Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by The E   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:33 am

The E
Admiral

n7axw wrote:I think Trump is looking at the end of his political career, myself. If he really tries to open stuff up, numbers will mushroom and it won't do a thing for the economy. We are looking at a sharp recession at minimum, perhaps a depression piled on top of the pandemic.

What he and his fellow republican rich people are afraid of isn't the virus -- it's the idea that tax money isn't ending up in their pockets anymore. Look at the relief packages they built: Tailor-made to benefit those corporations and rich people that they like, not really all that much to help out the people who are going to suffer most in this (or any) economic crisis. They absolutely and viscerally fear the idea of a populace that is even the slightest bit less afraid of them, that has even the tiniest bit of freedom for themselves; single-payer healthcare and robust unemployment insurance are all things that would, inevitably, reduce the amount of power an employer has over their employees, and that just can't stand.
After all, where would America be with guaranteed sick leave or mandatory paid time off or workers secure and confident enough in their rights to demand the respect and dignity they are owed?
Post by Daryl   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The E. "After all, where would America be with guaranteed sick leave or mandatory paid time off or workers secure and confident enough in their rights to demand the respect and dignity they are owed?"
The answer is where the advanced developed countries, like Western Europe, the UK, Germany, Australia and such are. With well educated workforces who know that they will not starve in the streets, if they challenge the 'Powers That Be' or their employers.
Post by The E   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:01 am

The E
Admiral

Daryl wrote:The answer is where the advanced developed countries, like Western Europe, the UK, Germany, Australia and such are. With well educated workforces who know that they will not starve in the streets, if they challenge the 'Powers That Be' or their employers.

Yes, obviously, but think of what it would do to the rich people! Suddenly, they'd not accumulate wealth as fast!

Don't you realize how terrible that is?
Post by The E   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 am

The E
Admiral

In other news, here's how lazy people are in lying to you about the dangerousness of COVID-19, Imaginos.

Remember your claim that this new disease was less harmful than the flu?
Ann Coulter agrees with you! She even has a graph to prove it!

Backup in case she decides to delete it:

As we can clearly see, 0.83% is a much larger number than 8.23%, so COVID-19 definitely is not dangerous at all and should be disregarded, so regardless of its deadliness to young people, she is utterly wrong about old people.
Meanwhile, death rates for every other age group are also higher for COVID....

One has to wonder just how ignorant you'd have to be to a) post something like that and (more importantly) b) how completely brainwashed you'd have to be to believe it....
Post by n7axw   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:
n7axw wrote:I think Trump is looking at the end of his political career, myself. If he really tries to open stuff up, numbers will mushroom and it won't do a thing for the economy. We are looking at a sharp recession at minimum, perhaps a depression piled on top of the pandemic.

What he and his fellow republican rich people are afraid of isn't the virus -- it's the idea that tax money isn't ending up in their pockets anymore. Look at the relief packages they built: Tailor-made to benefit those corporations and rich people that they like, not really all that much to help out the people who are going to suffer most in this (or any) economic crisis. They absolutely and viscerally fear the idea of a populace that is even the slightest bit less afraid of them, that has even the tiniest bit of freedom for themselves; single-payer healthcare and robust unemployment insurance are all things that would, inevitably, reduce the amount of power an employer has over their employees, and that just can't stand.
After all, where would America be with guaranteed sick leave or mandatory paid time off or workers secure and confident enough in their rights to demand the respect and dignity they are owed?

Sigh... As ideal as all of this sounds, right now I'd settle for a competent government that works for the public interest.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am

gcomeau
Admiral

n7axw wrote:Sigh... As ideal as all of this sounds, right now I'd settle for a competent government that works for the public interest.

-

Simply not a possibility in the US until after the election. At least on the federal level, it's been gutted of anyone remotely competent. The governors at least seem to be picking up what slack they can.
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Sigh... As ideal as all of this sounds, right now I'd settle for a competent government that works for the public interest.

