Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Newly registered user has a question (help me, please)

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Newly registered user has a question (help me, please)
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Can anyone of you help me to use one of the features for a poster? What I would like to know (please) is how to get a specific post to appear as the "greyed" out prelude to my own post, so that it can be clear exactly which post that I want to address or reply to is from?
I've looked around the various options that are available, but I can't figure out how to do this. The various in's and out's for a newbie (such as myself) could really benefit if some small notes (somewhere) might be listed, that can tell us how to use the various features and options that are available to us. Unless, of course, there already is such a place, and I just haven't located it yet. LOL :lol:
I DID want to thank all of the member's of this forum who have already helped me with a question, and who have made me feel welcome as a newly registered user. The whole experience has really been FUN! I really should have registered a LONG time ago!
WOW! I just noticed that I've had my first promotion! Now, I'm REALLY excited to be here!
Re: Newly registered user has a question (help me, please)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:25 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Mycall4me wrote:Can anyone of you help me to use one of the features for a poster? What I would like to know (please) is how to get a specific post to appear as the "greyed" out prelude to my own post, so that it can be clear exactly which post that I want to address or reply to is from?

The only method I know is to use the "reply with quote". that would enclose the entire quote. A little bit of editing would allow splitting the quote into two sections like I have done here (essentially, I added the end quote statement at the end fo the paragraph above and inserted the begin quote statement at the beginning of the paragraph below (I am not using the exact syntax, because I suspect that it would be used as instructions).

Mycall4me wrote: I've looked around the various options that are available, but I can't figure out how to do this. The various in's and out's for a newbie (such as myself) could really benefit if some small notes (somewhere) might be listed, that can tell us how to use the various features and options that are available to us. Unless, of course, there already is such a place, and I just haven't located it yet. LOL :lol:
I DID want to thank all of the member's of this forum who have already helped me with a question, and who have made me feel welcome as a newly registered user. The whole experience has really been FUN! I really should have registered a LONG time ago!
WOW! I just noticed that I've had my first promotion! Now, I'm REALLY excited to be here!
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

If you want to quote less than an entire post, or from multiple posts, click ‘Post a reply’ under Forum Actions. The latest ten or so posts in that topic will be shown below the text entry box. At the top of each post will be the clickable text ‘Quote Mycall4me’ (as an example). If you click on that, the entire post will be placed in your text entry box with the appropriate block-quote attributes. If you first highlight some text in the post, just that selected text will be placed as a quote in your text entry box, after the cursor.

Quotes can be nested to a maximum of three levels. Start with the outermost quote, then place a nested quote where you want it within the outer quote's text.

You can also use font sizes other than the options shown. Select some text, make it bigger, then change the size=150 to some other number:

BOMB SQUAD
IF I AM RUNNING
YOU SHOULD RUN TOO

How do you make square brackets appear in a post? [ and ] don't work, as you all can see. Looks like there's no way to center-justify text, either.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:If you want to quote less than an entire post, or from multiple posts, click ‘Post a reply’ under Forum Actions. The latest ten or so posts in that topic will be shown below the text entry box. At the top of each post will be the clickable text ‘Quote Mycall4me’ (as an example). If you click on that, the entire post will be placed in your text entry box with the appropriate block-quote attributes. If you first highlight some text in the post, just that selected text will be placed as a quote in your text entry box, after the cursor.
Ok, this is me testing to see if I understand the answer to my question.
Quotes can be nested to a maximum of three levels. Start with the outermost quote, then place a nested quote where you want it within the outer quote's text.

You can also use font sizes other than the options shown. Select some text, make it bigger, then change the size=150 to some other number:

BOMB SQUAD
IF I AM RUNNING
YOU SHOULD RUN TOO

How do you make square brackets appear in a post? [ and ] don't work, as you all can see. Looks like there's no way to center-justify text, either.
———————————
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:57 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:If you want to quote less than an entire post, or from multiple posts, click ‘Post a reply’ under Forum Actions. The latest ten or so posts in that topic will be shown below the text entry box. At the top of each post will be the clickable text ‘Quote Mycall4me’ (as an example). If you click on that, the entire post will be placed in your text entry box with the appropriate block-quote attributes. If you first highlight some text in the post, just that selected text will be placed as a quote in your text entry box, after the cursor.

