Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Why did Andrea Jaruwalski need rehabilitation?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Why did Andrea Jaruwalski need rehabilitation?
Post by cthia   » Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Beats me. She should have received a medal and a good stiff drink.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Why did Andrea Jaruwalski need rehabilitation?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri May 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Beats me. She should have received a medal and a good stiff drink.

I thought I'd remember you mentioned this before. Looks like it did come up before in back in 2014.

But if the navy had known precisely what the situation was, what she said, and why she said it that they'd have realized that Santino's dismissal of her was precisely because he was lashing out in a petty way at someone who'd pointed out how, in part due to lack of his preparedness, his forces had no practical option but to withdraw. And with that knowledge she probably wouldn't require rehabilitation.

But as SWM pointed out back then, if she won't offer anything in her own defense (because she think she'll be disbelieved) and the only thing the navy has to go on is the order of dismissal Santino took the time to shoot off being going and getting himself and way too many RMN spacers needlessly killed -- well that going to leave suspicion that the incompetent jackass might have been right. And that's going to cast a pall over Jaruwalski's career..
Post by cthia   » Fri May 01, 2020 10:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Beats me. She should have received a medal and a good stiff drink.

I thought I'd remember you mentioned this before. Looks like it did come up before in back in 2014.

But if the navy had known precisely what the situation was, what she said, and why she said it that they'd have realized that Santino's dismissal of her was precisely because he was lashing out in a petty way at someone who'd pointed out how, in part due to lack of his preparedness, his forces had no practical option but to withdraw. And with that knowledge she probably wouldn't require rehabilitation.

But as SWM pointed out back then, if she won't offer anything in her own defense (because she think she'll be disbelieved) and the only thing the navy has to go on is the order of dismissal Santino took the time to shoot off being going and getting himself and way too many RMN spacers needlessly killed -- well that going to leave suspicion that the incompetent jackass might have been right. And that's going to cast a pall over Jaruwalski's career..

Thanks. I thought I must have brought it up but couldn't locate it, buried in the Ramblings thread. It still gets my goat, though the explanation is acceptable.

I still think it sucks raw eggs. Same as Honor's tight-lipped improper defense of Young I suppose.

But, to be clear. Her needing rehabilitation is as a result of being relieved of duty?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri May 01, 2020 11:15 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But, to be clear. Her needing rehabilitation is as a result of being relieved of duty?

Her career needed rehabilitation, not her person. Though it's possible she underwent psychological counselling for survivor's syndrome. Because she failed to offer any defence on her behalf, the board as forced to conclude Santino's explanation and assessment of her were correct, even if they had suspicions they weren't.She wasn't cashiered out, so the board may have offered her leniency. Even then, with that taint on her file, few officers would give her a second chance.

Except for an officer who knew Santino and could guess the truth behind what the reports said. And who had the opportunity to get Jaruwalski to finally confess what happened. There may have been a lot of officers who fit the first category, but few in the second.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat May 02, 2020 7:49 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:But, to be clear. Her needing rehabilitation is as a result of being relieved of duty?

Her career needed rehabilitation, not her person. Though it's possible she underwent psychological counselling for survivor's syndrome. Because she failed to offer any defence on her behalf, the board as forced to conclude Santino's explanation and assessment of her were correct, even if they had suspicions they weren't.She wasn't cashiered out, so the board may have offered her leniency. Even then, with that taint on her file, few officers would give her a second chance.

Except for an officer who knew Santino and could guess the truth behind what the reports said. And who had the opportunity to get Jaruwalski to finally confess what happened. There may have been a lot of officers who fit the first category, but few in the second.

And then the third category, the horsepower to do something about fixing the situation.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat May 02, 2020 9:11 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Except for an officer who knew Santino and could guess the truth behind what the reports said. And who had the opportunity to get Jaruwalski to finally confess what happened. There may have been a lot of officers who fit the first category, but few in the second.

And even Honor mused to herself, even knowing all about Santino and his tendency to be unprepared and then blame others for it, that she wasn't sure she'd have been able to dismissis his charges against Jaruwalksi; knowing that Jaruwalksi had recommended immediate withdrawl. Not without Honor's empath ability giving her direct insight into why that was actually recommended.

Ashes of Victory wrote:She didn't know whether she would have called Jaruwalski's answer "good" if not for her link to Nimitz and her ability to experience the commander's emotions and honesty directly. She liked to hope she would have, yet her own nagging honesty made her wonder if she really would have been able to look at the reply with sufficient dispassion for that.
That's how pernicious that kind of accusation from beyond the grave is, even when you know the person making it is a vindictive incompetent. It's nearly impossible to keep their posthumous accusation from shading your views on the recommendations provided by the accused; because this one time they might have been right. And of course that's magnified when the accused isn't willing to lay out a defense of why she made the recommendation to withdraw without engaging the enemy.

(Even if she'd made a defense the accusation would still tend to raise doubts about whether that defense was what she was thinking at the time, or a later justification create to explain away a panicked reaction to flee. But without the defense on what basis could the board entirely dismiss Santino's accusation?)

Return to Honorverse