Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

I'm a Bit Directionally Confused...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
I'm a Bit Directionally Confused...
Post by WeberFan   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:59 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

For example:

October Year of God 907.III.HMS Thunderbolt, Lace Passage, Hankey Sound; Warrior Quay, Queen Zhakleen Harbor; and Royal Palace, City of Gorath, Kingdom of Dohlar

"Charis could easily have pressed far more ambitious territorial demands on Dohlar after its withdrawal from the Jihad, but Caleb and Sharleyan had settled for White Rock in the west, Claw Island in the east, and tiny Talisman Island in between."
(Emphasis mine)

But when I look at the master map of Safehold (the one that shows the entire planet as a Mercator projection), I see White Rock in the EAST and Claw Island in the WEST (based on the location of the Great SOUTHERN Ocean which is at the bottom of the map - leading me to conclude that North is "up" so East must be to the right and West to the left).

I've seen similar issues throughout the series (mainly) in the various descriptions of the Gulf of Dohlar...

Am I missing something?
Re: I'm a Bit Directionally Confused...
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:09 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

WeberFan wrote:For example:

October Year of God 907.III.HMS Thunderbolt, Lace Passage, Hankey Sound; Warrior Quay, Queen Zhakleen Harbor; and Royal Palace, City of Gorath, Kingdom of Dohlar

"Charis could easily have pressed far more ambitious territorial demands on Dohlar after its withdrawal from the Jihad, but Caleb and Sharleyan had settled for White Rock in the west, Claw Island in the east, and tiny Talisman Island in between."
(Emphasis mine)

But when I look at the master map of Safehold (the one that shows the entire planet as a Mercator projection), I see White Rock in the EAST and Claw Island in the WEST (based on the location of the Great SOUTHERN Ocean which is at the bottom of the map - leading me to conclude that North is "up" so East must be to the right and West to the left).

I've seen similar issues throughout the series (mainly) in the various descriptions of the Gulf of Dohlar...

Am I missing something?

Yes, you missed the referent points. When looked at from the Imperial borders, Claw Island is closest to the eastern imperial border. White Rock is closest to the western imperial border. Talisman lies between them.

Charisians will see their nations as the center reference and describe the geography of Safehold on that basis.
Re: I'm a Bit Directionally Confused...
Post by saber964   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:53 am

saber964
Admiral

You could also have the RW equivalent of the U.S.Navy Western Pacific deployment from the Western U.S. to the Far East.

Return to Safehold