BOMB SQUAD
IF I AM RUNNING
YOU SHOULD RUN TOO

———————————
Ok, this is me trying out the answer to my original question (see above) This is my second try (the first try was apparently not correct) I've got my fingers crossed, and hope it works this time.
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

BOMB SQUAD
IF I AM RUNNING
YOU SHOULD RUN TOO

———————————
Ok, this is try number three. Try number two DID work (sort of) I got my greyed out reply, AND I got the second attempt to show also, but it was another greyed out vox, what I'm attempting is to get my third attemprpt to appear as a regular post (no greyed out box, I want my texted reply to have a white background) So, here goes, wish me luck!
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

BOMB SQUAD
IF I AM RUNNING
YOU SHOULD RUN TOO

———————————
Try number four. So far I can't get this text on a white background
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:22 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Mycall4me wrote:

BOMB SQUAD
IF I AM RUNNING
YOU SHOULD RUN TOO

———————————
Ok, this is try number three. Try number two DID work (sort of) I got my greyed out reply, AND I got the second attempt to show also, but it was another greyed out vox, what I'm attempting is to get my third attemprpt to appear as a regular post (no greyed out box, I want my texted reply to have a white background) So, here goes, wish me luck!
Whoops! Try number three DID work correctly. Now I just need to figure out what I did to get the same result, here in try number five.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:36 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

AAARRRGGHHH!! This is too painful to watch. Here is how quotes work.

To demonstrate the syntax, I will substitute parentheses ( ) for square brackets, because if I used square brackets they would be consumed by the parser.

(quote)This text will appear in a gray box.(/quote)
This text will be shown normally, separated from the quote box by one blank line. You have been enclosing your replies between (quote) (/quote) directives.

(quote="Mycall4me")This text will appear in a gray box, with a 'Mycall4me wrote:' label at the beginning. The double-quotes have to be standard 0x22 double-quotes. If you paste text from an editor that helpfully converts them into UTF open-double-quote and close-double-quote for you, the label will not be shown.(/quote)
Note that one blank line will be automatically inserted after the quote box, but not before it. You have to supply your own blank line before a quote block.

(quote="Groucho")This text will appear in a gray box with 'Groucho wrote:' at the beginning.
(quote="Harpo")This text will appear in a second box inside the Groucho quote, with 'Harpo wrote:' at the beginning.(/quote)
This text will appear after Harpo's quote, but still inside Groucho's quote box.(/quote)
Now the text is back to normal.

Oh, the 'Edit post' and 'Delete post' options only show up when you are logged in. You can click on 'Edit post' to look at the (quote) directives in your posts, and fix them.
———————————
Post by Mycall4me   » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:AAARRRGGHHH!! This is too painful to watch. Here is how quotes work.

To demonstrate the syntax, I will substitute parentheses ( ) for square brackets, because if I used square brackets they would be consumed by the parser.

(quote)This text will appear in a gray box.(/quote)
This text will be shown normally, separated from the quote box by one blank line. You have been enclosing your replies between (quote) (/quote) directives.

(quote="Mycall4me")This text will appear in a gray box, with a 'Mycall4me wrote:' label at the beginning. The double-quotes have to be standard 0x22 double-quotes. If you paste text from an editor that helpfully converts them into UTF open-double-quote and close-double-quote for you, the label will not be shown.(/quote)
Note that one blank line will be automatically inserted after the quote box, but not before it. You have to supply your own blank line before a quote block.

(quote="Groucho")This text will appear in a gray box with 'Groucho wrote:' at the beginning.
(quote="Harpo")This text will appear in a second box inside the Groucho quote, with 'Harpo wrote:' at the beginning.(/quote)
This text will appear after Harpo's quote, but still inside Groucho's quote box.(/quote)
Now the text is back to normal.

Oh, the 'Edit post' and 'Delete post' options only show up when you are logged in. You can click on 'Edit post' to look at the (quote) directives in your posts, and fix 4them.
———————————

Thank you for the detailed information, I'm guessing you saw me trying out your first set of instructions, and flubbing it so many times. I eventually DID figure out the basics, and I think I've got the basic idea down pat. Thanks again for you taking the time to explain everything so completely.

Return to Free-Range Topics...