Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Nuclear Powered Missile?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Nuclear Powered Missile?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:17 pm

TFLYTSNBN

I just read this:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/11 ... orld-war-3

Most would presume that this was a nuclear ARMED missile.
However; the radioactivity of bomb grade Plutonium much less Uranium would not cause a significant increase in rsdiation levels.

My guess is that this was a nuclear powered cruise missile that had failed in operation releasing highly radiosctive, short lived fission products,
Re: Nuclear Powered Missile?
Post by Joat42   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Joat42
Admiral

It's more likely it contained a radioisotope thermoelectric generator but until someone else can measure what kind of isotopes where released we are in the dark.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Dilandu   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Being a bit close to the actual events (no in Severodvynks, of course, but Moscow is quite close than USA... :D ), I think that the cause may be the cheap Chinese Geiger counters...

Version about missile destruction in flight did not connect well with the casualties. At least two dead & about 16 injured.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Joat42   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:Being a bit close to the actual events (no in Severodvynks, of course, but Moscow is quite close than USA... :D ), I think that the cause may be the cheap Chinese Geiger counters...

Version about missile destruction in flight did not connect well with the casualties. At least two dead & about 16 injured.

Yeah, explosions in mid-flight tends not to produce many victims.

---

Post by Dilandu   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:10 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
Dilandu wrote:Being a bit close to the actual events (no in Severodvynks, of course, but Moscow is quite close than USA... :D ), I think that the cause may be the cheap Chinese Geiger counters...

The official version currently - that liquid-fuel missile failed during land testing, which led to the release of sone radioactive materials from onboard isotope generators.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:40 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Dilandu wrote:
Joat42 wrote:

The official version currently - that liquid-fuel missile failed during land testing, which led to the release of sone radioactive materials from onboard isotope generators.

It does not make sense to build a missile that is both chemical fueled and has radioactive isotope generator. A radioisotope heat generator has low power density and is always producing heat.

The US experimented with nuclear fission reactor powered aircraft and missiles back in the 1960s. They worked but were expensive and dangerous.

Perhaps Russia is developing nuclear Isomere powered missile? Nuclear isomere generator exploits the difference in energy states of the isomeres certain radioactive isoptopes. This is potentially throtable and rechargable using X-ray pumping. This is considered theoretically possible in the US but in open sources it is not known if practical.

The most likely accident scenario would be during the X-ray pumping.

I would love to see an analysis of the isotopes in the fallout.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:08 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I just read this:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/11 ... orld-war-3

Most would presume that this was a nuclear ARMED missile.
However; the radioactivity of bomb grade Plutonium much less Uranium would not cause a significant increase in rsdiation levels.

My guess is that this was a nuclear powered cruise missile that had failed in operation releasing highly radiosctive, short lived fission products,

BTW I really, really would not rely on the Express as a source of information!!!

its quite good as a cheap toilet paper tho :-)
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Joat42
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:..snip..
BTW I really, really would not rely on the Express as a source of information!!!

No, the ink smears... 8-)

---

Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:..snip..

No, the ink smears... 8-)

Haha - thanks for that - needed a laugh! :-)

perhaps I should have added 'in a dire emergency'
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Given the reliance on British Newspapers by many of the posters, I believe that this quote from "Yes, Prime Minister" will help to put things in perspective (albeit somewhat dated).
The quote is a conversation between (fictional) Prime Minister Bernard Hacker and his Undersecretary/keeper, Sir Humphrey from the Civil Service.
Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; the Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Amusingly, at the time of broadcast, the real-life Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher.

A more up-to-date interpretation may be found here.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Free-Range Topics...