Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

***Major Spoiler*** The ending scene of Through Fiery Trials

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: ***Major Spoiler*** The ending scene of Through Fiery Tr
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:04 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:
But what if Schuler had a Duchairn moment simply because Cody Cortazar came to him and showed that he remembered ... to Schueler's complete horror, because that meant his child/grandchild might also remember?

Doubt that. Cody Cortazar was able to remember anything only because his memory was meddled with when he was transformed into a Seijin. Without such tampering, it would not be possible.

Quite right. It wouldn't be possible without such tampering.

:twisted:
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Julia Minor wrote:
WeberFan wrote:
Or maybe there's another group that we just haven't been introduced to yet.

And maybe, just maybe, this fifth column has access to a limited tech base of Federation Tech.

Back when Paityr was inducted into the IC, he mentioned that his father and uncle were afraid someone outside the Wylsynn family not only knew the Stone was still in existence, but knew about the Key. That might have just been paranoia, but it could also be an early hint of an additional player in the game.

I've wondered about that too... nothing seemed to come of it at all, so I keep on waiting to see if it was a clue!
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:12 am

Dilandu
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
I've wondered about that too... nothing seemed to come of it at all, so I keep on waiting to see if it was a clue!

Well, we also knew about someone besides commodore Pei who knew about Nimue's cave, and who was invited to Langhorne's last meeting...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:11 pm

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Dilandu wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:

Well, we also knew about someone besides commodore Pei who knew about Nimue's cave, and who was invited to Langhorne's last meeting...

This is probably the biggest straw in the wind for me. I’ve been wondering about that from the 1st book...
Post by WeberFan   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dilandu wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:

Don't remember this... Textev???
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

WeberFan wrote:Don't remember this... Textev???

Of course:

"This is the final message, the last file, which will be loaded to your depot computer. Besides myself, only one other person knows of your existence , and he and I have an appointment with Administrator Langhorne and the Administrative Council tomorrow evening.I don't know if it will do any good, but Langhorne, Bédard, and their toadies are about to discover that they aren't the only people with a little undisclosed military hardware in reserve. There won't be any survivors. It won't bring back Shan-wei, or any of the rest of my—our—friends, but at least I'll take a little personal satisfaction out of it."

Though I was slightly wrong: only one other person knew about Nimue existence, not Nimue cave. Still, this means that someone else existed - someone presumably not from doctor Pei crew - who knew about Nimue PICA.

P.S. I knew, it is tempting to assume that it was Schueller, but it actually may be the Chihiro. The idea of "archangel's return" - clearly not Langhorne's - may actually be inspired by his knowledge about Nimue existence.

Post by Dilandu   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Actually an... interesting possibility. What if the concept of Archangel's return was directly inspired by the knowledge of Nimue's existence? Basically Chihiro and Shueller knew, that time bomb under their scheme is set, but they do not actually knew WHERE. So, after trying & failing to deduce where exactly doctor Pei might hide Nimue's PICA, they settled on returning (somehow) after 1000 years, to check the situation.

This may also explain, why they put so much efforts into the Temple; they wanted to have the operational base to act against possible rogue PICA running around with Federation-level tech.

Post by PeterZ   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:37 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I was thinking along similar lines.

I don't think both Chihiro and Scheduler knew. If they did know, they would have produced another PICA to manage that threat. Even limited to the 10 window, the super seijin would have been the CoGA's trouble shooter. That doid not happen and suggests only one person knew about Nimue and that person did not want to counter Nimue's goal.

Which brings us back to the Visitation, Khody, Scheduler and the SSK. Schueler was the guy the Commodore told and he was not obviously in the Pei camp. He began his 5th column work from within the Temple. He established the Wylsyns as the obvious internal check/balance to keep the Vicarate as honest as possible and gave the Key and the Stone of Scheuler as tools. He used Khody's discovery of the secret as a means to build the SSK as the second arrow in his quiver. That second arrow was to ensure his Visitation happened at a time after Nimue was to have awakened and begun her work.

Whatever disruption Nimue caused could be referred to in his message. The Testimony of Scheuler would under cut the Writ in such a way that would allow Nimue some freedom of action. Unfortunately, Khody also warned Chihiro that the demons managed to get the truth out and that truth might survive in some way. So Chihiro also plans to Return. Not sure when that will be.

That passage you cite strongly suggests to me that the Visitation was not the Nahrmahn plan.
Dilandu wrote:Actually an... interesting possibility. What if the concept of Archangel's return was directly inspired by the knowledge of Nimue's existence? Basically Chihiro and Shueller knew, that time bomb under their scheme is set, but they do not actually knew WHERE. So, after trying & failing to deduce where exactly doctor Pei might hide Nimue's PICA, they settled on returning (somehow) after 1000 years, to check the situation.

This may also explain, why they put so much efforts into the Temple; they wanted to have the operational base to act against possible rogue PICA running around with Federation-level tech.
Post by ssl4000g   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 pm

ssl4000g
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

"This is the final message, the last file, which will be loaded to your depot computer. Besides myself, only one other person knows of your existence , and he and I have an appointment with Administrator Langhorne and the Administrative Council tomorrow evening.I don't know if it will do any good, but Langhorne, Bédard, and their toadies are about to discover that they aren't the only people with a little undisclosed military hardware in reserve. There won't be any survivors. It won't bring back Shan-wei, or any of the rest of my—our—friends, but at least I'll take a little personal satisfaction out of it."

If I am reading the textev correctly, it's saying that the last file that was uploaded by Pei to Nimue's computer/Owl?...has the name of the other person who went with Pei? Whoever it was went out with Pei.

W
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ssl4000g wrote:
If I am reading the textev correctly, it's saying that the last file that was uploaded by Pei to Nimue's computer/Owl?...has the name of the other person who went with Pei? Whoever it was went out with Pei.

W

Right after the bolded section is the tricky part. The two had an appointment. Was it kept by both people or just Pei? We don't know.

Return to Safehold