Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

The Inquisition and Holovids

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
The Inquisition and Holovids
Post by Erls   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:51 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

In ATST, we see Clyntahn being shown holovids by Merlin and Nimue of the Archangels. And specifically, we read how Clyntahn knew they were true because he had seen similar movies and heard the same voices in the Inquisition's secret files.

This begs the question: Did that secret die with Clyntahn and Rayno, or did someone in the Inquisition survive who passed down knowledge of the holovids. How to access them, how to view them, etc.

I'm curious because that could be an interesting opening for Charis. If they can find a Grand Vicar they can trust, Paityr could approach him with a "You know, I have this holy artifact that has been passed down within my family. It has this video..." Especially with appearance of Schueler at the end of TFT, Charis may be able to get deeper into the Temple itself and look at some of what is there.
Re: The Inquisition and Holovids
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:31 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Erls wrote:In ATST, we see Clyntahn being shown holovids by Merlin and Nimue of the Archangels. And specifically, we read how Clyntahn knew they were true because he had seen similar movies and heard the same voices in the Inquisition's secret files.

This begs the question: Did that secret die with Clyntahn and Rayno, or did someone in the Inquisition survive who passed down knowledge of the holovids. How to access them, how to view them, etc.

I'm curious because that could be an interesting opening for Charis. If they can find a Grand Vicar they can trust, Paityr could approach him with a "You know, I have this holy artifact that has been passed down within my family. It has this video..." Especially with appearance of Schueler at the end of TFT, Charis may be able to get deeper into the Temple itself and look at some of what is there.

I think, only RFC currently knew that. But he seems to be busy.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Erls   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dilandu wrote:
Erls wrote:In ATST, we see Clyntahn being shown holovids by Merlin and Nimue of the Archangels. And specifically, we read how Clyntahn knew they were true because he had seen similar movies and heard the same voices in the Inquisition's secret files.

I think, only RFC currently knew that. But he seems to be busy.

That's what I meant. There is nothing I can find in TFT to suggest that current members of the reformed Vicarate know of the Inquisition's secret files and rooms. But, there is also no evidence that says no one does have that knowledge. Thus, conjecture!

Just the ending scene, where Schueler reappeared, would be viewed dramatically different in some quarters if the Vicarate can get access to those old secret files. They would then have 300-400 some witnesses who could describe what they saw, and see that it matches what they found in the Temple.
Post by Louis R   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Not sure that it's particularly relevant. IIRC, there are portraits of the archangels in the sanctuary of the Temple, and quite likely other places as well. There would have been enough people present who were thoroughly familiar with them that any major variance would be noted immediately.

Erls wrote:That's what I meant. There is nothing I can find in TFT to suggest that current members of the reformed Vicarate know of the Inquisition's secret files and rooms. But, there is also no evidence that says no one does have that knowledge. Thus, conjecture!

Just the ending scene, where Schueler reappeared, would be viewed dramatically different in some quarters if the Vicarate can get access to those old secret files. They would then have 300-400 some witnesses who could describe what they saw, and see that it matches what they found in the Temple.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:40 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

The question then becomes how did Clyntyn and Rayno get the knowledge of the holvids - the knowledge must have been spread a little more widely than that, if only because with only one or two people who have the knowledge, it is likely to get lost if they die without passing on the access methods.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Magistos   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 am

Magistos
Ensign

fallsfromtrees wrote:The question then becomes how did Clyntyn and Rayno get the knowledge of the holvids - the knowledge must have been spread a little more widely than that, if only because with only one or two people who have the knowledge, it is likely to get lost if they die without passing on the access methods.

Agreed. I'm trying not to OVER think it too much. I am of a mind (and willing to be corrected) that the simplest explanation is that holovids, recordings and pictures are actually not too terribly uncommon in the Temple.

I'm not saying they are common, mind you, just that they are not state secrets, so to speak. They are precious works, kept in the Temple, available to those approved, rather like Vatican Archives are not "secret" but do hold things not commonly made available.

After all, the Temple already has "miraculous" temperature control, unbreakable glass, servitors, etc. Having some, let's say, holovid statuary on repeat that shows great monologues from the archangels seems like it would just be another normal. We have museum presentations in the present day that are not too far off.
Post by Julia Minor   » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

Magistos wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:The question then becomes how did Clyntyn and Rayno get the knowledge of the holvids - the knowledge must have been spread a little more widely than that, if only because with only one or two people who have the knowledge, it is likely to get lost if they die without passing on the access methods.

Agreed. I'm trying not to OVER think it too much. I am of a mind (and willing to be corrected) that the simplest explanation is that holovids, recordings and pictures are actually not too terribly uncommon in the Temple.

Or, those holovids and recordings could be part of an Inquisition private archive. Higher-ranking members of the Inquisition could get access, and the head of the Inquisition and his chosen deputy/deputies would automatically be given access, but the rank and file would only get access if they had "need to know".

If that's the case, then the purging of the Inquisition that gets under way at the end of ATST could very easily have eliminated most or all of those with access. "Don't execute me, I can show you where the Inquisition keeps their sacred living icons of the Archangels" isn't going to do much when the priest in question is being sentenced for organizing mass murders.

I almost hope this isn't the case, because I'd like to see the hints that the Inquisition still had Federation tech available followed up on, and if everyone previously on the access-granted list is dead Merlin and company wouldn't have any reason to look for it.
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Julia Minor, I think you are very likely correct and the holovids, may well be restricted to the higher reaches of the Inquisition, or at least of the Order of Schueler. It just sounds like the way they would go, if they possibly could. From a dramatic point of view, I don't think RFC would then let that knowledge expire. One could see it being known by a few who managed to escape the purge, at least with their lives, and become one of the secrets of those in the CoG who don't like the new order and will be plotting to undermine it and return to a 'truer' faith. (You know there are going to be some ....)
Post by mhicks   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:09 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

My biggest question is how do you tell the system that this priest now has access to said files? At work our IT department has to give workers clearance and then supervisors additional clearance all the way up to the top. Who is the IT guy telling the computers "here is our new grand inquisitor and his 2nd officer"? Because if the purge that happened took out the IT guy, how does the system know who any one is and what clearance to give them?
Post by Erls   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:59 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

mhicks wrote:My biggest question is how do you tell the system that this priest now has access to said files? At work our IT department has to give workers clearance and then supervisors additional clearance all the way up to the top. Who is the IT guy telling the computers "here is our new grand inquisitor and his 2nd officer"? Because if the purge that happened took out the IT guy, how does the system know who any one is and what clearance to give them?

I would guess the ones in the Temple are most like the one the Wylsynn's had. That is, if you do A then you will see B. Place hand here for 3 seconds, and a video will show. Put this key in the keyhole and a holovid of Langhorne will appear.

Return to Safehold