Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Where's John Ringo?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Where's John Ringo?
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:23 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Ok this is a free range topic. Where did John Ringo disappear to? There hasn't been a solo project from him since Strands of Sorrow. (Black Tide Rising end book)and that was back in 2014! Sure, there have been a few Black Tide Rising anthologies, and collaboration books in that universe but other than that, it's been a big fat NOTHING!

I'm not sure what's the problem that I have when trying to get anything from Ringo's home page, but all I get from my tablet is a blank page, and the only thing I can access on my pc is a bibliography. Since John does have a planned proposal for an Empire of Man sequel, I don't think that this query is totally out of place in this forum. Besides, you all are REALLY knowledgeable people, with access to information resources that I don't have. Is there ANYBODY who might be able to shed some light on my question? Is he, has he, been sick? Does he not have the jones to tackle a new solo project? Anything at all would be appreciated.
Re: Where's John Ringo?
Post by Daryl   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:09 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

John posted River Of Night Snippet 47 (and last as the book was due) on Eric Flint's web page on 3d July. Same universe as Strands of Sorrow, but more detailed and concerning the earlier days of the plague.

Mycall4me wrote:Ok this is a free range topic. Where did John Ringo disappear to? There hasn't been a solo project from him since Strands of Sorrow. (Black Tide Rising end book)and that was back in 2014! Sure, there have been a few Black Tide Rising anthologies, and collaboration books in that universe but other than that, it's been a big fat NOTHING!

I'm not sure what's the problem that I have when trying to get anything from Ringo's home page, but all I get from my tablet is a blank page, and the only thing I can access on my pc is a bibliography. Since John does have a planned proposal for an Empire of Man sequel, I don't think that this query is totally out of place in this forum. Besides, you all are REALLY knowledgeable people, with access to information resources that I don't have. Is there ANYBODY who might be able to shed some light on my question? Is he, has he, been sick? Does he not have the jones to tackle a new solo project? Anything at all would be appreciated.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Maybe he's working on another Kildar book and doesn't want to talk about it.

Oh John Ringo NOOOO!
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:33 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Maybe he's working on another Kildar book and doesn't want to talk about it.

Oh John Ringo NOOOO!

...It's too horrible to even think about such possibility.

Oh John Ringo NOOOO!
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:19 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Hey, I liked the Kildar books. The S&M was a bit off-putting, but the rest was Good Guys (and Gals) kicking asses that richly deserved it.

If he's really writing another one, I'll read it.

Then again, maybe he's off doing Secret Stuff.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Hey, I liked the Kildar books. The S&M was a bit off-putting, but the rest was Good Guys (and Gals) kicking asses that richly deserved it.

It lacks self-irony to became good parody. And too ridiculous to being serious. I strongly suspect that Ringo really started it as a parody (as he claimed), but was unable to hold that way.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Mycall4me   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:56 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Ringo did say (on his facebook page? (and it was a LONG time ago) that there was going to be another Ghost book, but it was going to be with ...someone who really understands the universe. So if there IS a new Ghost book, it is probably going to be another collaboration. I WAS on the baen site today (October 20th) and there IS a book with John Ringo on the cover, but it's ANOTHER collaboration with TWO other writers this time. And it's an entirely new universe. I keep on hoping for a SOLO project. Has his muse gone missing?? I just hope he's working on the Empire of Man sequel.
Post by Mycall4me   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Well, this is a correction about John has not having done a solo project since Strands of Sorrow in 2014. He HAS done the Monster Hunter Memoir's books, and although Larry Correia's name is on the book, he's said that the only thing that he actually did on those books was to check that John's take on his universe was following the Monster Hunter's canon/bible, but he really didn't collaborate or contribute in any substantial way to those 2 books. But, still, those books were from 2016. And don't forget all the lead time involved with publishing a book once it's been submitted, so I don't think I'm that far off base with 2014, so, ok, call it in 2015 that he turned in the Memoir books, he's only done collaborations since then.
I'm not saying that his contributions to those collaborations haven't used up any of that time, but John is a VERY prolific writer, Larry Correia said that he was a little intimidated and amazed by the VERY short time between John talking about doing some work in the Monster Hunter's universe, and then getting not one, but two, books back in a VERY short time frame.
So my point is, is what been happening about John not producing any solo work? In the past there would have been 3 or 4 books since the Memoir books, and there's only been collaborations, and, even there, there's only been 3 of those collaborations.
This is becoming very worrisome, has he lost his muse? Has he had health issues? I know there was some bullying in the public forums from people who had a hard time separating what John does in his books vs his real life (I've heard that they even dragged his wife into their rantings) So, could THAT be the reason for John not doing any solo work? Anybody have any info? :roll: Anything at all? Even any rumors?
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:Hey, I liked the Kildar books. The S&M was a bit off-putting, but the rest was Good Guys (and Gals) kicking asses that richly deserved it.

I THINK i got this right. At least I hope so
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Dilandu wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Maybe he's working on another Kildar book and doesn't want to talk about it.

Oh John Ringo NOOOO!

...It's too horrible to even think about such possibility.

Oh John Ringo NOOOO!
[img]

Well?[/img]

Return to Free-Range Topics...