Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Name other ships in the class

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Name other ships in the class
Post by saber964   » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:20 pm

saber964
Admiral

Erls wrote:I think I can name a number of the Nike class BCs. :idea:

HMS Reebok
HMS Adidas
HMS Converse
HMS Puma
HMS Allen Edmonds
HMS Under Armour
HMS Louis Vitton

:lol:

Add HMS Vans or HMS Jimmy Chu
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:The RMN appears to mostly follow a theme when naming the ships in a given class, like apparently most navies do. Examples of this are the Courageous-class CLs (positive adjectives, like Fearless and Audacious), Illustrious-class CLs, Edward Saganami-class CAs (famous or important navy personnel), and the Invictus-class SD(P)s (the letter I and mostly adjectives).

So I thought we could have a little brainstorming of other ships in known classes and help RFC and his fellow writers with ideas.

I'll start with the Ad Astra-class DNs. There were only 11 of them (though 16 were planned) and the theme seems to be "lofty phrases in Latin".

• Ad Astra - "to the stars"
  • Ab Nihilo - "from nothing"
  • Ab Rege - "by the king" (might be Ab Regina if the ship was commissioned after Queen Adrienne ascended in 1669)
  • Ad Altitudines - "to heights/loftiness" (though also "to the depths")
  • Ad Infinitum - "to the infinite"
  • Ad Scientiam - "to science/knowledge"
  • Ad Virtutem - "to/towards virtue/strength/power"
  • Ex Mari or Ab Mari - "out of the sea" or "from the sea"
  • Ex Tenebris - "out of/from the darkness"
  • Ultra Limitem - "beyond/past the limit"

And of course, Cum Honore - "with Honor" or Per Honorem - "for the honor".

We can continue this ad nauseam.

On a serious note, I've been trying to figure out what the naming convention (and names ) were for the Samothrace class.

We know the first ship (and Class) appears to be named for the "Winged Victory of Samothrace" statue. The only other known ship of the class is the Hercules, and one probable ship was the Hadrian, which was the flagship lost at Seaford 9.

From that, I'm thinking the class might be named for Roman/Greek monuments/structures

Samothrace - Winged Victory of Samothrace
Hercules - The Pillars of Hercules
Hadrian - Hadrian's Wall

Possible???

Trajan - Trajan's Column
Diocletian - Diocletian's Palace
Septimus - Arch of Septimus Severus
Elgin - the Elgin Marbles

Anyone have any ideas or seen any ship names which fit the convention? (or see a better convention for the 3 ships we know of?) remember, the class was only 7 ships)
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:On a serious note, I've been trying to figure out what the naming convention (and names ) were for the Samothrace class.

We know the first ship (and Class) appears to be named for the "Winged Victory of Samothrace" statue. The only other known ship of the class is the Hercules, and one probable ship was the Hadrian, which was the flagship lost at Seaford 9.

From that, I'm thinking the class might be named for Roman/Greek monuments/structures

Hadrian - Hadrian's Wall

Possible???

Trajan - Trajan's Column

Anyone have any ideas or seen any ship names which fit the convention? (or see a better convention for the 3 ships we know of?) remember, the class was only 7 ships)

With only 7 ships, it's possible to stick to a theme. We may have an HMS Rhodes (after the Colossus of Rhodes) and an HMS Halicarnassus (after the Mausoleum) too. If we go a little further, we could have HMS Alexandria after the lighthouse, which though in Egypt, was actually built during the Hellenistic period.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:35 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Theemile wrote:On a serious note, I've been trying to figure out what the naming convention (and names ) were for the Samothrace class.

Hadrian - Hadrian's Wall

Possible???

Trajan - Trajan's Column

With only 7 ships, it's possible to stick to a theme. We may have an HMS Rhodes (after the Colossus of Rhodes) and an HMS Halicarnassus (after the Mausoleum) too. If we go a little further, we could have HMS Alexandria after the lighthouse, which though in Egypt, was actually built during the Hellenistic period.

Oh, I've found 4 more names of for the King Williams Class of ships that are not expected. The list of example names from Jayne's RMN is:

King David, King Edward, King George, King Michael, King Roger, King William, Prince Charles, Prince Malachai, Prince Royal, Queen Adrianne, Queen Caitrin

However, George is not one of the 16 Manticorian Kings/Queens, and Prince Charles, Prince Malachai, Prince Royal, and definitely not kings/queens. Which still leaves 5 names unaccounted for.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by saber964   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:26 pm

saber964
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ThinksMarkedly"[quote="Theemile wrote:On a serious note, I've been trying to figure out what the naming convention (and names ) were for the Samothrace class.

Hadrian - Hadrian's Wall

Possible???

Trajan - Trajan's Column

Oh, I've found 4 more names of for the King Williams Class of ships that are not expected. The list of example names from Jayne's RMN is:

King David, King Edward, King George, King Michael, King Roger, King William, Prince Charles, Prince Malachai, Prince Royal, Queen Adrianne, Queen Caitrin

However, George is not one of the 16 Manticorian Kings/Queens, and Prince Charles, Prince Malachai, Prince Royal, and definitely not kings/queens. Which still leaves 5 names unaccounted for.[/quote]

King George was retconed for King MichaelII. If you read The Universe of Honor Harrington in Worlds of Honor anthology you will find the name.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Oh, I've found 4 more names of for the King Williams Class of ships that are not expected. The list of example names from Jayne's RMN is:

However, George is not one of the 16 Manticorian Kings/Queens, and Prince Charles, Prince Malachai, Prince Royal, and definitely not kings/queens. Which still leaves 5 names unaccounted for.

Since the class was launched in 1872, I suppose a Queen Samantha would be logical too. Plus, King Roger's mother was Samantha II, so there was another to name after.

If there are presumptive heir princes and princesses who did not assume the throne, then maybe a Princess Sophia, daughter of King Edward, is another.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:45 am

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:If there are presumptive heir princes and princesses who did not assume the throne, then maybe a Princess Sophia, daughter of King Edward, is another.

Sophia was formally designated as Edward's heir. She was moaning to her Aunt Elizabeth about the restrictions she was under since her father became King. No more hang gliding. The personal watercraft ride she and her father were on was supposed to be a last hurrah before she settled down and accepted that the life of the Crown Princess was not as carefree as the life of the eldest daughter of the Crown Prince.

Until she took a piece of flotsam across the intakes of the water jets propelling her PWC.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:26 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:

King George was retconed for King MichaelII. If you read The Universe of Honor Harrington in Worlds of Honor anthology you will find the name.

I forgot about that one - so we need 7 more names, since Michael II/George was one of the 16 monarchs, and Elizabeth III was not a queen when the ships were built.

The problem with prince/princess names - the Prince Consort class of CAs was already under construction prior to the start of the King William class - most of the Prince/Princess names were probably already used.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:25 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:The problem with prince/princess names - the Prince Consort class of CAs was already under construction prior to the start of the King William class - most of the Prince/Princess names were probably already used.

Princes and princesses consort are not crown princes and princesses. The former are the parents of the latter, except when they're brothers- or sisters-in-law.

But unlike the King William class, there were 175 Prince Consort built, so they definitely had to switch themes. Unless the RMN decided to name a ship after every boyfriend and girlfriend, mistress and paramour that tthe kings and queens had...
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:13 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Hadrian - Hadrian's Wall

Possible???

Trajan - Trajan's Column

There were any number of statues of "Winged Victory" aka Nike in the ancient world. Probably where that name came from.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Honorverse