Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Who would you be?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Who would you be?
Post by locarno24   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:01 am

locarno24
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote: Ditto for Shannon. What type of boss is Shannon. Does she also like strips of battle steel?

She seems to be comparatively informal, using nicknames for her flag captain, for example, and lobbing her cap to her steward on entering her cabin. And still a bit of an easily distracted tech geek:

"One thing about the old Shannon Foraker which remained the same was a degree of . . . absentmindedness where the minutiae of day-to-day life was involved. It took a certain talent to "forget" her wrist com, but she managed to do it at least twice a week."

Probably the most important difference between her and Hemphill is that she's never really been one for inventing 'new' hardware so much as figuring out how to use old stuff in new ways. So the demands are - technologically, at least - likely to be more reasonable.
Post by Erls   » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:58 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Erls wrote:Also, with McKeon still deceased, I would be the senior officer (besides Honor, and ignoring command officers) left from Basilisk. As such, I would get to work closely with White Haven, Emily, and Samantha - as well as Queen Elizabeth - in planning a surprise party for Honor in 1926 PD for the 25th anniversary of the Basilisk Incident.

Are you sure you're not answering the "1000 Worst Ways to Die" thread?

Honor was ready to kill White Haven for grinning while she stared at the GNS Honor Harrington name and insignia. What do you think she'll do to people planning surprise parties for her?

I do believe that Honor would be more willing to accept a small (no more than 100-200 guests - not counting all surviving crew from the Fearless), semi-private event. She would, of course, have to hear Queen Elizabeth, Dame Matsuko, Hauptman, and perhaps Hamish all give short speeches about their view of the situation as it unfolded. And she would, also, be asked to give a few words.

But, I would think that overall she would be much more receptive to this type of thing than having 'that ship' given her name. Besides, Nimitz would love this type of thing as believe it fitting, so I would know I have some protection!
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:33 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:But, I would think that overall she would be much more receptive to this type of thing than having 'that ship' given her name. Besides, Nimitz would love this type of thing as believe it fitting, so I would know I have some protection!

Right. Side with the treecat with a wicked sense of humour and whose name is Laughs Brightly... I'm sure that's conducive to a peaceful and long life.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:16 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

locarno24 wrote:
Probably the most important difference between her and Hemphill is that she's never really been one for inventing 'new' hardware so much as figuring out how to use old stuff in new ways. So the demands are - technologically, at least - likely to be more reasonable.

I think the goodies from Bolthole, and the toy box that Hemphill brought from Gram and its successors will open Shannon's eyes and expand her imagination.

To coin a phrase, "sparkly".
Post by locarno24   » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:11 am

locarno24
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:
locarno24 wrote:

I think the goodies from Bolthole, and the toy box that Hemphill brought from Gram and its successors will open Shannon's eyes and expand her imagination.

To coin a phrase, "sparkly".

Agreed, but approached with the same mind-set. Foraker's very much an implementor; she starts with "what's the problem" and then "what 'stuff' do I have in my toybox" and for preference figures how to use the one to deal with the other rather than rushing off to invent new wundergadgets based on a genuinely new technology, whilst Hemphill is still at heart the jeune ecole scientist whos first response is "in case of emergency, break laws of physics".

Hemphill has massively expanded the toybox, but I don't see Foraker fundamentally changing her approach. In fact, I hope she doesn't, because it's having the two working together - an innovator and a practical implementer - that usually gives you the best results.

I'm not sure how seniority works between them - Hemphill's obviously astronomically more senior as a flag officer given that her date of rank predates Operation Odysseus, but frankly Shannon doesn't seem to be the kind to really notice military protocol much.

Return to Honorverse