Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

SPHINX IMMIGRATION PACKET

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPHINX IMMIGRATION PACKET
Post by Atlantean   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Atlantean
Midshipman

Thanks for the link.

For some reason, I've always envisioned Sphinx to be loaded with females who have had Cat augmentations.

I expected the Immigration Packet to have a warm welcome extended to Genies, even if only subtly.

It stands to reason the Cats were able to elude the Two-Legs when heisting celery. The Cats should easily be able to detect human presence. I can't figure out how they would know to elude the cameras, much less actually do so, though.

Honor seems to be Stephanie reborn as a spacer.
The artist formerly known as... cthia.
Post by tlb   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:23 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Atlantean wrote:The artist formerly known as... cthia.

Welcome to the forum. There is a member that styles himself "Cthia", who has been very prolific. Are you a related in any way?

Cthia is a Vulcan word, typically translated into English as "logic", but actually possessing the more complex meaning of "reality-truth". The term cthia was also often used to refer to the philosophy/religion of logic, emotional control, and pacifism preached by Surak.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:32 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Atlantean wrote:
Snip

It stands to reason the Cats were able to elude the Two-Legs when heisting celery. The Cats should easily be able to detect human presence. I can't figure out how they would know to elude the cameras, much less actually do so, though.

Snip.

in the text, it states that Stephanie suspected that the celery thieves could see the infra-red light source people were using to illuminate the areas they had cameras aimed at. She went for UV sensitive cameras, and UV light sources. The rest is, as they say, history.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:30 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Atlantean wrote:It stands to reason the Cats were able to elude the Two-Legs when heisting celery. The Cats should easily be able to detect human presence. I can't figure out how they would know to elude the cameras, much less actually do so, though.

As I recall from the books its because the cameras were all motion activated using simple IR 'tripwires' Except the 'cats could see into the near IR so the IR beams were visible and so they avoided stepping into their bright light.
IIRC Stephanie Harrington finally caught one on camera by switching to a UV tripwire system.

Apparently celery stealing wasn't high enough priority for anybody to bother simply recording constantly all night and then reviewing the 12+ hour 'tape'.

(Or now, a few years later in the real world, you'd probably do the motion detection based on live analysis of the changing image itself, no tripwire beams needed. Or record everything then set a computer to scrub through the hours or days of recordings and show you just the movement anomalies)
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Atlantean wrote:It stands to reason the Cats were able to elude the Two-Legs when heisting celery. The Cats should easily be able to detect human presence. I can't figure out how they would know to elude the cameras, much less actually do so, though.

As I recall from the books its because the cameras were all motion activated using simple IR 'tripwires' Except the 'cats could see into the near IR so the IR beams were visible and so they avoided stepping into their bright light.
IIRC Stephanie Harrington finally caught one on camera by switching to a UV tripwire system.

Apparently celery stealing wasn't high enough priority for anybody to bother simply recording constantly all night and then reviewing the 12+ hour 'tape'.

(Or now, a few years later in the real world, you'd probably do the motion detection based on live analysis of the changing image itself, no tripwire beams needed. Or record everything then set a computer to scrub through the hours or days of recordings and show you just the movement anomalies)

I was thinking the cats are not keen on two-leg tech. So they wouldn't have known what a camera system is or what it does. Even if they could see the infrared beams they wouldn't know what they were. No difference than the other two-leg light sources to them, obviously.

However, not wanting to deal with the brightness of the beams is plausible.

At any rate, I'm like Stephanie in one regard. Wanting to stop criminals who are stealing disgusting celery wouldn't have been a high priority.

My brother loves the disgusting crap. He eats it with a dip made of salad dressing and hot sauce. Of course, I always thought something is truly wrong with my brother's palate. His fascination with catsup should be investigated. He puts, no, dumps catsup on too many of his food items, except french fries! The one food perfect for catsup. He prefers mayonnaise on fries. WTF? So, little wonder he loves celery too.

Oh, if anyone does it, STOP RUINING POTATO SALAD WITH CELERY!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse