Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

Raoul/Katherine Inheritance

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Raoul/Katherine Inheritance
Post by jchilds   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:41 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Didn't White Haven show off baby pictures to both of Allison's parents in UH? While they were skiing or something?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

jchilds wrote:Didn't White Haven show off baby pictures to both of Allison's parents in UH? While they were skiing or something?

Good memory. I'd totally forgotten that.
Uncompromising Honor wrote:Among other things, it had been White Haven’s responsibility to show off several terabytes of video of Caspar Benton-Ramirez y Chou and Jennifer Feliciana Benton-Ramirez y Chou’s newest great-grandchildren, and the great-grandparents in question had been vacationing on a skiing trip to Cassandra’s spectacular Freyja Mountains.

What I had remembered what RFC saying, in his original plan where Honor died in the Battle of Manticore, how he's had in his mind the scene were Alison and her mother reunite for basically the first time since Alison left Beowulf. (And I'm definitely not going to do what he said justice) But basically in consoling Alison in her grief Jennifer realizes that their stubbornness meant that she never got to meet Honor and what a loss that was.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:38 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:What I had remembered what RFC saying, in his original plan where Honor died in the Battle of Manticore, how he's had in his mind the scene were Alison and her mother reunite for basically the first time since Alison left Beowulf. (And I'm definitely not going to do what he said justice) But basically in consoling Alison in her grief Jennifer realizes that their stubbornness meant that she never got to meet Honor and what a loss that was.

Just because Allison never went back to meet her parents doesn't mean Honor didn't take a vacation in Beowulf. She was sufficiently in contact with her uncle Jacques to be initiated into the Society for Creative Anachronisms through him.

But I suppose she hasn't had much of a chance for vacations. She went from hang-gliding in the Copperwalls in Sphinx to the Saganami Island and then deployed. The first real chance she'd had for vacation was when High Ridge & Janacek benched her.
Post by Somtaaw   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:46 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Just because Allison never went back to meet her parents doesn't mean Honor didn't take a vacation in Beowulf. She was sufficiently in contact with her uncle Jacques to be initiated into the Society for Creative Anachronisms through him.

Point of order, we had that Manty commander in the Silver Cephids who really REALLY wanted to get back to Manticore when they thought they were checking out a fake hyper contact for her own SoCA meet. And Honor's an honorary member of the same branch, so just because Jacques was into it (on Beowulf) doesn't mean Honor was regularly travelling to Beowulf herself to attend meetings when there was at least a branch on Manticore, if there wasn't another on Sphinx too.

Taking a day shuttle to Beowulf and back is seemingly about a Manticoran day, give or take. Before she started buying her own starships, she needed at least 2 days of naval leave to make any trip worth taking. Manticore orbit to the Junction alone took Wayfarer (civilian ship) 8ish hours to do, figure the same for Beowulf terminus to Beowulf orbit then double it for the round trip. 32 hours just travelling, 8-16 hours to do whatever in Beowulf, and doubling sleep up during the Planet<>Terminus part of the trip.

I think the most 'free' time Honor's ever had in the whole series was after she killed Pavel Young and got beached. Before she went back to Grayson, she spent time various on Manticore & Sphinx, scaring the crap out of her armsmen as she took them blue water sailing, or "mountain climbing" (really just hiking), and hang-gliding the Copper Walls before she finally went to Grayson and started learning to be a steadholder. She may have squeezed an unmentioned trip to Beowulf somewhere in that timeframe, but unlikely.

Every other point in time, from OBS to UH, Honor's been pretty throughly busy with one thing or another. Whether politically active and voting as a member of the Lords or Council of Steadholders, active naval career on various ships or task forces deploying very quickly so she barely had time to even visit family on Sphinx (Wayfarer command); teaching at Saganami Island while Jancek beached her for the High Ridge government, or on medical leave for her various severe injuries which required continual rehab treatments.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 am

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Are Allison's parents still alive? Allison and Alfred are around 90 years old now and the oldest First Gen Prolong recipients were around 120, so it's possible they are. They probably were among the first 20 people in the universe to get it: wealthy Beowulfans that probably even worked on the research. And even if they didn't get prolong so they could live to 300, they probably had a very long lifespan anyway, sufficient to account for the fact that Allison is much younger than her two brothers.

Jennifer is the first person to undergo prolong treatment, as she tried her invention out on her self, according to Hamish's musings as he is preparing to meet his grandmother-in-law in UH. Even he, scion of one of the oldest families on Manticore, friend, advisor, and confidant of prime ministers, queens, protectors, and Salamanders, was somewhat overwhelmed in realizing just who she is.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:28 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Just because Allison never went back to meet her parents doesn't mean Honor didn't take a vacation in Beowulf. She was sufficiently in contact with her uncle Jacques to be initiated into the Society for Creative Anachronisms through him.

Point of order, we had that Manty commander in the Silver Cephids who really REALLY wanted to get back to Manticore when they thought they were checking out a fake hyper contact for her own SoCA meet. And Honor's an honorary member of the same branch, so just because Jacques was into it (on Beowulf) doesn't mean Honor was regularly travelling to Beowulf herself to attend meetings when there was at least a branch on Manticore, if there wasn't another on Sphinx too.

