Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

About Mamelukes

Jerry Pournelle’s Janissaries series is alive and well. Drop in to discuss it and — especially— the latest addition: Mamelukes by Jerry himself with a little posthumous help from Phillip Pournelle and David!
Re: About Mamelukes
Post by buffalo24a   » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:20 am

buffalo24a
Midshipman

Very glad to see that this series will continue and be finished. Since we are all getting older, hope we all can survive long enough to read this story....
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:43 am

Peregrinator
Commander

Joat42 wrote:Finally!

I read the series a long time ago and had given up hope that the series would get a conclusion. Time for a refresher read then! :)

If I remember correctly, Jerry had written on Chaos Manor that the series would never get a true conclusion and wasn't meant to have one.
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Peregrinator wrote:
Joat42 wrote:Finally!

I read the series a long time ago and had given up hope that the series would get a conclusion. Time for a refresher read then! :)

If I remember correctly, Jerry had written on Chaos Manor that the series would never get a true conclusion and wasn't meant to have one.

Unfortunately Dr. Pournelle is no longer with us. If, perhaps, you are correct and he felt it should have no true conclusion, he should have concluded the series (not the story) sometime over the 20+ years he had to bring the series to an end. As it is, the story may be ended by the survival of Rick and the mercenaries, the permanent establishment of the University and the eventual overthrow of the Galactic league (or whatever it is called) by wild humans from Tran.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Handsfour   » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Handsfour
Midshipman

One my favorite series: I own all of the books and all of the audio books. I had been hoping someone would finish it, but not in wildest dreams would it have been you (you do have just a bit going on after all). Very grateful and looking forward to it.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I read that series and had always hoped it would be continued. Let out the 1st book to the guy who was my direct boss in about 1985 and never got it back( he left the company)
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:40 am

Peregrinator
Commander

Keith_w wrote:Unfortunately Dr. Pournelle is no longer with us. If, perhaps, you are correct and he felt it should have no true conclusion, he should have concluded the series (not the story) sometime over the 20+ years he had to bring the series to an end. As it is, the story may be ended by the survival of Rick and the mercenaries, the permanent establishment of the University and the eventual overthrow of the Galactic league (or whatever it is called) by wild humans from Tran.

Let me be more precise. What I recall is that he wrote that the humans on Tran would never get back to Earth.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Peregrinator wrote:
Keith_w wrote:Unfortunately Dr. Pournelle is no longer with us. If, perhaps, you are correct and he felt it should have no true conclusion, he should have concluded the series (not the story) sometime over the 20+ years he had to bring the series to an end. As it is, the story may be ended by the survival of Rick and the mercenaries, the permanent establishment of the University and the eventual overthrow of the Galactic league (or whatever it is called) by wild humans from Tran.

Let me be more precise. What I recall is that he wrote that the humans on Tran would never get back to Earth.

Dr Pournelle suffered a brain tumor that required massive radiation doses to burn out. He discovered that the radiation also burned out his ability to write.
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:44 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Will this be the last book in the series? Having observed RFC's writing habits over the past few years, I am just wondering if he is planning on continuing the series.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:59 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

As it's not his IP...

My understanding is that Jerry was simply unable to complete the manuscript so his heirs selected the best available candidate [presumably in consultation with Toni at Baen] to finish it. At this point it would surprise me if it even earned out, so continuing wouldn't ever be a consideration.

Keith_w wrote:Will this be the last book in the series? Having observed RFC's writing habits over the past few years, I am just wondering if he is planning on continuing the series.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:18 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Louis R wrote:As it's not his IP...

My understanding is that Jerry was simply unable to complete the manuscript so his heirs selected the best available candidate [presumably in consultation with Toni at Baen] to finish it. At this point it would surprise me if it even earned out, so continuing wouldn't ever be a consideration.

Keith_w wrote:Will this be the last book in the series? Having observed RFC's writing habits over the past few years, I am just wondering if he is planning on continuing the series.

Actually, I believe that Jerry's son Philip finished it, and Toni asked David (presumably with Philip's aproval) to do a final clean up. According to David at last year's NASFIC, he did some cleanup, and moved one of Philip's sections to a place that it made more sense.

I do believe that this is the end, unless Philip decides to continue the series.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Mamelukes