Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Ringo's Tavern?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Ringo's Tavern?
Post by Mycall4me   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:15 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Ok, firstly, this might be a repeat of something that I think I may have submitted to the wrong place,or in the wrong way, so if you've already seen something like this from me some where else here in the forums, the only thing I can say is "Oh, dopey me!"
So what I wanted to know was how do I find Ringo's Tavern? And what can I do/see once I get there? I've heard about it, of course (in the forums here) but I thought/hoped I might be able to get better/newer info on what's going on with Mr Ringo at his aptly named Ringo's Tavern.
So, at the risk of having sounded like a completely clueless, and uninformed idiot, can anyone kindly point me in the correct direction?
BTW being a registered user here has really been fun so far! It's really neat to be able to get exactly what I'm interested in, and not just hope that someone else is (hopefully) interested in the same thing I am. LOL :lol:
So I just wanted to post a general thanks for everyone who has responded to my posts, and made me feel welcome. THANK YOU
Re: Ringo's Tavern?
Post by Daryl   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:34 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Well, it's there, but it's an empty shell. Three topics, and no posts in any of them. It reports that there are 0 of 2 members online, and even while I'm looking at the page it reports 0 guests online. I guess, I don't even qualify as a guest?

Maybe he's up to his ears in zombies, writing a sequel to Strands Of Sorrow?
———————————
"I didn't go zombie hunting! She just turned, right there in the elevator! What was I supposed to do?"
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:41 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:Well, it's there, but it's an empty shell. Three topics, and no posts in any of them. It reports that there are 0 of 2 members online, and even while I'm looking at the page it reports 0 guests online. I guess, I don't even qualify as a guest?

Maybe he's up to his ears in zombies, writing a sequel to Strands Of Sorrow?
———————————
"I didn't go zombie hunting! She just turned, right there in the elevator! What was I supposed to do?"

His old chat room turned into an empty shell also....
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by WeberFan   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

While I'm not absolutely certain, I'm pretty darned sure that John cleared out the site for two reasons:

1. John was viciously pilloried online by a group of nattering nabobs of negativism who apparently couldn't differentiate between John as a real-life person and the FICTION that John wrote. To say John was "tarred and feathered" would be a gross understatement.
2. Probably related to #1, I recall reading on John's site before he pulled it down that he was being aggressively hacked.

The issue got so bad that John had to recuse himself from being part of ConCarolinas at one point. The issue got SO BAD that even the Mad Wizard himself got involved with a petition: "Ensure Freedom of Speech & Assembly at ConCarolinas" https://www.change.org/p/concarolinas-ensure-freedom-of-speech-assembly-at-concarolinas

Truly an ugly scene...

Too bad. John has written some pretty good stuff - I've got most of it and re-read it all the time (when I'm not re-reading Safehold...)
Post by alphapatch   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:43 pm

alphapatch
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

This is too bad, because Ringo is one of those I liked to keep track of. Now, it is hard to find out about anything he is working on.
Post by Mycall4me   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

I was unaware of John Ringo's travails, but I still don't know why he hasn't done a solo project since Strands of Sorrow in 2014. Sure, he's done collaborations (in fact a new TWO author collaboration has just been released as an e-arc at baen) but for some reason he doesn't seem to be pursuing any solo projects (at least he hasn't released anything yet)
My hope is that now that their communication's snafu has been worked out, and John apparently receiving RFC's approval of his initial chapter (See it at Dribletts of baen) (jiltanith.thefifthimperium.com) he is (hopefully) working on the Empire of Man sequel. I think his collaborative works are eating into his (usually) quick working times on his books. The speed in which he dashes out his books has been remarked upon by Jim Baen, and Larry Correia among others.
If anyone out there has seen anything new (I think there was something released as a preview on Eric Flint's site) (although I haven't actually gotten to it yet) or has any other kind of news updates on John's work, inquiring mind's (like my own) want to know. LOL :lol:
Post by Daryl   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:25 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

https://www.baen.com/river-of-night.html

A NEW NOVEL IN JOHN RINGO'S BEST-SELLING BLACK TIDE RISING SERIES. Sequel to The Valley of Shadows.

Tom Smith used to be somebody. Now he's just another refugee, fleeing the smoking ruins of civilization.

Well, maybe not just another refugee.

Late of the Bank of the Americas where he used to be the global managing director for Security, Tom and his fellow survivors watched New York City burn. His plan to the save New York long enough to find a cure for the zombie virus hadn't survived the bloody scrimmage between angry cops, cunning gangsters, and rapacious City officials.

Now only millions of infected humans, driven mad by the high infectious tailored rabies virus, inhabited the city.

But Tom and some trusted allies were able to stay one step ahead and escaped offshore. Now they're holed up in a safe house in coastal Virginia and it's time to break out.

Between him and his objective, one of the bank's prepared evacuation camps in the Cumberland Valley, are hundreds of miles of clogged roads, burnt-out towns and howling mobs of infected humans who know only hunger. He must corral his motley team, complete with middle-schoolers, to navigate the treacherous landscape.

And yet he feels his odds are good.

But there's always someone smarter. And they like things just the way they are.

Without a fat checkbook and the team of hired spec-ops mercenaries it used to bring, how will Tom Smith fend off entrepreneurial marauders, a brilliant sociopath or two and a kill-count hungry member of the E-4 mafia?

And if he pulls it off, no one is sure how they will they re-start civilization.

But Tom Smith has the spark of an idea.

Published: 7/2/2019
Post by Mycall4me   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Well, sure, I knew about that book, but it was, as I mentioned a COLLABORATION. What I REALLY want is for John to do a book solo. He has a distinctive style that just can't stand out when he's sharing the writing with another author. Unless (of course) he is writing in another's writer's established universe (like his Monster Hunter Memoirs) where, according to John, Larry Correia was only involved with checking John's take on HIS universe, but not really contributing in any substantial way to the story. So, I guess I was (slightly) in error about John doing not doing any solo work since finishing the Black Tide Rising series in 2014, but, still, Monster Hunter's Memoirs, was done 3 years ago in 2016, and there's been zip zero, solo work since then. I'm not trying to say that when John is doing a collaboration that he's not writing, but John has been a VERY prolific author in the past, or when he gets caught up with telling a story. Larry Correia said that he was a little intimidated, and amazed with how QUICKLY John dashed out those two Memoir books. So I'm really wondering/worrying about where John solo efforts are at. Any ideas?
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Somebody should come up with Faith Smith's Rules For Surviving A Zombie Apocalypse the way Mike Massa came up with Cathe Astroga's Rules For A Zombie Apocalypse.

A few examples:

Do not get into an elevator with a potential zombie.
Everybody is a potential zombie.
Everybody is potential zombie chow.
Giving up your weapons is a great way to get eaten by zombies.
A tank is very effective against large mobs of zombies.
There is no such thing as too much ammo in a Zombie Apocalypse.
Even if all you have is a Barbie gun.

Return to Free-Range Topics...