True, I didn't mean that Honor travelled to Beowulf for the SCA meets. Only that she was in sufficient contact with her uncle through letters to know he was a member and to be initiated on her own. I suppose Jacques travelled to Sphinx more than once and met with his twin sister, which would have given him the chance to pass his hobby to his niece.

I agree with your post that Honor definitely didn't have much time available since OBS and probably since going to Saganami Island in the first place. But as you calculated, a round-trip to Beowulf can be done in a week, so she could have had that opportunity multiple times even since as a child, when school was out during the long Sphinxian Winters. And if not Allison, Alfred might have wanted to send his daughter to meet the rest of her family, since he's a through-and-through Harrington who did introduce Honor to the whole Clan.

If nothing else, that would leave the 40-year-old Second Gen Prolongs at home with no kids. "Definitely spanking"...
Post by tlb   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:50 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Point of order, we had that Manty commander in the Silver Cephids who really REALLY wanted to get back to Manticore when they thought they were checking out a fake hyper contact for her own SoCA meet. And Honor's an honorary member of the same branch, so just because Jacques was into it (on Beowulf) doesn't mean Honor was regularly travelling to Beowulf herself to attend meetings when there was at least a branch on Manticore, if there wasn't another on Sphinx too.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:True, I didn't mean that Honor travelled to Beowulf for the SCA meets. Only that she was in sufficient contact with her uncle through letters to know he was a member and to be initiated on her own. I suppose Jacques travelled to Sphinx more than once and met with his twin sister, which would have given him the chance to pass his hobby to his niece.

I agree with your post that Honor definitely didn't have much time available since OBS and probably since going to Saganami Island in the first place. But as you calculated, a round-trip to Beowulf can be done in a week, so she could have had that opportunity multiple times even since as a child, when school was out during the long Sphinxian Winters. And if not Allison, Alfred might have wanted to send his daughter to meet the rest of her family, since he's a through-and-through Harrington who did introduce Honor to the whole Clan.

If nothing else, that would leave the 40-year-old Second Gen Prolongs at home with no kids. "Definitely spanking"...

From Honor Among Enemies, chapter 3:
"My mom's older brother. He came out from Beowulf to visit us for about a year when I was, oh, twelve T-years old, and he belongs to the Society for Creative Anachronisms. They're a weird group that enjoys recreating the past the way it ought to have been. Uncle Jacques' own favorite period was the second-century Ante Diaspora—uh, that would be the twentieth-century," she added, since Grayson still used the ancient Gregorian calendar "—and he was Planetary Reserve Grand Pistol Champion that year. He's just as handsome as Mother is beautiful, too, and I adored him." She rolled her eyes with a grin. "I followed him around like a love-struck puppy, which must have been maddening, but he never showed it. Instead, he taught me to shoot what he called real guns, and"—she chuckled—"Nimitz didn't like the muzzle blast then, either."
"That's because Nimitz is a cultured and discerning individual, My Lady."
"Ha! Anyway, I kept it up pretty regularly till I went off to the Academy, and I considered going out for the pistol team then. But I was already pretty good with small arms and I'd only started studying the coup about four years before I passed the entrance exams, so I decided to stick with the martial arts and wound up on the unarmed combat team, instead."
Re: Polygamy & Inheritance
Post by B9Lurker   » Thu May 07, 2020 8:55 am

B9Lurker
BuNine

MC1560 wrote:
tlb wrote:The Harrington and White Haven votes in the House of Lords support the Crown, If they are combined into one person then the Crown loses a vote, since I assume a member can only vote once. By splitting them the Crown supporters continue to have both votes.
According to the wiki "All peerages above the rank of Baron from the three original planets of the Star Kingdom held two seats in the Lords: one for the current holder of the peerage and another "cadet seat" for his or her heir. Also, peers of the realm who had more than one title of nobility were entitled to have as many as two seats (and votes) with their respective cadet seats in the House".

The problem with your scenario is that there is no guarantee that Katherine or anyone else will vote the same way as Raoul, thus they end up losing those votes anyway.

Sorry for getting here so late.Ok this is my specialty.

First of, not all Barons, Earls and Dukes sit in the SKM House of Lords. In fact only 587 in 1921 P.D sit there. The rest sit in local planetary houses. (by the way there are no Viscounts or Marquesses. Marquess of New Dublin has been Retconned to another title).

The only Barons that sit in the SKM House of Lords are those that of the first 50 families. And there is not many of them left that haven't been elevated. High Ridge and Low Delhi are two examples. William Alexander, got what is called a Writ of Summons, making him the first Hereditary voting Baron in the SKM House of Lords since the Founding.

Countess Sarah Harrington, should be 3rd Countess. But I put it down to the book saying that she is the second female to receive the title :lol:

1. Honor Harrington, 1st Countess Harrington.
2. Devon Harrington, 2nd Earl Harrington.
3. Sarah Harrington, 3rd Countess Harrington.

As for who gets what titles in regards to Raoul and Katherine?

well...... OMG look over there!! :lol:

Scott.
Post by kzt   » Thu May 07, 2020 12:08 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Thanks!

Return to Honorverse