Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

David Weber and Friends talk Space Warfighting!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
David Weber and Friends talk Space Warfighting!
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

just got an e-mail from another writer saying he will be hosting a talk with various other SF writers, including RFC.

it is being done via the Zoom chat software.

Saturday, April 11th @ 3pm EST

The panel will kick off with an interview with David, followed by a reading from one of his books, and David will then lead Christopher Weuve, Joelle Presby, our very own Jacob (Holo), and others in a discussion about space warfighting: What would it really look like? How would military and/or political strategy shift in an interstellar setting? How would space affect military R&D?
Re: David Weber and Friends talk Space Warfighting!
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Dauntless wrote:just got an e-mail from another writer saying he will be hosting a talk with various other SF writers, including RFC.

it is being done via the Zoom chat software.

Saturday, April 11th @ 3pm EST

The panel will kick off with an interview with David, followed by a reading from one of his books, and David will then lead Christopher Weuve, Joelle Presby, our very own Jacob (Holo), and others in a discussion about space warfighting: What would it really look like? How would military and/or political strategy shift in an interstellar setting? How would space affect military R&D?

Zoom is not a good idea for security reasons.
Post by kzt   » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

It's adequate for this purpose, if properly configured.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:28 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Fox2! wrote:

It's adequate for this purpose, if properly configured.

Except when the call details are posted online, where people with questionable intentions can find. Like this forum.
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:16 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Zoom can be set up to require a password to join the session.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:38 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

It's not a good idea if the discussion is intended to be viewed live by an audience. It's perfectly fine if they're just having a discussion and recording it for later release on youtube or something.

If they want a live audience, it would be much better to stream it on twitch or youtube.
Post by bert953   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:14 am

bert953
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I'd love to hear this discussion or even better the recording so I can listen @ 1.5 speed. Anyone have an idea how to get the link or credentials or as I said a recording? As avid sci-fi buffs, I'm sure we'd all love some good material since we're all on lockdown.

Thanks in advance
Post by Theemile   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:29 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

As a Video Conferencing Professional, There is exactly one thing wrong with Zoom - no end to end encryption.

The issues with Zoom bombing are the same on every other VC platform - people don't use randomized PMIs (the meeting #) and don't use randomized passcodes as a convenience. All these can be turned on in the account settings, but people either do not do it, or don't know that they can do it. Many who have the option, decide not to use it because it complicates their meeting life, preferring to hand out a standard meeting link, like they would a phone #.

In addition, it is always good to turn on your waiting room, for unidentified users, and lock a meeting once all the invited members have joined - all standard options on VC platforms, including Zoom.

Depending on your account, you can set Zoom in Lecture mode, where a small # of speakers are lecturers, and the rest join with their audio, video, and content sharing muted. So even if someone bombs, unless they have the special lecture codes, no one will see or hear them.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I personally greatly prefer WebEx, but zoom can work if you put some effort into managing it. It's not what you want to plot your conspiracy to import 20 tons of fentanyl into Long Beach or plan your invasion of Vladivostk on, but zoom is minimally adequate for this purpose.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:I personally greatly prefer WebEx, but zoom can work if you put some effort into managing it. It's not what you want to plot your conspiracy to import 20 tons of fentanyl into Long Beach or plan your invasion of Vladivostk on, but zoom is minimally adequate for this purpose.

Zoom's one advantage (other than it's free tier, and it's platform agnostic nature), is you can see 50 people on your screen at one time. Most other platforms show a limited # of users at any time

Other than in a classroom setting, I find this is almost pointless. 95% of the time users are paying attention to the active speaker, or to a small group or speakers passing details back and forth. If you have more than 20 people on a call (audio or visual), you really need operator moderation or need to have the majority of users auto muted, or else the meeting will devolve into madness. I found that with calls over 30 users, there is >75% chance that a user will leave their mic open when not speaking, place their call on hold, accidentally turn on their desktop content or camera, etc.

I "love" having a Fortune 500 CEO come steaming at me because his important call fell apart because it sounded like someone was driving in a convertible with the top down, demanding to know what broke to cause this and to have it fixed ASAP so it never happen again. Only to find out that it was because the CFO was returning from the airport... in his convertible... with the top down... and didn't mute his phone.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse