Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 57 guests

SPHINX IMMIGRATION PACKET

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
SPHINX IMMIGRATION PACKET
Post by Captain Wordsmith   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:30 pm

Captain Wordsmith
Midshipman

While I got my start on the Universe of Honor Harrington through HONOR AMONG ENEMIES, it's been a few years since I caught up with the 'Flagship' series of this particular franchise for the simple reason that - when you get down to it - I prefer spending time on planets to splendid time on starships.

With that it mind it should come as no surprise that the STAR KINGDOM novels are amongst my favourite parts of the franchise, given they allow us a closer look at Sphinx and everyday life in the Star Kingdom ... well, everyday life 'back in the day' as it were.

However I was recently seeking to bone up on Planet Sphinx for one reason or another - given the recent Pandemic Panic leaves me with too much time on my hands, one was contemplating an attempt at working out something similar for Gryphon and possibly even Planet Manticore itself - when I discovered that the link to the eponymous font of background info had given up the ghost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Friendship_(novel)

Given the other links at the bottom of the page linked to above also appear to be Out of Commission, may I please ask if anyone knows whether or not the information found there can be tracked down at some other location?

Thank You very kindly in advance for your patience and your consideration!
Re: SPHINX IMMIGRATION PACKET
Post by tlb   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:52 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Okay, you are really talking about the follow-up books (A Call to Arms and A Call to Vengeance) whose links do not work at the bottom of the page whose link you give. If they formerly existed then you may need to talk to the staff at Wikipedia.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Captain Wordsmith wrote:While I got my start on the Universe of Honor Harrington through HONOR AMONG ENEMIES, it's been a few years since I caught up with the 'Flagship' series of this particular franchise for the simple reason that - when you get down to it - I prefer spending time on planets to splendid time on starships.

With that it mind it should come as no surprise that the STAR KINGDOM novels are amongst my favourite parts of the franchise, given they allow us a closer look at Sphinx and everyday life in the Star Kingdom ... well, everyday life 'back in the day' as it were.

However I was recently seeking to bone up on Planet Sphinx for one reason or another - given the recent Pandemic Panic leaves me with too much time on my hands, one was contemplating an attempt at working out something similar for Gryphon and possibly even Planet Manticore itself - when I discovered that the link to the eponymous font of background info had given up the ghost.

Given the other links at the bottom of the page linked to above also appear to be Out of Commission, may I please ask if anyone knows whether or not the information found there can be tracked down at some other location?

I know the story you are talking about - a letter from Stephanie to her friend on Meyerdahl about the voyage to Sphinx, and a pamphlet about sphinx for travelers. Both were on Baen's free library, but I can't seem to find them now.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:11 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:
Captain Wordsmith wrote:While I got my start on the Universe of Honor Harrington through HONOR AMONG ENEMIES, it's been a few years since I caught up with the 'Flagship' series of this particular franchise for the simple reason that - when you get down to it - I prefer spending time on planets to splendid time on starships.

I know the story you are talking about - a letter from Stephanie to her friend on Meyerdahl about the voyage to Sphinx, and a pamphlet about sphinx for travelers. Both were on Baen's free library, but I can't seem to find them now.

"Honorverse Tech Bu9" in _Free Stories 2011_ includes both the letter and the excerpts from the pamphlet. BTW, the disease that ravaged the Manticore colony a generation after landing was a "pathogen similar to a coronavirus has crossed over and proven infectious to humans" (there was some additional detail, I suspect that he was inspired by the 2005 SARS outbreak, which was another coronavirus).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The Sphinx colonist packet should include a hairbrush, for Treecat. May be Hexapuma?
Post by Theemile   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The Sphinx colonist packet should include a hairbrush, for Treecat. May be Hexapuma?

Celery seeds.. lots of celery seeds.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Captain Wordsmith   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:09 am

Captain Wordsmith
Midshipman

I'd imagine that every Sphinx immigration packet ought to come with the warning "Never EVER settle for 'sometime next year' as a working estimate" (a leaf blower might be very helpful too!). :mrgreen:

Robert A Woodward (and isn't that just the name for the Sphinx Forestry Service?) thank you very kindly for pointing me in the right direction; Theemile, thank you very kindly for your effort. :)
Post by Captain Wordsmith   » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:23 am

Captain Wordsmith
Midshipman

https://www.baen.com/readonline/index/read/sku/9781451637786

^^ For those left wondering what the heck I was actually looking for, please feel free to tap the link above and see for yourself! ^^
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:58 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Captain Wordsmith wrote:
https://www.baen.com/readonline/index/read/sku/9781451637786

^^ For those left wondering what the heck I was actually looking for, please feel free to tap the link above and see for yourself! ^^

That link isn't active. Let's try this:

https://www.baen.com/readonline/index/r ... 1451637786

(that only goes to the top level and not down to chapter 8).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:56 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

If you copy the link and paste it into the search bar of your browser it works
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse