Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests

MDMs should last a little longer than they do

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: MDMs should last a little longer than they do
Post by Daryl   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:42 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Relativity can give you a headache. I suspect that is why the Honorverse physics seem to have a simplified version. Remarkable how it has endured the last 20 years so well.
A minor bone to chew on. Take a hollow core SD(P), travelling at 0.6 C. One crew member at the tail shines a laser torch up the core from tail to front. What speed is the light traveling at?
I believe that I know the answer, but would appreciate responses.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:33 am

Joat42
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Relativity can give you a headache. I suspect that is why the Honorverse physics seem to have a simplified version. Remarkable how it has endured the last 20 years so well.
A minor bone to chew on. Take a hollow core SD(P), travelling at 0.6 C. One crew member at the tail shines a laser torch up the core from tail to front. What speed is the light traveling at?

The speed of light is constant.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:39 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:Relativity can give you a headache. I suspect that is why the Honorverse physics seem to have a simplified version. Remarkable how it has endured the last 20 years so well.

Speed of light wouldn't change but the light would be noticeably redshifted.

That would have to take some getting used to. On a ship under way the color of the bulkheads would change depending on which direction you were facing!

Guess that would help teach the recruits how to tell port and starboard apart pretty quickly.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:08 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:

Speed of light wouldn't change but the light would be noticeably redshifted.

That would have to take some getting used to. On a ship under way the color of the bulkheads would change depending on which direction you were facing!

Guess that would help teach the recruits how to tell port and starboard apart pretty quickly.

No, it wouldn't, any more than the music in your car sounds different at a red light or at 75 mph / 120 km/h. The emitter is moving with you, so the wave you detect isn't compressed by the Doppler Effect.

If that crew member pointed the torch outside the ship towards a planet, then someone in the planet would see it redshifted (assuming the ship is moving away from the planet, not just turned over to decelerate towards it).
Post by phillies   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:20 am

phillies
Admiral

The speed of light as measured bya local observer is constant.

As measured by a distant stationary observer, general relativity issues arise and life is mroe interesting.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Joat42
Admiral

phillies wrote:The speed of light as measured by a local observer is constant.

As measured by a distant stationary observer, general relativity issues arise and life is more interesting.

It's always constant no matter the frame of reference of the observer, what changes is the perceived energy-state of the light.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:26 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Relativity. It is relative to the observer. On the SD(P) observers would see it as normal light. Assuming the light could be seen from outside the ship, an observer at rest, relative to the ship being at 0.6C in front of it, would see it having a much higher (more energetic) frequency, while one behind would see it red shifted to less energetic. All would see it as at light speed.
Thus bow chaser lasers and grasers would be more destructive if the ship was traveling at relativistic speed, relative to the target.
Post by phillies   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 am

phillies
Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
phillies wrote:The speed of light as measured by a local observer is constant.

As measured by a distant stationary observer, general relativity issues arise and life is more interesting.

It's always constant no matter the frame of reference of the observer, what changes is the perceived energy-state of the light.

Well, no. That's the special relativity statement. The general relativity statement, which was apparent even in the early radar studies of the orbits of Venus and Mercury a half century ago, is that the speed of light as measured by a distant observer depoends on the local gravitational potential at the locations of the observer and the light. This is the "Shapiro Delay".
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

? Gravity getting involved?
How about we go back to the fiction and presume that the same targeting software and updates to the missile in flight takes local gravity and "known" variation into account and adjust's the missile's instructions to allow for it, just like it adjusts for the projected path in the targeting solution for an enemy ship under power and maneuvering?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:47 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:? Gravity getting involved?
How about we go back to the fiction and presume that the same targeting software and updates to the missile in flight takes local gravity and "known" variation into account and adjust's the missile's instructions to allow for it, just like it adjusts for the projected path in the targeting solution for an enemy ship under power and maneuvering?

Of course. If they can calculate sensor images across the highly distorted gravity of the double wedge bands, calculating the gravity well of a measly planet or moon should be a piece of celery.

Return to Honorverse