Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mycall4me and 51 guests

Who would you be?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Who would you be?
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

So if you could step into the shoes of an Honorverse character, with the caveat that somehow your character survives in alternate universe if you got killed in the Honorverse, who would you be? Top 3? I'll go first...

Honorverse series: Scotty Tremaine
Torch Series: Victor Cachat
Shadow Series: GWEN Archer

Tremaine because he gets a lot of the fun jobs and got to watch and learn from the best. Plus he saves Honor's bacon a couple times [HotQ and HoE], and has Harkness as a sidekick. Now THAT would be interesting!

Cachat because I'm not nearly the right shape or strength to play stone mountain dwarf king like Zilwicki, totally loyal to my peeps, and have a papa dragon not too far beneath the surface. Would also practice everything in a simulator to perfect whatever skills and have everything in my domain wired to protect the Cause.

Surprised myself with the last one by the way; initially I was thinking Terekhov. But I'm much more like GWEN because when somebody scores a "hit, direct mass" I blush to embarrasing proportions, and would likely not make nearly as good a poker player. Plus it would be fun to work with Michelle Henke, no?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Re: Who would you be?
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hmm, the logic that is cthia.

I can't be Honor herself, since I'm a man. But I wouldn't mind having some sort of best supporting role. Maybe as the lucky bloke rutting between her legs, like Paul, but then, he bought the farm.

I wouldn't mind being Courvosier, the genius who recognized Honor's talent and groomed her.

My personality at his age, most fits Paulo D'Arezzo. I've been a sex slave a time or two too, the role he's undoubtedly going to adopt after Helen first drops her robe. So I can perform as his understudy quite well. Hugh Arai is a lucky bloke too.

I suppose the filthy rich Hauptman would have to be a strong contender. Wallowing in that type of filth is an acquired taste.

Anyways, who am I kidding. In the end I'll logically choose Hamish, he who actually is the best supporting character, and arguably the second best Commander, second only to his brilliant and hot wife. After all, he literally is the luckiest man in the Honorverse, as someone who once had a pussy on his head and two in his bed. As a man in a female dominated galaxy, it doesn't get any better than that.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:48 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

In the Honorverse, I think I would like to be one of the nameless nerds working for Sonja Hemphill on new projects

Not sure about the other series.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:In the Honorverse, I think I would like to be one of the nameless nerds working for Sonja Hemphill on new projects

Not sure about the other series.

I think that's a nice choice and one I didn't think of. But, it would depend on what type of boss Sonja is . . .

"Don't tell me it won't work just because it's crazy. It will work dammit! Try it again, and this time I better get the fucking answers I'm looking for."

IOW, I don't have enough battle steel on my ass.

Ditto for Shannon. What type of boss is Shannon. Does she also like strips of battle steel?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:36 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--super snipping, re: Cthia--

Re Hemphill, "IOW, I don't have enough battle steel on my ass." Boy, I agree with that one." My guess is that Foraker is probably much less strident. In her role with Tourville where they were planning the battle and she point out the advantages to the high speed run in, we don't read about her tearing strips off of the other tactical officers -- she goes into full super-geek super-school-marm mode though. I think she's somewhere between Hemphill and Honor in terms of ice and fire, she's more like this mighty tech river and you better get on board the "new uses for cool space war widgets" express, or get left behind.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:05 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I'd either be working with the Sphinx Forestry Service, one of the nameless nerds who works for Dame Estelle Matsuko, or one of the nameless nerds who works for President Eloise Pritchart.

Take a guess as to which one is the most likely. :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Erls   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:09 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

I would like to be Venizelos (in a universe where a different character dies).

A commander at the time of his death, he would have been promoted to at least Captain (jg), if not Captain (sg), following his return. That would put him (me?) in a prime position to be jumped to Commodore and given a squadron of heavy cruisers after Thunderbolt, and a second promotion to Rear Admiral at some point during the campaign.

Taking all of that into consideration, I would have been in a great position to be given a prime command slot in Henke's 10th Fleet as it made its way to Mesa.

In short, he was at the perfect rank to spend the second Manticore/Haven war as a squadron commander and the ensuing conflict with the Sollies/MAlign junior enough to get to leave the whole Fleet but senior enough to command those Task Forces/Task Groups.

Also, with McKeon still deceased, I would be the senior officer (besides Honor, and ignoring command officers) left from Basilisk. As such, I would get to work closely with White Haven, Emily, and Samantha - as well as Queen Elizabeth - in planning a surprise party for Honor in 1926 PD for the 25th anniversary of the Basilisk Incident.

And finally... I'd be at sufficient rank to take a shot with the golden haired goddess, Alice Truman.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:18 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:Also, with McKeon still deceased, I would be the senior officer (besides Honor, and ignoring command officers) left from Basilisk. As such, I would get to work closely with White Haven, Emily, and Samantha - as well as Queen Elizabeth - in planning a surprise party for Honor in 1926 PD for the 25th anniversary of the Basilisk Incident.

Are you sure you're not answering the "1000 Worst Ways to Die" thread?

Honor was ready to kill White Haven for grinning while she stared at the GNS Honor Harrington name and insignia. What do you think she'll do to people planning surprise parties for her?
Post by GloriousRuse   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 pm

GloriousRuse
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Stats and numbers being what they are, I’d probably end up as a random Sollie.

That said, I wouldn’t mind being a strike cell planner for one of the anti-manties. The entry requirements are apparently rather low...pretty sure you could give those self-righteous prigs a good kicking. Worst case you genocide them.
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:24 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

For fun, one more:

I'd be the thoroughly-really pissed off Lieutenant General Gillian Drescher, right after a Ghost Hunter from Sol tells her "we don't think it's the Manties that done it..."

She's not part of the Onion but I bet she's more enhanced than the average Manticoran or Havenite, has command experience, knows she was played but someone(s) who left town in a hurry.

Wouldn't it be fun to travel around in her head for a while?
---------------------

Return to Honorverse