Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Leisure and Sports

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:(in a previous post, I pointed out that Safehold isn't the only Weber world that plays baseball)

IIRC, the state of Idaho was mentioned as an important source of Grayson colonists. However, Austin Grayson appears to have imposed retro-rules for Baseball.

isaac_newton wrote:Of course, in Grayson it must have been an indoors variant or else played in masks etc... or have I got that wrong - at least until Honor started the large dome era

Bluesqueak wrote:War of Honor states that the stadiums were built as per the original rules, but with air filtration incorporated. Presumably they had glass roofs.

Mind you, as a non-baseball fan, I entirely agree with Austin Grayson over reverting to the old rules for pitchers. When it was explained to me what a designated hitter was, my first thought was that this was cheating.

Many cricket bowlers have also been very capable batters, because they know they'll have no choice but to bat.

Does Safehold have designated hitters? Anyone know?

I believe that in OAR there is a mention of the pitcher batting, so I assume NL rules, not AL.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:58 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I do hope Cayleb starts something like the America's Cup regatta. Have the entrants qualify under their national residence, rather than under the empire. Open the competition up to other nations for sailing ships only. Besides being powered by sail, anything goes. Steel hulls and or masts? Sure! New fangled sail cloths and lines? Sure.

The idea is to squeeze the most out of current materials with new technology or applications of existing tech. Those teams that design the fastest boats or ships and then sail them to victory get a huge prize. I can see Dohlar, Trelheim, the UP as well as most of the Kingdoms of the Empire entering teams. I can also see aristocrats and industrialists entering their own teams on behalf of their companies or even their Kingdoms.

The love of sailing and contesting wind and wave is too deep in the Charisian psyche to be lost in one generation. Reverence for the skilled sailor needs to be expressed somehow. An international regatta would be perfect for doing just that.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
isaac_newton wrote: SNIP
Of course, in Grayson it must have been an indoors variant or else played in masks etc... or have I got that wrong - at least until Honor started the large dome era

War of Honor states that the stadiums were built as per the original rules, but with air filtration incorporated. Presumably they had glass roofs.

Mind you, as a non-baseball fan, I entirely agree with Austin Grayson over reverting to the old rules for pitchers. When it was explained to me what a designated hitter was, my first thought was that this was cheating.

Many cricket bowlers have also been very capable batters, because they know they'll have no choice but to bat.

Does Safehold have designated hitters? Anyone know?

what actually is the size of a base ball 'arena' - including seating space - it feels like that would be a very large span - especially in the early years of Greyson?

I keep on getting mixed up here between the Safehold and the Grayson games - especially that scene in OAR? where they are all sitting outside in the sunshine watching.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:what actually is the size of a base ball 'arena' - including seating space - it feels like that would be a very large span - especially in the early years of Greyson?

I keep on getting mixed up here between the Safehold and the Grayson games - especially that scene in OAR? where they are all sitting outside in the sunshine watching.

I'm presuming that the Graysons would install 'glass' as soon as they possibly could, but roofed stadiums are twentieth century tech. The one I worked in (which is why I have Opinions on baseball, while not being a fan) had a fibreglass roof which was supported partly by air pressure.

That's the sort of technology that the Graysons would almost have to maintain, because a slight overpressure in the buildings they live in mean that any leakage goes out, not inwards. Thus avoiding nasties coming in.

I think the smallest stadium is in Florida? Currently called after its fruit drink sponsors.

But while Grayson wasn't as quite as big a technical mish-mash as the artificially constrained Safehold, I suspect the technology concerned with staying alive (like air conditioning and how to build and maintain habitats) was always far more advanced than everything else.

Medicine in Safehold is reasonably comparable with the Twentieth Century, even if the 'Archangels' hid both the reasoning and genetically engineered plants to replace antibiotics. Transport, via canal, is easily at early nineteenth century standards.

Incidentally, once canals are no longer needed for hauling cargo, there's an entire recreational leisure time activity ready to go. Canal boat holidays, anyone?
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Ooooo, steam powered houseboats! Sort of like campers cruising the canals. It'll be a while before someone creates a Winnebego for the roads, but houseboats should be currently possible.

