Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Hollywood Hypocrosy

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Hollywood Hypocrosy
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:19 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Re: Hollywood Hypocrosy
Post by Daryl   » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Interesting read.
My beef with Hollywood and guns is how they portray them as ineffective. In the Jurassic park movies various dinosaurs seem to be bullet proof. Even their biggest carnivore would, at about 10 ton, be about the size of the biggest elephant, yet a 20mm can't drop it. Not sure now, but years ago more elephants were shot with 30 cal military rifles than anything else.
In action movies, the baddies empty assault rifle magazines without hitting anyone. I suspect they are trying to say that guns aren't the answer, but to me it comes across as guns aren't dangerous.
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:45 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Fiction is.... fiction.

Wrestle hard with the concept. You'll get it eventually.
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:55 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

I blame the "Concerned Adults" who wish to underplay the aftereffects of violence and the price it claims.

Interesting fact - In the A-Team, only two people were actually shot in all five seasons. BA was shot off-screen, thus there was an episode of him being in a wheelchair with Murdock wheeling him around (after giving him a transfusion as Murdock was the only one with a matching blood type), while the second was the only man who could have cleared the team, who was killed by a sniper shot (you don't see the shot, but there's a bang and he falls down.

Given how many bullets are fired by the Good Guys(TM) and the Villains Of The Week, only one injury and one fatality is incredibly low.

Then there are the Stormtroopers from Star Wars and the jokes about the Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy, yet if you watch the opening battle on the Tantive IV, the on-screen kill ratio is very much in favor of the Stormtroopers. Sure, the Death Star Chase scenes have them missing the heroes, but the Tarkin/Vader conversation afterwards makes it clear that they were ordered to miss and allow the heroes to escape (thus giving the location of the Rebel Base), so were probably seeing just how close they could miss their targets.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Interesting read.
My beef with Hollywood and guns is how they portray them as ineffective. In the Jurassic park movies various dinosaurs seem to be bullet proof. Even their biggest carnivore would, at about 10 ton, be about the size of the biggest elephant, yet a 20mm can't drop it. Not sure now, but years ago more elephants were shot with 30 cal military rifles than anything else.

Well, this is a common trend. For example, the average war movies generally show warfare as light infantry actions, where artillery is used basically only for pyrotechnical effects, and tanks are lumbering, blind monsters, easy to defeat with some pluck & hand grenades. The video games just support that position.

Of course, the problem is that the "technical" troops, like artillery, are de-personified. It's easy to show courage & awesomeness for infantryman on front; but how to show that for howitzer crew, which mostly did not even see the enemy they engaged? And the true power of tanks are equally hard to demonstrate correctly, because it's hard to show the utter terror of men in trenches caught under armor attack. The public would be rather... puzzled by the movie hero, who is recharging his bazooka with trembling hands, quickly fire without carefully aiming & diving back in trench to avoid hail of machinegun fire. Oh, and his grenade hit under steep angle (because he have only a few seconds to find target & aim), and so it didn't penetrate. And it's equally hard to correctly demonstrate, how durable tank could be, receiving numerous bazooka shots & continuing to roam forward, just because nothing vital was hit.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)

Return to Politics