Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 113 guests

Implied, but never directly stated, so is it canon?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Implied, but never directly stated, so is it canon?
Post by CaptainPerseus   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 pm

CaptainPerseus
Ensign

The Star Kingdom novels established the friendship between Stephanie Harrington and Karl Zivonik, but my understanding from reading other entries in the Honorverse that RFC has implied at least once that they ended up married. But he never directly states it. The closest I believe he comes is in The Best Laid Plans in Beginnings with a mention of "Great-Great-Great-Great-Whatever-Granddad Karl" while hinting at a marriage between the characters in other novels by mentioning still other character's familial connection to Honor through the Zivoniks.

So, there's a lot of hints that imply or infer the marriage happened, but it has never been directly mentioned, probably to keep open possibly storylines. My question is can we infer than that the marriage is canon or is it non-canon until it's directly mentioned?
Re: Implied, but never directly stated, so is it canon?
Post by kzt   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:30 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

CaptainPerseus wrote:My question is can we infer than that the marriage is canon or is it non-canon until it's directly mentioned?

No matter how logical it is, unless it is stated in the text it isn't canon. I can think of an example where what seems like an obvious implication just isn't so. There isn't a better explanation provided, it just isn't how it is because it undermines a stated principle of the universe.

Even if David has written commentary on a topic it isn't really canon. Though that is certainly a better basis than implications.

That said, I'll bet you are right.

Return to Honorverse