Don

-

I'm afraid, that you would not have one until both of current ruling parties would be removed from power. :(
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:49 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:In other news, here's how lazy people are in lying to you about the dangerousness of COVID-19, Imaginos.

So, you trolled the internet until you found some random chart that showed what you wanted, and then copied it. "Hah! So there!"

Well, you go right on believing the lies and hype and bullshit. It's what you're best at; after all, you Believe in communism, the lie that killed a hundred million people in a hundred years.

When it's over the world will see who was right.

"Yeah, that Wu Kung Flu 'pandemic' back in 2020 was batshit crazy. The virus killed a few thousand; the blind stupid hair-on-fire panic killed a hundred thousand."
———————————
Ma Lemming: “If all your friends jumped off a cliff into the sea would you…oh…um…nevermind.”
Post by n7axw   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:24 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

I'm afraid, that you would not have one until both of current ruling parties would be removed from power. :(

There are people in both political parties who are firmly devoted to public service even if they have trouble agreeing on what that means. Our bureaucracy is among the most competent and honest in the world. They can be irritating if you are found violating some regulation or need something they can't deliver. But although bribery does happen, it is exceptional enough to make the news rather than being a way of life.

Taken as a whole, our government is far better than many folk know or are willing to acknowledge. Since the election of Donald Trump, we have had a leadership crisis at the top which especially in time of crisis cripples the function of government on all its layers.z

As for the Democrats and Republicans, if you got rid of them, what would you replace them with? They are both broadly representative of different and often conflicting philosophies and streams of thought in the electorate.

Speaking as a liberal Democrat, I am not wanting to do away with the Republicans. Somebody does need to hold up private sector interests and propose solutions to problems based in that philosophy...just as we Democrats need to blow the whistle on the business interests and prevent them from buying out the government and arranging things according to their own fancy at the expense of everyone else. Things work best when in balance.

The Republican party seems to be retreating into extremism. I would like to see them move back toward the center, broadening their appeal to a wider group of people. If they fail to do that they will go the way of the Whigs and something new will rise up to replace them. Political foes are opponents, not enemies. Compromise is not a dirty word.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by The E   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:So, you trolled the internet until you found some random chart that showed what you wanted, and then copied it. "Hah! So there!"

To be fair, I do not need to search very hard to find american conservatives lying about something. In this case, so blatantly that the only proof Coulter offered for how "the media" lies to you about COVID is a chart showing the exact opposite of what she claimed it did; I am curious why you chose to ignore that.

Plus, I haven't seen you put forth any actual data that supports your claims. You say that "experts" say that Corona is less dangerous than it is being treated as being, but where's your proof? Who are those experts, and why should I trust them over the combined expertise of literally every respectable public health organization?

The data points you will need to explicitly and convincingly debunk are COVID's mortality rate of around 3% (beating out all-time classics like the spanish flu by .6%) and its speed of transmission. As always, feel free to convince me that reality is less bad than it seems to be.

Well, you go right on believing the lies and hype and bullshit. It's what you're best at; after all, you Believe in communism, the lie that killed a hundred million people in a hundred years.

One of these days, you will actually find an insult or a fact that invalidates something I said. I believe in you. You can do it.

When it's over the world will see who was right.

Yes. And it will be me.

But we both know you won't believe that to be the case; if everything works out right, the measures taken now will blunt the impact of the disease so much that, in total numbers, its impact won't be that heavy.

Just like back in 1998 when people woke up to the Y2k problem, spent thousands of hours and billions of dollars on fixing things, and everyone in 2000 wondered what all the fuss was about since "obviously" nothing happened.

"Yeah, that Wu Kung Flu 'pandemic' back in 2020 was batshit crazy. The virus killed a few thousand; the blind stupid hair-on-fire panic killed a hundred thousand."

Please point out on the balance sheet where the economic downturn hurt you.

Return to Politics