Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

Black market arms post league collapse.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Black market arms post league collapse.
Post by Captain Golding   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:43 am

Captain Golding
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I suspect that there will be a lot of places on the remoter sides of the League that will want to buy weapons well up to the SD level. Some of those will be current League systems that will want to upgrade their own SDF's and will have the money. Verge systems will probably not have the capital.

I also suspect the remaining League authority will not be able to stop Technodyne selling where they want while the Malign will be encouraging the chaos.

Yes by Haven Sector standards those are just targets, little better than merchant ships. But to most people in most places latest SLN Standard is going to be the byword in up-to-date. Mostly because their news came through the Min of Education on Sol posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=10478#.

Malign and their proxies know better but it suites them to have those groups they don't control to militarize and be stomped on by those they do, especially if they can spin the news still.

Also I don't think the GA is going to try to police the whole Fringe/ Verge space for everybody else. Only those areas that are within their own economic sphere will be getting GA protection and flag visits.

So yes lots of room for creative chaos with ex SLN assets of all sizes.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Also important to note: Technodyne's main shipyards are located in Yildun, an otherwise-uninhabited system. Per the ultimatum Honor delivered regarding the new Solarian League constitution, Yildun would have the right to secede from the League which would leave them with one of the galaxy's biggest shipyards, full knowledge of cutting edge SLN tech, and no external control on who they can sell to. There will be few SLN ship designs on the black market because Technodyne can sell brand new ones completely out in the open.
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I think Technodyne and Yildun should get a visit from a GA Task Force and get their data cores emptied.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:I think Technodyne and Yildun should get a visit from a GA Task Force and get their data cores emptied.

That should have been part of the surrender agreement, since Yildun is such a tough nut to crack.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I think Technodyne and Yildun should get a visit from a GA Task Force and get their data cores emptied.

That should have been part of the surrender agreement, since Yildun is such a tough nut to crack.

We don't have the rest of the agreement though we have the important points from the open channel broadcast in the Sol System. What Honor and Kingsford "discussed" in the fact-to-face meeting he had when he then went out to the meeting she called him to is not yet part of what has been revealed. There were probaly a lot, a real lot, of SLN assets in building or trials at Yildun when the SLN surrendered. Given that those would be the most modern of the SLN ships and given that SLN had already agreed to hand over ALL of the research, prototypes, deisgnes and other information, the next logical step would be to provide an order to their major supplier (Technodyne) to hand over everyting at their facilites. Technodyne is already in really deep water between providing the ships to Monica and then being the source of the Cataphracts which it delivered to SLN, I'm sure at least Manticore if not also Haven and a few others wants to get to the root of that.
So, if an SLN ship shows up (with GA personel aboard to assure compliance) along with a sizable contingent of GA warships, do you think Technodyne is going to open fire? They might. They might also start dying in droves if the Alignment nanites have been liberaly spread around to eliminate loose ends. Will Technodyne be happy to comply.....well, no.
How large a private SDF does Technodyne- which builds warships and space weapons systems for a major protion of it's business- have? No idea. Might there also be other customer's ships, including warships, in system and working up? Quite possibly. Are any of them going to tell the GA to blow it out their ear if issued an order to shut down wedges and wait to be boarded? Well, that depends on where they are in relation to the hyper-limit and the GA forces. Some, like any merchant ship in the system, might just run on general principals but we will have to see.

An intersting side question would be what the GA might also do when they get there. There is a lot, really lot of fabrication equipment along with records and those records might make life very intersting for a lot of people reguarding construction of ships for the slave trade as well as things that Technodyne has been doing that violate lots of laws- even SL laws in reguard to all manner of things. Sure, they have an army of lawyers. I'll let the author decide if he is going to go down that route. Besides, all that data might just provide some key informaton to where they can find tenticles of the Alignment. Again, could be a massive die-off comming in Technodyne people and a lot of customer/business associates of them due to Alignment anti-capture devices.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:40 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:An intersting side question would be what the GA might also do when they get there. There is a lot, really lot of fabrication equipment along with records and those records might make life very intersting for a lot of people reguarding construction of ships for the slave trade as well as things that Technodyne has been doing that violate lots of laws- even SL laws in reguard to all manner of things. Sure, they have an army of lawyers. I'll let the author decide if he is going to go down that route. Besides, all that data might just provide some key informaton to where they can find tenticles of the Alignment. Again, could be a massive die-off comming in Technodyne people and a lot of customer/business associates of them due to Alignment anti-capture devices.

Yildun is not a member of the League, as it has no planetary government. Whether it is considered a dependency of the League and whether Technodyne is subject to League laws is unknown. As a major supplier, it probably needs to follow a lot of regulations and reporting requirements, which we of course know to be ignored very frequently.

In any case, I got the impression that the Technodyne annex to Naval Station Ganymede had a copy of all the research materials. Yildun itself may only get a visit if there were prototypes that the GA wanted that weren't in Sol and the blueprints aren't sufficient.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Brigade XO wrote:We don't have the rest of the agreement though we have the important points from the open channel broadcast in the Sol System. What Honor and Kingsford "discussed" in the fact-to-face meeting he had when he then went out to the meeting she called him to is not yet part of what has been revealed. There were probaly a lot, a real lot, of SLN assets in building or trials at Yildun when the SLN surrendered. Given that those would be the most modern of the SLN ships and given that SLN had already agreed to hand over ALL of the research, prototypes, deisgnes and other information, the next logical step would be to provide an order to their major supplier (Technodyne) to hand over everyting at their facilites. Technodyne is already in really deep water between providing the ships to Monica and then being the source of the Cataphracts which it delivered to SLN, I'm sure at least Manticore if not also Haven and a few others wants to get to the root of that.
So, if an SLN ship shows up (with GA personel aboard to assure compliance) along with a sizable contingent of GA warships, do you think Technodyne is going to open fire? They might. They might also start dying in droves if the Alignment nanites have been liberaly spread around to eliminate loose ends. Will Technodyne be happy to comply.....well, no.
How large a private SDF does Technodyne- which builds warships and space weapons systems for a major protion of it's business- have? No idea. Might there also be other customer's ships, including warships, in system and working up? Quite possibly. Are any of them going to tell the GA to blow it out their ear if issued an order to shut down wedges and wait to be boarded? Well, that depends on where they are in relation to the hyper-limit and the GA forces. Some, like any merchant ship in the system, might just run on general principals but we will have to see.

An intersting side question would be what the GA might also do when they get there. There is a lot, really lot of fabrication equipment along with records and those records might make life very intersting for a lot of people reguarding construction of ships for the slave trade as well as things that Technodyne has been doing that violate lots of laws- even SL laws in reguard to all manner of things. Sure, they have an army of lawyers. I'll let the author decide if he is going to go down that route. Besides, all that data might just provide some key informaton to where they can find tenticles of the Alignment. Again, could be a massive die-off comming in Technodyne people and a lot of customer/business associates of them due to Alignment anti-capture devices.

I think Technodyne has been pretty much vindicated of their sins since they came thru for the SLN with the Cataphracts, so says UH.

But, thinking about that thread as I was digesting UH, I kept screaming at Honor, YILDUN! YILDUN! Because it'd be ironic if game changing tech was located at Yildun but was missed by Honor, and later bit the RMN on the ass like the oil fields missed at Pearl by the Japanese.

But you're right, we don't all know what was agreed on. Glad you brought it up tho.

I think the Ghost Hunters might be able to sniff out some crumbs there.

Anyway, I've always thought there was a booming black market in munitions. Heck, just one hijacked freighter by pirates, and voila. Black Market.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse