Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Where were you eighteen years ago on Sept 11th?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Where were you eighteen years ago on Sept 11th?
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I was living in the Denver area and woke up after a late shift (at the local 7-11) to find the on-line news sites talking about the airplanes hitting the World Trade Center.

My first thought was "Internet Hoax" but I soon learned differently.

What I remember most was the panicked gas buying as people thought gas would be "shut off".

Later that evening I was helping out at another 7-11 and somebody had brought in a mini-TV so since it was an otherwise slow evening (that 7-11 didn't have gas pumps) we spent much our time listen to the News.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Re: Where were you eighteen years ago on Sept 11th?
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

I was at work and on the tills when a customer mentioned that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers. It was a short shift for me, so as soon as I got home, I switched on the TV and was shocked to see that a second plane had flown straight into the other tower.
I was still watching the news when the first tower fell, then when the second also fell.

When Bin Laden was finally removed from the world, I raised a (non-alcoholic) glass.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

At home, just back from school, if I recall correctly. My parents have TV on, and I heard about the attack on World Trade Center towers. It was... a very grim feeling for me. Such destruction, such massacre was beyond the level of any previous acts of terror. I was almost horrified, that somewhere in this world existed peoples who could do such things.

And I also recall myself hoping, that after such dreadful acts, US and Russia would became united against common enemy. Yeah, I was naive teen with little understanding of politic at this time, but I seriously thought that USA would send Chechen terrorist leaders (a lot of them resided in Britain then) to stand trial in Russia, and Russia would help USA hunt the Bin Laden.

Naive, of course...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by umbrarchist   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:53 pm

umbrarchist
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I was at home when a friend called and told me to turn on the TV set.

I stood there with my mouth hanging open.
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Here on the West Coast I was at work. No internet at work nor TV... So I work all day without any knowledge of the events of the day. Got home around 6 Pm PST when my wife told me what happened. Since we do not own a TV we went next door to see the evening coverage. WOW...
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

On my way into work. No cell phone but by the time I got to the base gate (5 mile long back up getting on to base for obvious reasons) I knew what the rest of the world knew from the radio in the car.

I spent the next month running a security detail on the Seattle bridges due to concerns about IEDs or explosives being emplaced on the bridge supports.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:06 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

In Australia, I arrived at a medical facility to have a blood sample taken early in the morning. The waiting room TVs all were showing the scenes, but with no sound. I remember getting annoyed at how lax they were showing horror movies while kids weren't yet at school. Discovered the truth from the car radio news on my way to work, which with my being in Defence was timely.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:01 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

In a hotel in Mito Japan on a work trip... watching CNN since it was one of the few English language channels available so saw the breaking news as it cut in.

Ended up on one of the earlier flights allowed back into the US from Narita after my original flight back was cancelled for obvious reasons. Security was nuts.
Post by viciokie   » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 am

viciokie
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:I was living in the Denver area and woke up after a late shift (at the local 7-11) to find the on-line news sites talking about the airplanes hitting the World Trade Center.

My first thought was "Internet Hoax" but I soon learned differently.

What I remember most was the panicked gas buying as people thought gas would be "shut off".

Later that evening I was helping out at another 7-11 and somebody had brought in a mini-TV so since it was an otherwise slow evening (that 7-11 didn't have gas pumps) we spent much our time listen to the News.

waking up feeling horror and dread even before i turned the tv on.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:54 pm

TFLYTSNBN

I live on the West coast of the US.

Woke up to the news of first plane hitting the tower. Talking heads were speculating about an accident. I agreed with them. Continued preparations to take the kids to school.

Then the second plane hits the second tower. I instantly knew that this is far to improbable to be an accident. This is an attack. It took the talking heads half an hour to figure that out.

Started crunching numbers in my head about the fuel capacity of an airliner and energy content. Near nuclear weaponry. I knew that the towers would collapse.

Started crunching numbers on probable occupancy of the towers. (I know a bit about commercial real estate) I estimated up to 50,000 fatalities. Hiroshima level deaths.

Then I started thinking about what offices were in the World Trade Center towers. The US banking system was being targeted.

Then the Pentagon was hit. I realized that the US military being targeted.

The wife an I debated keeping the kids home. Decided to take the kids to school (long drive). However; I packed my HK-91 as well as a pistol. Ruby the Rhodesian Ridgeback stayed home with mom for extra security.

We saw F-15s on patrol for weeks. I learned only recently that one of the Air National Guard pilots was the same judge whose creative interpretation of sentencing guidlines gave my brother's murderer 25 years to life.

Return to Free-Range Topics...