Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Not Her Own

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Not Her Own
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:21 pm

TFLYTSNBN

ZVar wrote:And remember, even if she had higher than average IQ (was that mentioned, I don't remember?) it didn't help her is some situations.
She almost flunked out of Saganami on her super poor math skills.
It took, I believe, Mike and Raoul Courvosier to tutor he so she just barely squeaked by.

I continue to suspect that Honor's math difficulties we're the result of Nimitz looking over her shoulder to try to understand the concepts.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:40 am

Joat42
Admiral

Fox2! wrote:The text makes no reference to any warning from Nimitz, emphasizing that Honor took in the entire gestalt of her opponent, and had no idea of how she had chosen the moment to strike. Just a lifetime spent in training for unarmed combat, and a career reading her opponents.

This concept is very prevalent in the Japanese stories about samurais. I can recommend Musashi (宮本武蔵, Miyamoto Musashi) by Eiji Yoshikawa where this is explored.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:48 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
ZVar wrote:And remember, even if she had higher than average IQ (was that mentioned, I don't remember?) it didn't help her is some situations.
It took, I believe, Mike and Raoul Courvosier to tutor he so she just barely squeaked by.

I continue to suspect that Honor's math difficulties we're the result of Nimitz looking over her shoulder to try to understand the concepts.

For a People whose number theory goes 1, 2,3, ... hand, ... hand of hands, and maxes out at many hands of hands, plain calculus, never mind the math required for hyperspace, is going to be daunting.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:59 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Take it from someone who has a borderline-genius IQ and still never managed to learn calculus - IQ has very little to do with how good you are at learning things. Particularly maths. It can make some things easier - I was reading at a 12th-grade level by the time I was 11, and not through any effort on my part - but that still didn't mean I could get through The Two Towers at 12 when I got bored of figuring out how many times Tolkien could describe the same tree, or that I could get through Crime and Punishment at 17 when I got bored of its.... everything. I suspect Honor's innate ability to discipline herself, put in the work, and apply what she's learned has far more to do with her academic and professional success than her IQ ever did. Which is why my best friend is on his way to his 2nd Master's degree whereas I've only just got my Bachelor's, despite his IQ being "merely" above average.

ETA: I also don't think her mods have anything to do with her tactical gifts. Unless RFC hasn't told us something about Lester Tourville, he is arguably her equal in terms of innate tactical gifts, and he's a normal (though highly intelligent) human.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by phillies   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:19 pm

phillies
Admiral

RoseAndHeather: You seemed to disappear. Welcome back.

roseandheather wrote:

Take it from someone who has a borderline-genius IQ and still never managed to learn calculus - IQ has very little to do with how good you are at learning things. Particularly maths. It can make some things easier - I was reading at a 12th-grade level by the time I was 11, and not through any effort on my part - but that still didn't mean I could get through The Two Towers at 12 when I got bored of figuring out how many times Tolkien could describe the same tree, or that I could get through Crime and Punishment at 17 when I got bored of its.... everything. I suspect Honor's innate ability to discipline herself, put in the work, and apply what she's learned has far more to do with her academic and professional success than her IQ ever did. Which is why my best friend is on his way to his 2nd Master's degree whereas I've only just got my Bachelor's, despite his IQ being "merely" above average.

ETA: I also don't think her mods have anything to do with her tactical gifts. Unless RFC hasn't told us something about Lester Tourville, he is arguably her equal in terms of innate tactical gifts, and he's a normal (though highly intelligent) human.

Return to Honorverse