Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Safehold taste in Music and Media.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Safehold taste in Music and Media.
Post by RunsInShadows   » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:34 pm

RunsInShadows
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

So, It has been at least a year since I last reread the Series, but this question popped into my head this afternoon, and I had to get your opinions.

At this point in the series, what Music, Video, Books, etc do you think people(those with access to the historical archives) would like from humanity's past?

Will there be distaste for Rock'n'Roll like there was in the mid 20th century?
RIS

"Ack!" I said. Fearless master of the witty dialogue, that's me.
― Harry Dresden, Changes by Jim butcher
Re: Safehold taste in Music and Media.
Post by Julia Minor   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:27 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

As I recall, there's a ball early in the series (I think part of the leadup to Cayleb and Sharleyan's wedding) where Merlin has a few mental comments about the bizarre instrument combinations Safehold considers normal. There could be some oddball "cover" bands who become popular simply because they sound somewhat Safeholdian.

If Merlin's right about Out Island dances being partly inspired by the Charleston, they're used to a fast beat. Rock and roll might end up more popular.

As far as other media goes, there's a side comment in TFT about a Safeholdian version of "Alice in Wonderland". I'd love to know if it was translated into Safehold dialect and idiom by Nahrmahn and Owl as a side project, or if the book was brought to Safehold by the colonists.
Re: Safehold taste in Music and Media.
Post by Erls   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Julia Minor wrote:
As far as other media goes, there's a side comment in TFT about a Safeholdian version of "Alice in Wonderland". I'd love to know if it was translated into Safehold dialect and idiom by Nahrmahn and Owl as a side project, or if the book was brought to Safehold by the colonists.

I would be particularly interested in what impact Charis could have if they re-introduced some of Humanity's greatest works of literature. For example, what about To Kill a Mockingbird that substitutes a Harchong or Desnarian for Tom Robinson and a reformist member of the literature for Atticus Finch. Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and other works from Shakespeare. Anna Karenina and Pride and Prejudice are likely to have connections to Safehold as well.

Of course, I still would love to see the formal denunciation that Staynair sent to the Temple. I like to imagine it goes something like this:

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, The Church is instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the faithful,--That whenever any Form of Church becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Religious Organizations, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Religious Orders long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Church, and to provide new Guards for their future religious security."

Slightly modified, of course, to directly challenge the COGA. I like to think this was the start of Staynair's letter. It would do the Brethren justice.

Return to Safehold