Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S, tlb and 50 guests

hypatia

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
hypatia
Post by alicemorgan   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:51 pm

alicemorgan
Midshipman

I was reading uncompromising honor and saw references to hypatia. I checked all the books on honor Harrington and couldn't find the story of hypatia. Can someone tell what book I have missed?
Re: hypatia
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:59 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

alicemorgan wrote:I was reading uncompromising honor and saw references to hypatia. I checked all the books on honor Harrington and couldn't find the story of hypatia. Can someone tell what book I have missed?
Hypatia is almost entirely discussed within Uncompromising Honor.

The only 2 references a text search of the books turned up before that were:
1) A passing mention of it in A Rising Thunder, while Manticoran merchies were being recalled during Lacoön.

2) Shadow of Victory mentions that Colonel Kirsten MacChrystal, of the United Public Safety Force on Loomis, has a Hypatian Mountain Hound "an ancient breed, produced in the Hypatia System over a thousand years ago out of a crossing of the even more ancient Rottweiler and Greater Swiss Mountain Dog"
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:49 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

alicemorgan wrote:I was reading uncompromising honor and saw references to hypatia. I checked all the books on honor Harrington and couldn't find the story of hypatia. Can someone tell what book I have missed?

Hello alicemorgan

welcome to the forum. You have not missed anything, Hypatia wasn't discussed in other books.

But as Jonathan pointed out, RFC (runsforcelery, a.k.a. David Weber) is very good at hiding references to future people or places in previous books. He's usually planned ahead several books -- or so it seems to us. I have not done so yet, but from discussions here in the forum, it seems that once you do a second read of all books, you'll pick up on those subtle hints.
Post by alicemorgan   » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:01 pm

alicemorgan
Midshipman

okay thanks I kept thinking I had missed a book somewhere when their was a mention in uncomprising honor where apparently one of manticorans mentioned how one ship was destroyed defending hypatia.
Post by tlb   » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:19 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

alicemorgan wrote:okay thanks I kept thinking I had missed a book somewhere when their was a mention in uncomprising honor where apparently one of manticorans mentioned how one ship was destroyed defending hypatia.

The battle of Hypatia begins about page 256 in the hardback version of UH and continues to about page 319 ; you cannot miss it.

Return to Honorverse