Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Time Travel Thoughts, what would you want to observe?

David's and Jacob Holo's newest alternate, cross history series.
Re: Time Travel Thoughts, what would you want to observe?
Post by Daryl   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:32 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Your pacemaker would explode with the shower scene.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
Daryl wrote:Good topic, surprised it hasn't been swamped.
A point to ponder is that it has been stated that the average western family sees more drama in a month on TV than an Ancient Greek Aristocrat would see in his entire life. Admittedly some modern soaps aren't up to Oedipus the King, or Lysistrata in quality, but quantity has its own quality.

Woodstock is number one for me.
A Beatles jam session before they became famous.
Jutland.
All of Joat42's list, highly commended.
Pompeii (from a safe distance), have visited since.
Bismark battle.
A discrete video of when I met my wife 45 years ago.
Waterloo.
Anything from the real Jurassic.

How about the indiscrete video?
Post by Lunan   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:Your pacemaker would explode with the shower scene.

Now Now, we are not to mention the SHOWER episode from Miss Hernes early career on loan to the RMN
Post by phillies   » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm

phillies
Admiral

Extreme deep field astronomical observations from 100,000 or half a galactic rotation ago would be interesting, but I suspect unattainable with their current technology.

Lunan wrote:ok so following a non-intervention or as minimal as possible what might you want to observe.
This thought came to me when youtube popped up Queen's Performance at live aid.

With the recording tech we have now can you imiagine traveling back in time an attendting that performance? or Aerosmith at their prime, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, Metallica, Madonna, etc etc.

ART goes back or went back to observe and record historical events, but what sub specialties of sub specialties must there be in there, someone who studies the history of music, goes to hear the greeks, the romans, Beethoven, Motzart, Janis Joplin, goes to woodstock.

an Art historian just watches Leonardo work, or the construction of the Parthenon.

etc etc.
what would you want to do?
Clearly i would like to spend a year or 10 going to all the amazing music venues of the past and RECORD it with the most in depth recording technology i could.

not the "was there a Moses, was there a person who inspired the Jesus myths, what there a flood that inspired Noah or Atlantis" i'm thinking of the more mundane things you'd be interested in if you could travel backwards and observe?
Post by Tregonsee   » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:08 am

Tregonsee
Ensign

Watch the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk.
Probably no way to do so without unacceptable consequences, but fly an eastbound(!) voyage on the Hindenburg.
Observe the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay.
Listen to Churchill's Never Surrender speech live.
Post by locarno24   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:03 am

locarno24
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Joat42 wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:interesting list, but 'Steal Hitler's wallet'????
why?? :-)

Because it's not going to change history, but I know it will make him have a bad day.

Google it, it's from the book Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas

Makes me think of Timewatch, if you've ever played the RPG?

You're essentially time-cops and one of the worst jobs you can be given is "Hitler Duty".

One of the first things 90% of people seem to decide to do after inventing a time machine is "go assassinate Adolf Hitler", so as a result you've got this secret time-travel organisation (which your characters are part of) forced to provide round-the-clock retroactive security (without anyone knowing) against poison, snipers, bombs, nanotech swarms, and in one case in the books a redirected NEO asteroid, for someone that everyone involved would happily beat the crud out of with a broken baseball bat if only causality would let them get away with it....

Getting stuck on a month's "Hitler Duty" is the setting's equivalent of Traffic, or manning a radar station in the Arctic....
Post by Panzer   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:12 am

Panzer
Lieutenant Commander

locarno24 wrote:Makes me think of Timewatch, if you've ever played the RPG?

You're essentially time-cops and one of the worst jobs you can be given is "Hitler Duty".

One of the first things 90% of people seem to decide to do after inventing a time machine is "go assassinate Adolf Hitler", so as a result you've got this secret time-travel organisation (which your characters are part of) forced to provide round-the-clock retroactive security (without anyone knowing) against poison, snipers, bombs, nanotech swarms, and in one case in the books a redirected NEO asteroid, for someone that everyone involved would happily beat the crud out of with a broken baseball bat if only causality would let them get away with it....

Getting stuck on a month's "Hitler Duty" is the setting's equivalent of Traffic, or manning a radar station in the Arctic....

Have I got a story for you!

https://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/
Post by orelsi   » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:08 pm

orelsi
Ensign

Good topic. Historic events that are well documented in our near past is a given, but I'd like to go further back. I'd visit all the extinction events in Earth's past. From dinosaurs to the ones that wiped a large percentage of life in the oceans hundreds of millions of years ago. From the Jurassic to the Cambrian and even earlier.

Would also go even further and check out how the Moon was formed, how the Earth was formed before that and even (if possible) check out the gas cloud that gave birth to the Sun. Imagine seeing that moment.

Return to Gordian Division