Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Leisure and Sports

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:There is no precedent an Olympic style event.

On the other hand, EVERYONE on Safehold is a baseball fan. I can see Howsmyn sponsoring a World Cup style international baseball tournament. Invite every nation to send a team. Hold the first finals in Zion during summer. Rotate the finals every time you run the tournament. Perhaps hold it every 4 years.
Maybe even have Cayleb and Sharley put up the prizes. Serious prize money for the players and something more for the nation the teams represent. Not sure what that national prize might be, but it should be something good.

SilverbladeTE wrote:

fair point! :)

though when rest of us across the globe see US News channels talking about "World Series baseball" and see only a handful of countries participating...lol :p
I will admit, it is a lot more fun, and safer! than cricket :D

On the other hand, the Little League World Series has quite a significant international footprint. Asia, the Caribbean as well as North and South America all participate.
Post by Louis R   » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:45 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

A _handful_ of countries? AFAIK, the total count has never been more than 2, and that only for 2 consecutive years in the early 90s.

SilverbladeTE wrote:
PeterZ wrote:There is no precedent an Olympic style event.

On the other hand, EVERYONE on Safehold is a baseball fan. I can see Howsmyn sponsoring a World Cup style international baseball tournament. Invite every nation to send a team. Hold the first finals in Zion during summer. Rotate the finals every time you run the tournament. Perhaps hold it every 4 years.
Maybe even have Cayleb and Sharley put up the prizes. Serious prize money for the players and something more for the nation the teams represent. Not sure what that national prize might be, but it should be something good.

fair point! :)

though when rest of us across the globe see US News channels talking about "World Series baseball" and see only a handful of countries participating...lol :p
I will admit, it is a lot more fun, and safer! than cricket :D
Post by Bluesqueak   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:49 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Louis R wrote:A _handful_ of countries? AFAIK, the total count has never been more than 2, and that only for 2 consecutive years in the early 90s.

I think the World Baseball Classic is the actual 'World Cup' equivalent for baseball. That's been running since 2006.

Yeah, the 'World' Series is a long running joke outside the US - but I think at the time it was first proposed, baseball was only played professionally in the United States. So a contest between the two major leagues really was a contest to see who was the 'best baseball team in the world'.

Mind you, Langhorne enforcing baseball as the God-imposed game definitely makes me think he was a total lunatic. :)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:14 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Bluesqueak wrote:
Louis R wrote:A _handful_ of countries? AFAIK, the total count has never been more than 2, and that only for 2 consecutive years in the early 90s.

I think the World Baseball Classic is the actual 'World Cup' equivalent for baseball. That's been running since 2006.

Yeah, the 'World' Series is a long running joke outside the US - but I think at the time it was first proposed, baseball was only played professionally in the United States. So a contest between the two major leagues really was a contest to see who was the 'best baseball team in the world'.

Mind you, Langhorne enforcing baseball as the God-imposed game definitely makes me think he was a total lunatic. :)

Grayson, in the Honorverse, also plays baseball (IIRC, without the designated hitter and with the pre-1969CE pitching mound height). That is enough for me to suspect that David Weber is a baseball fan.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:32 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:Grayson, in the Honorverse, also plays baseball (IIRC, without the designated hitter and with the pre-1969CE pitching mound height). That is enough for me to suspect that David Weber is a baseball fan.

Some of us find baseball the best of spectator sports. Hockey comes in a close second, followed a bit further back by basketball. Football (either the Euro/Latin American fad or the American sport) come a distant last. Watching the American version on TV makes it better.

Nothing beats going to a baseball game on a summer afternoon for enjoying a sports contest.

Now, watching baseball on TV is far less enjoyable. American football is best for enjoying on TV.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:

Grayson, in the Honorverse, also plays baseball (IIRC, without the designated hitter and with the pre-1969CE pitching mound height). That is enough for me to suspect that David Weber is a baseball fan.

I can forgive Grayson. :) They were trying desperately to cling on to civilisation on a planet that tried to kill them every single day. Holding onto the ability to play games was probably very important to them. And they came from the old United States (MidWest, if I recall correctly).

But Langhorne imposed baseball by religious fiat. Heck, most of the people he imposed it on were probably soccer players. It's part and parcel of his meglomania - Safehold had to have his culture, his way, right down to his favourite sport.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:47 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

(in a previous post, I pointed out that Safehold isn't the only Weber world that plays baseball)

Bluesqueak wrote:
I can forgive Grayson. :) They were trying desperately to cling on to civilisation on a planet that tried to kill them every single day. Holding onto the ability to play games was probably very important to them. And they came from the old United States (MidWest, if I recall correctly).

But Langhorne imposed baseball by religious fiat. Heck, most of the people he imposed it on were probably soccer players. It's part and parcel of his meglomania - Safehold had to have his culture, his way, right down to his favourite sport.

IIRC, the state of Idaho was mentioned as an important source of Grayson colonists. However, Austin Grayson appears to have imposed retro-rules for Baseball.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by phillies   » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:49 am

phillies
Admiral

The International League dates to the 1880s, though it has come and gone and reorganized since.

Bluesqueak wrote:

Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:(in a previous post, I pointed out that Safehold isn't the only Weber world that plays baseball)

Bluesqueak wrote:

IIRC, the state of Idaho was mentioned as an important source of Grayson colonists. However, Austin Grayson appears to have imposed retro-rules for Baseball.

Of course, in Grayson it must have been an indoors variant or else played in masks etc... or have I got that wrong - at least until Honor started the large dome era
Post by Bluesqueak   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:(in a previous post, I pointed out that Safehold isn't the only Weber world that plays baseball)

Of course, in Grayson it must have been an indoors variant or else played in masks etc... or have I got that wrong - at least until Honor started the large dome era

War of Honor states that the stadiums were built as per the original rules, but with air filtration incorporated. Presumably they had glass roofs.

Mind you, as a non-baseball fan, I entirely agree with Austin Grayson over reverting to the old rules for pitchers. When it was explained to me what a designated hitter was, my first thought was that this was cheating.

Many cricket bowlers have also been very capable batters, because they know they'll have no choice but to bat.

Does Safehold have designated hitters? Anyone know?

Return to Safehold