Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Dogs, Dogs, Dogs
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

THE PLIGHT of THE PIT

One of my oldest friends hail from Denver. I met her when her family moved into my neighborhood when she was a little kid. She's a military brat like I am. She returned to Denver after college and had been living there until the early 90's, when she chose to move because of the city's ban on her beloved Pit Bull breed. She recently lost hope that the ban will be lifted so she can move back to her beloved Denver.

She loves Pits as well as I. They are the most misunderstood, albeit mishandled, dogs. I had a Pit that was more pussy than dog. He was the sweetest dog in the world who only wanted to play.

However, I really don't know where I stand on this issue. Although the breed itself is a very sweet dog, it can be trained to have a very aggressive nature, and often is trained that way. They are quite often used as fighting dogs. As a result, they strike fear in the hearts of most. My Pit, though a pussycat he was, surely didn't look like a pussy. And that was deterrence enough.

Pits are the most banned dog in the USA and abroad. Are dogs truly man's best friend? Yes!

Man is just not necessarily dog's best friend.

Which side of the fence do you stand?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BTW, her current Pit's name is, Denver.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:BTW, her current Pit's name is, Denver.

Pits are the most slandered breed. If a pit is mean, jail the owner...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Joat42
Admiral

n7axw wrote:

Don

-

When you come across a mean dog, regardless of breed, it's the owners fault almost every time. And if the dog is mean anyway, I blame the previous breeders for not culling out dogs that are mentally "wrong" because the breeder thought they had the right "body", "posture" or "look".

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:

Don

-

I agree the owner should be held responsible, but the problem is that there isn't a crime committed until the dog bites, maims or kill. The death of a 2-yr-old girl is the cause of the ban in Denver.

Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I kinda agree with pitbull bans, mostly because it's so hard to ban certain people from owning them until it's too late.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I love dogs, and agree with much of what has been said. The main problem with pit bulls is that if you do get a mean one, it is a much bigger challenge than a mean toy dog. A secondary problem is that far too many inadequate men buy pit bulls and miss train them to appear tough.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Common response to holding owners responsible.

"As the level of danger from Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs) is so high, the idea that public policy should focus solely on holding terrorists responsible AFTER they use WMDs is insane, as it surrenders the concept of preventing the harm for the speculation that the terrorists would be deterred by the fear of punishment. With a significant portion of fatal pit bull attacks where the victim is the innocent child, relative, or female companion of the dog owner — there was absolutely no prior indication of the pit bull being aggressive — no prior attacks, no prior bites, and on the date of the fatal attack, no growling/barking or other behavioral precursors of the pending attack. Pit Bulls have been selected bred for their suppressed behavioral indicators of their rising level of aggression, which gives them the advantage in the dog fighting ring — but makes them incompatible as a domestic pet.” — Kory Nelson (Successfully defended the Denver pit bull ban)

Warning: The following site includes horror stories . . .

The above pasted text is found within this site.

Post by Joat42   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:43 am

Joat42
Admiral

Daryl wrote:I love dogs, and agree with much of what has been said. The main problem with pit bulls is that if you do get a mean one, it is a much bigger challenge than a mean toy dog. A secondary problem is that far too many inadequate men buy pit bulls and miss train them to appear tough.

IMHO, anyone buying a dog as a status-symbol have automatically disqualified themselves from owning a dog.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:52 pm

TFLYTSNBN

I finally got to watch the Westminster Kennel Club dog show. Daniel the Golden Retriever won best in group but not best in show. My Labrador Retriever who is a seeing eye dog reject slept through it. The wife's puny Pomeranian is far to small and inconsequential to be taken seriously as a dog.

Return to Politics