Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests

Quarantine would a lot easier with some snippets.......

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Quarantine would a lot easier with some snippets.......
Post by tsingel001   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

tsingel001
Midshipman

RFC, you could make everyone's quarantine much more tolerable with some new snippets......

Just saying......
Re: Quarantine would a lot easier with some snippets.......
Post by kzt   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

tsingel001 wrote:RFC, you could make everyone's quarantine much more tolerable with some new snippets......

Just saying......

I really doubt he's got any Honorverse stuff ready to go. But I'd love to be wrong.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 pm

TFLYTSNBN

or an indication that Weber and family are ok.
Post by Erls   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:21 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:
tsingel001 wrote:RFC, you could make everyone's quarantine much more tolerable with some new snippets......

Just saying......

I really doubt he's got any Honorverse stuff ready to go. But I'd love to be wrong.

Maybe something from the next Manticore Ascendant?

I think that should be coming out this year (last book was March or 2018).
Post by Peter2   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Erls wrote:
[snip]

Maybe something from the next Manticore Ascendant?

I think that should be coming out this year (last book was March or 2018).

I suspect you're being optimistic :(

I don't know what RFC's health is like these days, but I wouldn't be too surprised if his future output is going to be few and far between. :(
Post by Tregonsee   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Tregonsee
Ensign

Agreed. The next best things are interviews on
"The Weberverse" YouTube channel. The topics are all over the place, sometimes in the same recording.
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

FYI if you didn't get the memo, there are lots of interviews with David on YouTube. I think this is the one, or one, where he confirms that Honor's rides are pretty much done. I think he said that means she's no longer even Grand Fleet commander. I suppose she'll fill some civilian capacity in the Admiralty. Sad news for me. He said he didn't want Honor to become a Captain Kirk who keeps getting demoted so they could have an excuse to put him on a ship. LOL

He also mirrored one of my thoughts, or incredulity, that Kirk was always the one sent down on a planet to face the danger. "The Captain is the one person who is NOT expendable." I know, right Weber!

Albeit, he and I missed the subtle fact that the one person aboard Kirk's ship who was not expendable, was Spock. Who was rarely sent down on planet. LOL

David also forgot the one time he allowed it himself, when he sent Honor down on planet to deal with the Faithful, which put her in a situation where she almost ruined her career. She also could have gotten shot.

At any rate, David talks about projects he's working on and the fact the mainline novels will center around Honor's offspring. I thought it particular funny the part about the possible fear Raoul might have of going into the navy and being put in a situation where he screws up by the numbers, and is charged with "Not being half the man that his mother was." :lol:

That's just plain old wrong on so many levels, but true. :lol:

Anyways, it all reminded me of my thoughts of how it would be nice to witness the growth of MANY of the favorite characters' offspring.

Can you imagine a son of Terekhov, who is as ruthless and frightening as his daddy?

What about an offspring of Bachfish, clearing the family name.

It would be awesome if Weber struck a deal with the quill and wrote in Eloise having a baby from the frozen sperm of her beloved. (Except it would send roseandheather into a frenzy of fits and starts.) It'd be worth it just for that.

Anyways, there are plenty of interviews to quarantine with. David also mentions his very first Sci-Fi read.

Edit: Replaced Tourville with the intended Terekhov.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:24 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:FYI if you didn't get the memo, there are lots of interviews with David on YouTube. I think this is the one, or one, where he confirms that Honor's rides are pretty much done. I think he said that means she's no longer even Grand Fleet commander. I suppose she'll fill some civilian capacity in the Admiralty. Sad news for me. He said he didn't want Honor to become a Captain Kirk who keeps getting demoted so they could have an excuse to put him on a ship. LOL

That video is dated October 2008. It doesn't say when it was actually filmed -- the fact that it's 240p and doesn't even occupy the entire frame tells me that it was filmed with a analogue video camera and improperly digitised. The video date puts it between AAC and MoH, before both Torch of Freedom and Storm from the Shadows. So Honor had already survived the Battle of Manticore, but we don't know how far advanced David's acceleration of the timeline was. We know he had planned that the Alignment be the main antagonist for Honor's children, but he accelerated it to give Eric Flint an enemy. We also see Manpower as the antagonist in The Shadow of Saganami, but there's no mention of the Alignment yet. So take what he says with a grain of salt: he's changed his mind at least twice regarding his long-term plans for the series.

As for Kirk, TBH Picard is even worse. We know from the new series that he was still a captain in 2387. We don't know when he was promoted to Captain, but it it was before 2355, so he was captain for over 32 years (I think it's unlikely he was promoted in 2333, at the age of 28). Kirk was made captain in 2265, promoted in 2270, demoted in 2286 and retired in 2293. In the semi-canon Pocket Books Universe, Picard was offered a promotion in 2381 after the Borg Invasion but refused; in 2386, his involvement with the coup that removed President Zife came to light, so the Starfleet C-in-C told him he'd never be promoted.

[qupte]He also mirrored one of my thoughts, or incredulity, that Kirk was always the one sent down on a planet to face the danger. "The Captain is the one person who is NOT expendable." I know, right Weber!

Albeit, he and I missed the subtle fact that the one person aboard Kirk's ship who was not expendable, was Spock. Who was rarely sent down on planet. LOL[/quote]

Then I recommend you read David Brin's The Ancient Ones, which was published last month. It's comedy sci-fi and in one of the early scenes in the book, the Spock-analogue character remarks that the four seniormost officers of the ship are going down to an unexplored planet. Again.

Anyways, there are plenty of interviews to quarantine with. David also mentions his very first Sci-Fi read.

I'm trying to catch up with my Sci-Fi backlog too. CoDominium is going to be next.
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

You are correct. I posted the wrong interview. It is this one, or one in the same series. It's 2019, he's discussing his upcoming collaborations, and his novel explaining how Alfred decided to become a doctor. Fascinating. I remember being concerned, because he talks about his face plant at Dragon Con? And he has what appears to be a raspberry on his forehead.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by justdave   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:18 am

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

TFLYTSNBN wrote:or an indication that Weber and family are ok.

the MWW was on FB yesterday, said all were well physically but said something about being in quarantine w/3 teenagers, lol

Return to Honorverse