Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 59 guests

Time Skip?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Time Skip?
Post by MC1560   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:56 pm

MC1560
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Do you think we will be getting a time skip putting us a few decades into the future?

What do you think the setting will be like if we do?
Re: Time Skip?
Post by kzt   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:21 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

MC1560 wrote:Do you think we will be getting a time skip putting us a few decades into the future?

What do you think the setting will be like if we do?

If there is another series I expect it to be a decade+ in the future. I have no real idea, but I expect that the tech gap between everyone else and the RNM will largely be gone. MAN expected they would have compact fusion reactors in a few years. Streak drive will be in limited use by RMN, Phase 2 or phase 3 will be in use by MAN. Possible streak drive tech released generally.

Spider will still be a mystery. FTL tech common, Apollo still not quite there for anyone unless tech is stolen.
Post by tlb   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:49 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

MC1560 wrote:Do you think we will be getting a time skip putting us a few decades into the future?

If you mean the next book, being written with Eric Flint? Then it will be set immediately after UH with people digging into Mesa looking for clues and the Solarian Ghost Hunters digging out the corruption at their end.

Whether there will be a series featuring Honor's children and others of that generation depends on RFC; but I do not expect it to be forthcoming at time soon.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:21 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

No.

I expect the whole war with the MAlign to be concluded within 15 years of in-Universe time, 20 at most. We'll go faster through time in the books, unlike the past handful that have all been in the 1920-1923 PD time frame. It'll be like the first half of the books that got us from 1902 to 1915.

To be clear: this is entirely my speculation.

The time skip that RFC had planned on, to see Honor's children take up her mantle, may have been disrupted by bringing the MAlign thread closer so as to give Eric Flint an enemy for Crown of Slaves.
Post by Fireflair   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:44 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

My money is on a time jump because of the goal to push Honor out of the center of the books. What we might see is that the supporting characters that we've all enjoyed are the ones who will handle things to wrap up the series.

Even a 20 year time jump doesn't get Honor's kids into the driver's seat for the books. You're going to need 25+ years to get them out into the fleet as officers, even on their first tours. A good chance for MAlignment revenge attacks, but if they MAlignment is smart they'd still keep their heads down and play the long game, give things 50 or 100 years to calm down and for them to build up their advantages again.

However, if RFC decides to wrap the series up because of the terrible duo finding out about the wormhole and such, that would give the supporting characters a chance to go forth and shine. Honor could feature some cameos as she's consulted by the queen or admiralty. And that would give you snap shots of her family life, how the kids are growing up and the psychic abilities of the kids/treecats.
Post by tlb   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:45 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Fireflair wrote:My money is on a time jump because of the goal to push Honor out of the center of the books. What we might see is that the supporting characters that we've all enjoyed are the ones who will handle things to wrap up the series.

*** snip ***

However, if RFC decides to wrap the series up because of the terrible duo finding out about the wormhole and such, that would give the supporting characters a chance to go forth and shine. Honor could feature some cameos as she's consulted by the queen or admiralty. And that would give you snap shots of her family life, how the kids are growing up and the psychic abilities of the kids/treecats.

The end of UH saw Damien Harahap and cat added to Cachet, Zilwicki and Palane on Mesa. Meanwhile the Solarian Ghost Hunters are making progress on the penetration of the Solarian League by agents of Malign. Any time skip would miss all of their accomplishments.

That is why I think your last paragraph is operative.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:The end of UH saw Damien Harahap and cat added to Cachet, Zilwicki and Palane on Mesa. Meanwhile the Solarian Ghost Hunters are making progress on the penetration of the Solarian League by agents of Malign. Any time skip would miss all of their accomplishments.

That is why I think your last paragraph is operative.

And RFC has hinted that the terrible duo is now a trio and may be joined by a Ghost Hunter on Mesa on the next CS book.

So unless they're going to come up empty or short of discovering enough, I think we will see the action much closer to now.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:13 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:To be clear: this is entirely my speculation.

The time skip that RFC had planned on, to see Honor's children take up her mantle, may have been disrupted by bringing the MAlign thread closer so as to give Eric Flint an enemy for Crown of Slaves.

In https://youtu.be/lE0PfuOJ1vw?t=1254, David says that he pulled the story forward 20 years because of Crown of Slaves.

Return to Honorverse