Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Who is your favourite guitarist?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Who is your favourite guitarist?
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:If anyone else here knows more than three of these, I will be impressed

Mike Oldfield
Mark Tremonti
Myles Kennedy
Kanami Tōno
Maximum the Ryo-kun
Misha Mansoor
David Maxim Micic

Three of them? You set the bar way too high for me. I don't recognize a single one. Is that a failure on my part, or theirs?

My favorite guitarists are Hendrix and Santana, pure magic. And everyone has heard of both of them, even when they were going artists. Many other, so called guitarists, should pawn their instruments.

Post a link to a song and enlighten us.

Lemme show you how it's done.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Django.

https://youtu.be/mpO5xIltlyU

Look at the picture of his fret hand. At about 19 he was badly burnt in a fire and has little use of 2 fingers on his left hand.

Not guitar, but ukelele. Jake Shimabukuro.

https://youtu.be/puSkP3uym5k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:35 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Lets add a Gospel/Blues singer/guitarist from the 1930's onwards. An inspiration for people like Clapton.

https://youtu.be/MnAQATKRBN0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 am

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:Three of them? You set the bar way too high for me. I don't recognize a single one. Is that a failure on my part, or theirs?

Wouldn't call it a failure on anyone's part. All of these artists are relatively new, and some of them downright obscure.

Here's a breakdown on them:
Mike Oldfield - British composer and multiinstrumentalist, best known for his debut "Tubular Bells"

Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy - Lead guitarist and singer/guitarist of Alter Bridge. Their single "Blackbird" shows their work quite well.

Kanami Tōno - Lead guitarist of japanese Band BAND-MAID. Reference: ONSET

Maximum the Ryo-kun - Lead guitarist of japanese band MAXIMUM THE HORMONE. (Look these up at your own risk)

Misha Mansoor - Lead guitar for Periphery

David Maxim Micic - Lead guitarist for Destiny Potato
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:18 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The E wrote:If anyone else here knows more than three of these, I will be impressed

Mike Oldfield
Mark Tremonti
Myles Kennedy
Kanami Tōno
Maximum the Ryo-kun
Misha Mansoor
David Maxim Micic

I fluked this test, probably because I'm an old curmudgeon who is unaware of the newer musicians.

Sometimes the best are ignored because they are not photogenic and therefore marketable.

Sometimes the best, particularly women, are not fully appreciated because they are photogenic.

The best are usually at there best during the twilight of their careers when they are playing primarily for their own enjoyment and to savor the companionship of their fellow musicians rather than to fill an arena.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:There are a couple of favorites.

Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

Probably the best is Glenn Cambell.

I'm a Heart fanatic. There's something about a woman wielding a guitar.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:

Mike Oldfield
Mark Tremonti
Myles Kennedy
Kanami Tōno
Maximum the Ryo-kun
Misha Mansoor
David Maxim Micic

I fluked this test, probably because I'm an old curmudgeon who is unaware of the newer musicians.

Sometimes the best are ignored because they are not photogenic and therefore marketable.

Sometimes the best, particularly women, are not fully appreciated because they are photogenic.

The best are usually at there best during the twilight of their careers when they are playing primarily for their own enjoyment and to savor the companionship of their fellow musicians rather than to fill an arena.

True. Plus the genre, and the strength of the song itself, song choice, has a lot to say about it. For instance, on American Idol and similar shows, a bad song choice can kill a great set of pipes.

Also, to be fair, many of the greats like Hendrix were pioneers showcasing pioneering equipment like the wah wah pedal. That crying sound is awesome. Hendrix took it to a new level and used it with wreckless abandon.

Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Let's not forget our female shredders.

And a movie with a great guitar battle as the carrot.

Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:I have something different for you. Orianthi (her name and her band's name) This is a female fronted band (my personal preference) from Australia, and Orianthi is both lead vocals, AND lead guitar. She plays some pretty heavy guitar, and her vocals are also great.
There are a couple of videos on You Tube where she trades licks with Steve Vai, and another of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and her, or her and Richie Sambora, and another with her and Carlos Santana. She's also performed (back when) with Michael Jackson, and also with Alice Cooper.
Check her out, I think you'll be impressed.

Voodoo Child Orianthi.

Thanks for correcting our oversight, Mycall4me.

Post by Senior Chief   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Daryl wrote:Note that I didn't ask who is the best, as that is too subjective.
There are so many, and I don't discount the mainstream ones either as they have to be good to be so popular.
Not in any order, but all good for me are.
Clapton, Knoffler, Slash, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townsend, Brian May, Van Halen, Springsteen, Santana, lots more?

Mason Williams "classical gas"

Return to Free-Range Topics...