Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

State Sec in RHN

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
State Sec in RHN
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:14 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

How many, if any, State Sec naval force survivors were allowed to join the "new" Republic of Haven Navy? Not those who crewed or commanded ships or larger formations that went rogue. Personnel from ships that declared their support of the new government promptly after the coup.
Re: State Sec in RHN
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:25 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:How many, if any, State Sec naval force survivors were allowed to join the "new" Republic of Haven Navy? Not those who crewed or commanded ships or larger formations that went rogue. Personnel from ships that declared their support of the new government promptly after the coup.

I don't recall anything specifically in the books.

I doubt any were allowed to remain together as a crew. But broken up and spread around the fleet? Wouldn't surprise me if some were . You'd need some kind of investigation to make sure they hadn't been complicit in atrocities against anybody, and as best you can that they'd be loyal to the restored constitution.

OTOH State Sec didn't have all that many naval forces (especially not after Shannon's little oops) - so Thiesman or Pritchart may have decided it was more expedient to make a clean break with the Peeps, and bar any former State Sec personnel from the Republic of Haven's armed forces.
Post by kzt   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
OTOH State Sec didn't have all that many naval forces (especially not after Shannon's little oops) - so Thiesman or Pritchart may have decided it was more expedient to make a clean break with the Peeps, and bar any former State Sec personnel from the Republic of Haven's armed forces.

And they are going to do what then with their lives? How will that likely work out? Paul Bremer, is that you?
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:57 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Probably few to none even tried to join, for the simple fact that Pritchart was arresting known criminals. It's unlikely anyone got command of a StateSec ship, battalion, or any other unit without doing things that decent people would consider crimes. There was simply no advantage for the officers to stay. So they tried to become warlords or fled and became pirates.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:

And they are going to do what then with their lives? How will that likely work out? Paul Bremer, is that you?

There are several possible approaches:
First, rigorously investigate them back to moment of conception to assess their commitment to the restored Republic, and involvement in atrocities. Then,

Those found to have violated the military or civilian law would be referred to the appropriate authorities for further investigation and prosecution.

- Assign the most trustworthy individuals to RHN ships one by one. Take a while for them to work their way back to command and equivalent enlisted slots (Bosun, etc.).
- Allow them to enter the merchant service. Again, not as Masters at first.
- Retrain them for some non-space role in the economy.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:

:D

Though StateSec should be a far smaller percentage of the total population than the Iraqi military was. And there are possible options between "keep them all in your military" and "immediately send them home without pay and whatever weapons they care to walk off with".

But like I said earlier in my post, I wouldn't be surprise if many of those crews were kept; simply reassigned, piecemeal, across the fleet. OTOH it's also possible that RFC had Pritchat and Theisman make, shall we say, sub optimal choice about ex-StateSec that'll come back as interesting problems down the road.
Post by jchilds   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:02 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Put Victor Cachat in charge of vetting anyone from StateSec who applies. Problem solved. :lol:
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Are you kidding me? Every one of those idiots should be drummed out of the Navy, or kept if they showed a knack for WALKING THE PLANK!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

as shown in "the Fanatic" I think it was, (the one where Victor has to deal single-handed with a fleet commanded by Admiral Chin), not all State Sec were psychotic, mindless killing machines.

a great many yes but not all, so you need to have someone like Kevin Usher work out who is worth redeeming and who is a waste of oxygen. Those he says are trust worthy you transfer to Fleet or Marines or shipyard as they prefer; the rest can be quietly put out the airlock.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Are you kidding me? Every one of those idiots should be drummed out of the Navy, or kept if they showed a knack for WALKING THE PLANK!

But how do you find out which ones are idiots and which ones are actually good ones that the idiots kept down?

And you can't simply show the outside of an airlock to all StateSec commissioners without some vetting. Just think of this one previous commissioner: Eloise Pritchart.

Return to Honorverse