Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests

Doomwhales!

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Doomwhales!
Post by kenzieone   » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:25 pm

kenzieone
Midshipman

Hello,
Anyone know what doomwhales look like? Are they just gigantic krakens? I don't think they would be, as krakens are rumored to get up to doomwhale size (doubtful). But they are pure predators, so maybe like huge orcas? AFAIK, it's never mentioned or described in the books. Has Weber ever mentioned them outside the books or answered this question?

Thanks for any leads or help, guys.
Re: Doomwhales!
Post by Doomwhale   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 pm

Doomwhale
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

kenzieone wrote:Hello,
Anyone know what doomwhales look like? Are they just gigantic krakens? I don't think they would be, as krakens are rumored to get up to doomwhale size (doubtful). But they are pure predators, so maybe like huge orcas? AFAIK, it's never mentioned or described in the books. Has Weber ever mentioned them outside the books or answered this question?

Thanks for any leads or help, guys.

Like me. Sort of round and lumpy
Post by Joat42   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Joat42
Admiral

RFC answered this question a whale back:
runsforcelery wrote:Think of the doomwhale as an outsized mammalian megalodon: in other words, a great white shark about 20% longer than a blue whale (about 25 meters [or 80 feet or so, for a Safeholdian]), with an extra set of pectoral fins.

There's a reason these things have occasionally sunk galleys or small galleons.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:29 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I'm not aware of a picture of a picture ever being posted or in the books. So I guess it's left to the imagination. Fearsome creatures though. Pick their teeth with the splinters of ships they have crunched up...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Isilith   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:35 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Joat42 wrote:RFC answered this question a whale back:
runsforcelery wrote:Think of the doomwhale as an outsized mammalian megalodon: in other words, a great white shark about 20% longer than a blue whale (about 25 meters [or 80 feet or so, for a Safeholdian]), with an extra set of pectoral fins.

There's a reason these things have occasionally sunk galleys or small galleons.

As I told the celery chaser on another thread where he posted that information, a blue whale goes up to 100 feet, not 80. And he is posting this as if the Doomwhale is the 80 foot, 20% larger than a blue whale, size. /facepalms again
Post by MrZero   » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:20 am

MrZero
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Doomwhales were mentioned in the Starfire series. Insurrection, which I'm in the middle of. Weber loves dropping in things from his central story frame. I haven't read the whole series, just waiting until the next Safehold hits the shelves. Crusade is practically a comedy for Weber.
Those Doomwhales are gigantic, even on the whale scale, and are useful for certain medical compounds, including one that causes rapid healing. I think Safeholders just use their doomwhales for oil and meat, though the oil-mining kerosene industry just started in the last Safehold book, so I guess the doomwhales are safer now.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

A completely different universe - AFAICT not even the post-Newtonian physics has any overlaps - so the only thing they have in common is the name.

It would seem that Himself is rather fond of "doomwhale". Understandable, it's so suggestive of mass and power.

MrZero wrote:Doomwhales were mentioned in the Starfire series. Insurrection, which I'm in the middle of. Weber loves dropping in things from his central story frame. I haven't read the whole series, just waiting until the next Safehold hits the shelves. Crusade is practically a comedy for Weber.
Those Doomwhales are gigantic, even on the whale scale, and are useful for certain medical compounds, including one that causes rapid healing. I think Safeholders just use their doomwhales for oil and meat, though the oil-mining kerosene industry just started in the last Safehold book, so I guess the doomwhales are safer now.

Return to Safehold