Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Is there a release date yet for Into the Light?

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Is there a release date yet for Into the Light?
Post by dvdscar   » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:37 pm

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Isilith wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
That would be great, but I'm afraid it's wrong. If I remember correctly, RFC said something about January 2021 or so ... just found it! It's in a tweet of @BureauNine, from July 17th, 2019.

If it is that far out, we will have read the book just through snippets... twice.

I want new snippets as badly as anyone, but I just did some checking, and what MWW has already provided is a bit over 70,000 words of text. That's almost half the length of Out of the Dark. Even if Into the Light is noticeably longer, 70K has got to be at least 25% of the text. I'm not too sure MWW can provide much more than that in snippets without making Tor unhappy.
Post by Louis R   » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

More than 25% would make Himself unhappy, never mind Tor.

Years ago on the Bar somebody complained because they'd actually been exposed to 1/3 of a book before publication, which somehow or other 'ruined the experience'. On consideration, he decided from then on to limit snippets to 25% max.

dvdscar wrote:
I want new snippets as badly as anyone, but I just did some checking, and what MWW has already provided is a bit over 70,000 words of text. That's almost half the length of Out of the Dark. Even if Into the Light is noticeably longer, 70K has got to be at least 25% of the text. I'm not too sure MWW can provide much more than that in snippets without making Tor unhappy.
Post by Eagleeye   » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:12 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

dvdscar wrote:
Isilith wrote:
If it is that far out, we will have read the book just through snippets... twice.

Do you refer to the length of the novel or the short story? Because, before Out of the Dark was a novel, it was published in an abbreviated form in an anthology, "Warriors", edited by G.R.R. Martin in 2010 - and it was a rather lengthy one in that anthology ...
Post by dvdscar   » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 am

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Eagleeye wrote:
dvdscar wrote:

Do you refer to the length of the novel or the short story? Because, before Out of the Dark was a novel, it was published in an abbreviated form in an anthology, "Warriors", edited by G.R.R. Martin in 2010 - and it was a rather lengthy one in that anthology ...

Out of the Dark the novel is in the neighborhood of 145,000 words +/-. The novella is considerably shorter than that. So the snippets received to date for Into the Light are almost half the length of the novel.

I'm fairly certain that Into the Light is going to prove to be longer than the novel form of Out of the Dark, but unless it's over 300,000 words long, MWW doesn't have a lot of room left to post more snippets.
Post by Oakstone   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Oakstone
Midshipman

"I'm fairly certain that Into the Light is going to prove to be longer than the novel form of Out of the Dark, but unless it's over 300,000 words long, MWW doesn't have a lot of room left to post more snippets."

Truth. But I really, really want to see what the Ladies are going to do to the drug cartel after getting their transportation blown up and their hair messed.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:17 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Oakstone wrote:"I'm fairly certain that Into the Light is going to prove to be longer than the novel form of Out of the Dark, but unless it's over 300,000 words long, MWW doesn't have a lot of room left to post more snippets."

Truth. But I really, really want to see what the Ladies are going to do to the drug cartel after getting their transportation blown up and their hair messed.

What's going to happen is obvious, so obvious (in my mind), it is possible the next appearance of the Ladies is when they return to base, driving an ex-cartel vehicle.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:55 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

dvdscar wrote:
Out of the Dark the novel is in the neighborhood of 145,000 words +/-. The novella is considerably shorter than that. So the snippets received to date for Into the Light are almost half the length of the novel.

I'm fairly certain that Into the Light is going to prove to be longer than the novel form of Out of the Dark, but unless it's over 300,000 words long, MWW doesn't have a lot of room left to post more snippets.

I'm on the first readers list, so I have access to the completed novel - without a TOC or appendices it comes to about 215K words. A real barn-burner - my only complaint is that he reused a cliff hanger from another novel.

Which novel you say? I can only quote RFC - tum-te-tum. :twisted:
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
dvdscar wrote:

I'm on the first readers list, so I have access to the completed novel - without a TOC or appendices it comes to about 215K words. A real barn-burner - my only complaint is that he reused a cliff hanger from another novel.

Which novel you say? I can only quote RFC - tum-te-tum. :twisted:

So very likely no or very few more snippets, since we have already seen ~33% of the book. (I admit that when I buy books by others and discover the snippets amount to 40% (+) of the book I do feel somewhat 'cheated', illogical as it may be.) I always thought it was a very odd decision to start giving us snippets when he did for this very reason - but I never look a gift vampire in the mouth. :D
Out of the Dark-Ending
Post by CGAux26   » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:41 pm

CGAux26
Midshipman

Just finished Out of the Dark. Great story. But like too many novels, Weber gets to the last 100 pages or so and seems to lose interest. He pulls out a miracle save of Earth with long- dead vampires coming to the rescue! Not a word of foreshadowing. Totally unbelievable.
Re: Out of the Dark-Ending
Post by Isilith   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:07 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

CGAux26 wrote:Just finished Out of the Dark. Great story. But like too many novels, Weber gets to the last 100 pages or so and seems to lose interest. He pulls out a miracle save of Earth with long- dead vampires coming to the rescue! Not a word of foreshadowing. Totally unbelievable.

Not a word of foreshadowing? Really? -checks you for a fever- Did Weber kick your dog or something? I will be polite, that is just a bad take, for two reasons. 1) It was SUPPOSED to be an out of left field, or "out of the dark" twist. 2) That said, there was a TON of foreshadowing. In fact, many people on here complained to DW that he made it a little too obvious what was coming. Hell, when Vlad was described to us, long before he even gave his assumed name, I was like... oh, he wouldn't, but he did.

Return to Out of the Dark