Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Starting Third Read Of the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Starting Third Read Of the Honorverse
Post by sonex   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:30 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

I just started my third read of Honorverse the other day. I did my first two reads during 2018. Sure glad I checked out Honor Harington.
Last edited by sonex on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Re: Starting Third Read Of the Honorverse
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

sonex wrote:I bought OBS in winter 2018, ...

Whin I boudg the first, the was no second ... 197? something?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Theemile   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
sonex wrote:I bought OBS in winter 2018, ...

Whin I boudg the first, the was no second ... 197? something?

I got into the Honorverse when Ashes of Victory was snippeting in late 1999. A friend dropped Echos of Honor and the Ashes snippets on me electronically (the snippets first, unfortunately), and my head spun until I got him to admit he was dropping me in the middle of a massive series. I devoured OBS and the rest well before Ashes was in the stores in March 2000.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by sonex   » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:18 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

[quote="Theemile
I got into the Honorverse when Ashes of Victory was snippeting in late 1999. A friend dropped Echos of Honor and the Ashes snippets on me electronically (the snippets first, unfortunately), and my head spun until I got him to admit he was dropping me in the middle of a massive series. I devoured OBS and the rest well before Ashes was in the stores in March 2000.[/quote]

I was busy with "Safehold" series, and Preston/Child thrillers, and many SF Kindle authors before I finely decided to check out "Honor Harrington" :P
Sure glad I did :mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Post by saber964   » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:48 pm

saber964
Admiral

Me I discovered the Honorvers when I asked for a recommendation from a librarian at my local public library. She recommended War of Honor. That was in late October 2010, by the end of January 2011 I had read everything the library had and had purchased every Honorverse book available. I later branched out and read the Empire of Man and Safehold series along with have a fun time with Alicia DeVeries.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:13 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

I found out about the Honorverse scanning the Amazon Kindle Books new list when A Call To Duty came out in 2014. So I read about he series, found out that OBS was the first book and purchased it.

For some reason, I waited until A Call To Vengeance came out last year (2018) because the Manticore Ascendant series was supposed to be a trilogy and I wanted to read in chronological order... (what was I thinking?) I read everything except the Star Kingdom series from Christmas last year to June this year.

I forced myself to add another dozen other books in-between so I wouldn't read it too fast.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:37 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

I got hooked (that's the correct word) when the pushers at Baen gave away free copies of In Enemy hands at Buccaneer ( every pusher knows that you give away the first taste). After that it was "find anything this that RFC has ever written and buy it.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:I got hooked (that's the correct word) when the pushers at Baen gave away free copies of In Enemy hands at Buccaneer ( every pusher knows that you give away the first taste). After that it was "find anything this that RFC has ever written and buy it.

Oh, yeah. I'm not sure Safehold will catch my fancy, but I have Starfire queued up after I finish Revelation Space (Alastair Reynolds).

In the Amazon sample, there was already a Manticore planet, a Sakanami, something that could be thought of an OFS-lite, ...
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

I "discovered" David Weber with one of his earliest books "Insurrection". WOW! That was my first experience with baen books also. I quickly learned that ANY book with the baen logo on the book spine would be a book I would like. Then came "Crusade". When "On Basilisk Station" came out I jumped on it immediately.
Since "Honor of the Queen" was basically submitted at the same time as OBS, I became an Honor Harrington junky after reading those first 2 books. I spent the following years (and decades) anxiously awaiting the next Honorverse story (or actually ANY Weber book) and re reading all of the series as each new book came out. I have probably read OBS 15-20 times now, I've actually re read any and ALL of the various "Weber" books a minimum of 10 times.
When "Uncompromising Honor" was released I re read the entire series up to that point (again!) There are a few in the series that I liked better than the others ("Echoes of Honor" for example) and a few that I liked a little less. I also have also re read the Honorverse anthologies at least 10 times.
I have bought ANYTHING with David Weber's name on it, because every single one of his different series (and universes) has something to recommend about it. So for any of you who have only been a "Weber" fan, for a short time, I kind of envy you, because you get all of that goodness all at once, without having to wait for each next new book. I also know that you can renew that joy by re reading them again and again, for YEARS to come. And that's no exaggeration! :lol:
Post by bert953   » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:53 pm

bert953
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I first started reading sci-fi in elementary school and have been an avid reader since then. Im now 62. My first Honor Harrington book was Flag in exile, which l found in a local library. After that i went back and read the entire series starting with On Basilisk Station. At this point lve read all of David Webers books. I will admit that when Off Armageddon Reef came out l looked at it and said "nah lm not reading this it doesnt sound interesting". More than a year later l picked it up and couldn't put it down....Wow what a series!

When l read Out of the dark it was interesting but at the ending l said Vlad Dracula, really? I felt the ending was "cheating" somehow, but have after rereading it & the Into the light snippets Ive come to appreciate it and am looking forward to reading Into thd light.

Return to Honorverse