Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Landmines and Siddarmark

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Landmines and Siddarmark
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:30 pm

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

isaac_newton wrote:

We had a neighbour in our town center street - just over the road who was a bit 'odd'. It was a town house, so the building was right next to the pavement, with a little set of Victorian railings [metal] outside

IIRC he electrified the railings to 'keep away' people who were annoying him. :-)

As you can imagine, the police were called in, and on inspection found a working pistol and a live WW2 grenade!!

As you can also imagine, the street was blocked off and a bomb disposal team called in.

On the Beaufort dyke... this is the very area that mega brain Bozo Johnson was thinking of building a bridge between N Ireland and Scotland

Yeah...and, to add extra sauce to the issue, they dumped stuff into he Dyke that had all the markings obliterated and records destroyed
this was seen and reported by very worried naval officers and others.
as usual, the Official Secrets Act was used, in a completely corrupt fashion, to hide problems and crimes but it came out eventually.
Now considering they dumped mustard gas and phosgene in there, plus radium, white phosphorous and other nasties, what was SO bad they painted over the containers black and burned the records, hm?
Anthrax, radiological weapon...or what?

building a bridge through that would not only be extremely difficult due to it's great depth but the risk of explosions is severe
as said, seismographs pick up several blasts every week from there, and over the years quite a few people have been injured by mustard gas, WP etc :/

Boris and Trump, blonde hair blued eyed....unpleasant types....in a corporate fascist take over of our Democracies.
Who'd a thunk it? How could it go wrong?! :roll: :o :shock: :? :lol:

https://cdn1.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/768x768/public/2013/09/06/2e28dd053ea519e56c89f79737a5ef60.jpg?itok=RQjPDL_9
Re: Landmines and Siddarmark
Post by Oakstone   » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:10 pm

Oakstone
Midshipman

Only problem with your degradation theory is that in the US Explosive Ordnance Disposal is still called upon at least once a year to dispose of explosive shells dating to the war from 1861-1865. These shells are very similar to those used by Charis. Then there are the EOD teams in France and Belgium called on to dispose of scarier ordnance dating to the unpleasantness of 1914-1918.

I could also easily see Owl/Nahrman directing SNARCs to disarm/remove unused mines.

Not just France/Belgium. Civilian EOD (Sprengcommando) in Germany are frequently called to respond to WWII bombs found in new construction (and remodeling) in cities there. As a former US EOD detachment commander, we responded to several incidents at US units, including one for a 220-lb bomb that "floated up" in the middle of a "special weapons" site, and a WWI grenade found when someone in Bremerhaven decided to expand their garden. The Grenade was more interesting (and scary) as it was a limited run grenade made for use in Desert conditions, that looked almost identical to the standard grenades. The difference was that the special grenade was armed as soon as the pin was removed and was triggered by impact (the "spoon" provided no safety). My NCO got the call at night (didn't bother to notify me), misidentified the grenade (no pin!!!!) and taped the spoon to secure it. When I came into the office the next morning, the grenade was sitting in my safe. We didn't realize what we had until we went down to British range to dispose of it (we didn't have a disposal range of our own) and they ID'd the grenade. My NCO literally shat his pants.

Return to Safehold