn't a young hopper anymore, too, now that I think about it, and who also has other projects of his own). I bet, if we get "Multiverse 4" any time soon, it will be more or less a solo project by Joelle Presby - maybe, after David set the frames, where he want to go with it. But even in this case, I don't see it happen in the next 12 months or so.

That's the way I see it too Eagleeye. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see a conclusion to this series. Which is too bad in my opinion. It's one of my favorites. I'd be very happy with Joelle finishing the series.
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 am

Keith_w
Commodore

jeremyr wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:We had to wait - what? 10 years or so? for "Road to Hell". And David is a) reaching retirement age really soon now, has b) health issues (his wife, too, if I remember correctly) and c) many other books he still intends to write; Safehold; Bahzell; Honorverse too (with Eric Flint, who isn't a young hopper anymore, too, now that I think about it, and who also has other projects of his own). I bet, if we get "Multiverse 4" any time soon, it will be more or less a solo project by Joelle Presby - maybe, after David set the frames, where he want to go with it. But even in this case, I don't see it happen in the next 12 months or so.

That's the way I see it too Eagleeye. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see a conclusion to this series. Which is too bad in my opinion. It's one of my favorites. I'd be very happy with Joelle finishing the series.

I am pretty sure that David hands over a plot outline and whomever he is working with does the writing. Hopefully Joelle is up to the writing slog.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by justdave   » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

I am pretty sure that David hands over a plot outline and whomever he is working with does the writing. Hopefully Joelle is up to the writing slog.

The MWW said last nite on the weekly Baen zoom session that this as still on his scheduled, just not soon.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

From what he's said on various occasions - and I've seen much the same from the other side of the collabs - it's a _lot_ more complicated that that. The collaborator isn't simply ghost-writing, they're fully involved in working out the story line, then the actual writing is assigned to one or the other depending on their strengths - if there's blood, guts and feathers all over the place, good chance that Himself wrote that section - and once the draft is done they decide together what needs to be reworked to fit it all smoothly together.

Keith_w wrote:
jeremyr wrote:

Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:24 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

I read this in hardbound (public library copy) when it was released.

Recently made the purchase for my Kindle but, If I had researched this forum, I am not sure I would have.

I am into book three on my reread today when I began to wonder if there was time to "finish the story" in the remaining 40% and came over there to check it out.

To be fair, I have also purchased and read the Safehold and Honor Harrington books written and released since book three of this series and I enjoyed them immensely but the CABIN FEVER related to Covid 19 caused me to "impulse buy" when Amazon posted this a few weeks ago.

Oh well.

Stay safe.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Eagleeye   » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:30 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Well, thanks to Duckk, we know about the writing plans of David - and if I look at it ... the hope to get new material in the multiverse in 2021 is slim, at best. I have more hopes for 2022, but imo the chances will be greater for the 2nd half of that year. So, fingers crossed that David will stay healthy (not the easiest thing to do in these times) so my guess will come true.

Return to Multiverse