Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Super Tuesday

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Super Tuesday
Post by n7axw   » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Now that we have a bit of distance from Super Tuesday, I'm ready to talk about the results.

I'm not particularly happy. Both Biden and Sanders can go head to head with Trump. But both are in their late 70s. Biden I love on a personal level. He's honest as far as I can see. And he has a long record of service that deserves respect. But it is time for him to take his gold watch and amble off into comfortable retirement. Sanders is a bit older than Biden. He is a bit too far to the left for the electorate and comes off as an angry old man. So now what?

We get treated to the spectacle of a mud wrestling match between two old bulls competing for, as Dilandu said, the privilege of making the walk between the inagural stand and the hearse. Ugh.

Were we to have selected our candidate on the basis of competence, the run away winner would have been Elizabeth Warren. The lady exudes competence and she understands Wall Street better than anyone.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Re: Super Tuesday
Post by Annachie   » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The bit that interested me, though I haven't confirmed it yet, was that Joe won in red states but Bernie won in purple. (And blue)

Essentially Bernie won in states that the D3ms can win.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:33 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Bernie won in Colorado, Minnesota, Colorado, Oklahoma, and California. Earlier he won in Vermont and was either tied or close to a tie in New Hampshire and Iowa. Of those, only Oklahoma would qualify as a red state.

Biden swept the red states in the south. Plus blue Virginia.

Since apportionment of delegates is not winner take all but proportional, winning a state doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Some of the red states in the old south are starting to trend blue. Probably not for this election, but the future could look interesting.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It was a Super Corrupt Tuesday. In California and Texas, people waited in line for hours. As much as six hours. One 18-yr-old first time voter, was written up on her job for being two hrs late. Along with trying to demand IDs to vote is blatant proof of a conspiracy to kill democracy.

WOW

Texas officials have shut down hundreds of polling stations in the last decade — disproportionately in areas where people of color live — creating longer lines at those that remain open.

"It felt ridiculous to be waiting that long in the line, I felt as if the process could've been much smoother and faster than it turned out to be," she told Insider over Twitter direct message. "I almost got out of line too, and I saw a few people get out since the wait was too long … but I kept my hopes up and needed to cast my vote."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:35 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It was a Super Corrupt Tuesday. In California and Texas, people waited in line for hours. As much as six hours. One 18-yr-old first time voter, was written up on her job for being two hrs late. Along with trying to demand IDs to vote is blatant proof of a conspiracy to kill democracy.

WOW

Texas officials have shut down hundreds of polling stations in the last decade — disproportionately in areas where people of color live — creating longer lines at those that remain open.

"It felt ridiculous to be waiting that long in the line, I felt as if the process could've been much smoother and faster than it turned out to be," she told Insider over Twitter direct message. "I almost got out of line too, and I saw a few people get out since the wait was too long … but I kept my hopes up and needed to cast my vote."

I tend to use that word corrupt to refer to financial chicanery. But it does work here too. Voter suppression is something we are going have to confront and put paid to. It is really a front in the civil rights struggle.

Don

-
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I almost created a new thread "Voter Suppression." If someone else wants to, I certainly wouldn't object. How many people actually got out of line because they felt their jobs were on the line, or because they felt the weight of nameless other responsibilities. Voter suppression isn't new. It is as old as Black people's right to vote, and long before. The Civil Rights era is still being fought.

Remember, women were once denied the right to vote too.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:54 pm

TFLYTSNBN

i took out adds reminding Democrats to vote on Super Wednesday.
Post by doug941   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 pm

doug941
Commander

cthia wrote:It was a Super Corrupt Tuesday. In California and Texas, people waited in line for hours. As much as six hours. One 18-yr-old first time voter, was written up on her job for being two hrs late. Along with trying to demand IDs to vote is blatant proof of a conspiracy to kill democracy.

WOW

As a former precinct officer of three decades service, let me clear up ID and voting vis-a-vis California. The officers are, if possible, supposed to be residents of the precinct they are serving in. California requires a first time voter IN THAT PRECINCT to show a photo ID as proof the person is who they are saying they are. The voter rolls will have these voters listed as such. Any officer who asks for ID in any other circumstance is, either thru ignorance or ill will, committing a crime. Voters who show ID without being asked are appreciated but that is their purview.
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:22 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the input and facts about voter ID in California. Though I didn't make it clear, I was mainly -- although not solely -- concerned with NC. And the very certain possibility it would be used to suppress and harass minority voters.

A person has to have a photo ID, but everyone cannot afford or obtain a photo ID because of a lack of a birth certificate, plus the cost, the red tape, yatta yatta yatta associated with obtaining a birth certificate as well. Racism against the poor. A catch 22. Plus, in NC at least, an expired driver's license cannot be used as ID. Which is bullshit, because a cop will certainly use it as proper ID if he's looking for the person on it. Just because an expired ID doesn't allow you to legally drive doesn't change the fact that you are still the person on the ID.

At any rate, blatant, or subtle, racism has no place in democracy.

Post by Daryl   » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:25 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I'd never claim that my country (Australia) is perfect, but our system does seem to be better in this. Firstly it is compulsory to both register after age 18, and to vote.
The registration process does require ID, but after your name is put on the rolls, it is no longer required. On the day to vote you go to your preferred polling station, where your name is crossed off that paper copy, you are given a ballot form, you vote, and then often buy a snack (cooked sausage in bread) from a charity stall on the way out.
There is potential for minor fraud by going from polling station to station and voting multiple times, however across decades and the country it is passing rare.

A funny example of bureaucracy happened many years ago to us. Our voting had changed from over 21 to over 18, yet when my wife moved in with me, and changed her address on the roll, she used an old form stating that she was over 21. It was rejected, as she had to use the new form stating she was over 18.

Return to Politics