Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests

State Sec in RHN

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: State Sec in RHN
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri May 01, 2020 8:03 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Mesa isn't the place for them if there's any hope for rehabilitation. They'll get deeper into excrement on Mesa. In fact, dollars to donuts the RF will have ex-Peeps in their navy.

PN officers who refused the new republican government, probably. Though most high-ranking ones were captured and tried during and after the civil war.

StateSec thungs? I don't think the MAN/RFN wants them. They know that those are thugs with little to show for in skills.
Post by cthia   » Fri May 01, 2020 8:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Mesa isn't the place for them if there's any hope for rehabilitation. They'll get deeper into excrement on Mesa. In fact, dollars to donuts the RF will have ex-Peeps in their navy.

PN officers who refused the new republican government, probably. Though most high-ranking ones were captured and tried during and after the civil war.

StateSec thungs? I don't think the MAN/RFN wants them. They know that those are thugs with little to show for in skills.

They seem to fit the MAN profile perfectly.

Expendable.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri May 01, 2020 8:14 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:StateSec thungs? I don't think the MAN/RFN wants them. They know that those are thugs with little to show for in skills.

They seem to fit the MAN profile perfectly.

Expendable.

I think you're confusing the Mesan Space Navy with the Mesan Alignment Navy. The former was a show force, gaudy and rather incompetent, whose only business was to look pretty and protect slave traffic.

The latter is a professional navy out of Darius. It also controls the Renaissance Factor Navy, which is composed of planets who have all banned genetic slavery.
Post by cthia   » Fri May 01, 2020 11:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:StateSec thungs? I don't think the MAN/RFN wants them. They know that those are thugs with little to show for in skills.

cthia wrote:They seem to fit the MAN profile perfectly.

Expendable.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I think you're confusing the Mesan Space Navy with the Mesan Alignment Navy. The former was a show force, gaudy and rather incompetent, whose only business was to look pretty and protect slave traffic.

The latter is a professional navy out of Darius. It also controls the Renaissance Factor Navy, which is composed of planets who have all banned genetic slavery.

I have certainly confused, and juxtaposed, things, timelines, people and places, before, but not here.

The MA has a knack for using expendables and pawns. Why would they change that MO going forward? Accepting as a given that the MAN is an extension of the MA.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The MA has a knack for using expendables and pawns. Why would they change that MO going forward? Accepting as a given that the MAN is an extension of the MA.

Pawns, yes. They did actually use the People's Navy in Exile forces as expendable pawns.

But those had absolutely no clue that they were working for the MAlign, much less that the MAN existed. That would have been a huge security risk. The officers they had aboard giving them instructions were MAN, but they were dressed as MSN officers.

I don't count that as "in their navy."
Post by cthia   » Fri May 01, 2020 11:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:The MA has a knack for using expendables and pawns. Why would they change that MO going forward? Accepting as a given that the MAN is an extension of the MA.

Pawns, yes. They did actually use the People's Navy in Exile forces as expendable pawns.

But those had absolutely no clue that they were working for the MAlign, much less that the MAN existed. That would have been a huge security risk. The officers they had aboard giving them instructions were MAN, but they were dressed as MSN officers.

I don't count that as "in their navy."

I'm actually talking about recruiting them in some capacity, formally. There is no danger of them being a security risk if they've been nanited.

Spies, military personnel, diplomats, etc., all have to be vetted over and over after missions abroad, anytime the enemy could have approached and solicited them. Their psyche profile is constantly updated to ensure they harbor no ill will against their government. Or have fallen on hard financial times, whereby a bribe becomes kryptonite.

StateSec goons are penniless, sour, and certainly ill with their government, and possibly vengeful and spiteful.

And if they are recruited by the RF and not the MA, they still won't know who are pulling their strings.

Post by aairfccha   » Sat May 02, 2020 2:35 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Demonstrating the validity of the original question: Waffen-SS personnel (from Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) was recruited as guards at the Nuremberg trials. Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sat May 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

I imagine quite a few could find a new home in the League. Frontier Security or the Gendarmie intervention battalions seem like work they'd be well suited for.
Post by kzt   » Sat May 02, 2020 10:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:I imagine quite a few could find a new home in the League. Frontier Security or the Gendarmie intervention battalions seem like work they'd be well suited for.

It depends. A fair percentage were true believers. They had grown up seeing the accomplishments of the new regime and hearing the stories of how terrible the prior government was, and hoe you need to protect the government from malcontents, traitors, criminals and wreckers. Propaganda works.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:It depends. A fair percentage were true believers. They had grown up seeing the accomplishments of the new regime and hearing the stories of how terrible the prior government was, and hoe you need to protect the government from malcontents, traitors, criminals and wreckers. Propaganda works.

Not sure how big that percentage can be. The CPS was in power for only 9 years. I suppose that StateSec recruited a lot of new people so any loyalists in InSec wouldn't cause trouble, but even then that's recruiting in 1905 and 1906, with recruits receiving indoctrination but not "growing up".

Return to Honorverse