Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 57 guests

New Honor Harrington short story "Requiem"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
New Honor Harrington short story "Requiem"
Post by bhasseler   » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 pm

bhasseler
Ensign

The new Honor Harrington story "Requiem" by David Carrico will be published in Grantville Gazette 86. This issue comes out November 1 but if you have a membership, you can log in at grantvillegazette.com and read it now.

David Weber gave David Carrico permission to write the story and approved it. It was intended for an anthology, but there's not one being assembled right now. The Grantville Gazette thanks Mr. Weber for letting us publish it.

"Requiem" is set immediately after _Flag in Exile_.
Re: New Honor Harrington short story "Requiem"
Post by dvdscar   » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:57 pm

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Grantville Gazette 86 is available here:

https://www.baen.com/grantville-gazette-volume-86.html
Post by dvdscar   » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:54 pm

dvdscar

The story has been available for a little over two weeks now.

There are over 1800 reads of the announcement posts.

There have been no comments posted here.

Who are you and what have you done with the denizens of the Honorverse forum???

I expected to have been fricasseed or served en brochette by now. :-)

David

bhasseler wrote:The new Honor Harrington story "Requiem" by David Carrico will be published in Grantville Gazette 86. This issue comes out November 1 but if you have a membership, you can log in at grantvillegazette.com and read it now.

David Weber gave David Carrico permission to write the story and approved it. It was intended for an anthology, but there's not one being assembled right now. The Grantville Gazette thanks Mr. Weber for letting us publish it.

"Requiem" is set immediately after _Flag in Exile_.
Post by TheMadPenguin   » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:24 pm

TheMadPenguin

Requiem: Sounds like Honor's motto. See that enemy fleet? Wreck we 'em!
Post by gdkorps   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:52 am

gdkorps
Midshipman

Since David Weber approved it, would this be considered to be part of the Honorverse canon? I'm slightly confused because from what I learned about the Grantville Gazette, it is a fan fiction anthology. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Post by dvdscar   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:45 pm

dvdscar

gdkorps wrote:Since David Weber approved it, would this be considered to be part of the Honorverse canon? I'm slightly confused because from what I learned about the Grantville Gazette, it is a fan fiction anthology. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

You'd have to ask David Weber to know for sure, but I would assume that his approval would make it part of the canon just as much as the stories included in the Honorverse anthologies are part of the canon. In the case of this story, I can tell you that I tried to tell a story about something that we all know had to have happened at the end of Flag In Exile but David didn't include in the novel because it would have bogged down the denouement. It not only aligns with canon, I actively worked to make it fit with canon. Plus, it provides some back story on Julius Hanks' family.

Grantville Gazette is an emagazine that's been around for at least 16 years, having just published issue 86. It started as a fan-fiction outlet for publishing stories related to Eric Flint's 1632 universe, but in 2005 Eric shifted it to a pro-status. It pays professional rates, and the stories published run the gamut from first stories by new authors to very polished work by writers who are really very good. In 2008 or 2009 (I think), Eric added a section to the magazine called The Universe Annex, where he will publish F&SF stories not related to 1632. Over the years, a number of pro authors, most recently including Edward M. Lerner, have had stories published there. This made GG a logical place to publish Requiem. The Grantville Gazette anthologies select and publish the "best of" the 1632 stories in the GG magazine issues.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but I wanted to clarify that this was in the magazine, not in the anthologies.

David

Return to Honorverse