KOA camp grounds start opening up along every canal as well as all sorts of unique attractions to entertain tourists.
Post by Erls   » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:I do hope Cayleb starts something like the America's Cup regatta. Have the entrants qualify under their national residence, rather than under the empire. Open the competition up to other nations for sailing ships only. Besides being powered by sail, anything goes. Steel hulls and or masts? Sure! New fangled sail cloths and lines? Sure.

The idea is to squeeze the most out of current materials with new technology or applications of existing tech. Those teams that design the fastest boats or ships and then sail them to victory get a huge prize. I can see Dohlar, Trelheim, the UP as well as most of the Kingdoms of the Empire entering teams. I can also see aristocrats and industrialists entering their own teams on behalf of their companies or even their Kingdoms.

The love of sailing and contesting wind and wave is too deep in the Charisian psyche to be lost in one generation. Reverence for the skilled sailor needs to be expressed somehow. An international regatta would be perfect for doing just that.

The "Howell Bay Cup", with the race starting at Lock Island (with a complete circle of the Island) and then heading to Tellesburg.

Or the "Darcos Regatta", racing from Darcos Keep to Tellesburg.

Or the "Eraystor Cup", racing from Lock Island, making a clockwise loop around Darcos Island, and ending at Eraystor.

Of course, the "Corisande Circuit" could be a classic as well, with racers sailing clear around the island.

Heck, each year the location could change, requiring racers to optimize their craft each year for different conditions and distances.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Not putting soccer, pool and snooker in the Writ proves what a diabolic monster Langhorne was! :mrgreen:
Post by Julia Minor   » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:08 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

isaac_newton wrote:
what actually is the size of a base ball 'arena' - including seating space - it feels like that would be a very large span - especially in the early years of Greyson?

My local stadium doesn't have a roof, but my understanding is that it could have been roofed had the city been willing to shell out the additional cash. (And if it wasn't being used for fireworks displays as well as baseball games.) From home plate to the center field wall is 408 feet/124 meters, home plate to the right field or left field walls are 335 feet/102 meters. And that's the area that would need to be roofed with no support pillars, the seating areas can have pillars.
Post by eldrwyrm   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:02 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

My guess is that with soldiers coming home from the war, those that experienced skiing as part of the action in northern Siddarmark are the most likely candidates to expand the sport. I could particularly see cross-country catching on in Chisholm, and possibly spreading to the Raven Lands, though far be it from those barbarians to do anything so decadent as "leisure sports." I could also see these soldiers introducing the idea of the bi-athlon, probably over a drunken challenge.

I also agree that the prevalence of fire-arms would lead to increase in shooting sports and hunting. Particularly if older, out of date arms were sold through surplus auctions.

That was one thing that I always wanted to see in the series. I wanted one of the named soldiers to get seriously injured and sent home so that we could see some of the changes in the daily lives on the home front. Maybe he gets home and finds out that his wife managed to get herself a foot pedal sewing machine or something along those lines.
Post by saber964   » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

eldrwyrm wrote:My guess is that with soldiers coming home from the war, those that experienced skiing as part of the action in northern Siddarmark are the most likely candidates to expand the sport. I could particularly see cross-country catching on in Chisholm, and possibly spreading to the Raven Lands, though far be it from those barbarians to do anything so decadent as "leisure sports." I could also see these soldiers introducing the idea of the bi-athlon, probably over a drunken challenge.

I also agree that the prevalence of fire-arms would lead to increase in shooting sports and hunting. Particularly if older, out of date arms were sold through surplus auctions.

That was one thing that I always wanted to see in the series. I wanted one of the named soldiers to get seriously injured and sent home so that we could see some of the changes in the daily lives on the home front. Maybe he gets home and finds out that his wife managed to get herself a foot pedal sewing machine or something along those lines.

It's how Downhill Skiing got its real start in the U.S. Troops returning home from the 10th Mountain Division taking up skiing in the 1950's and 1960's.

Return to Safehold