Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Into the Light Snippet #14 (nitpicker!)

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Into the Light Snippet #14 (nitpicker!)
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:35 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

DrakBibliophile wrote:And there was a major clue when Mircea Basarab managed to take Stephen Buchevsky by surprise in his first appearance.

I mean, what kind of person could sneak up on a Marine in "full battle mode"? :twisted:

Bluesqueak wrote:Though as soon as Stephen Buchevsky's group of refugees stepped into Romania, readers had a whopping great clue that vampires were going to turn up. It's almost a subset of Chekhov's Gun - if an English language SF or fantasy book has a Romanian setting in Act One, vampires will have appeared by Act Three.

The SF vampires will have a technobabble explanation and the fantasy vampires will be, well, vampires. But they will turn up.

Noticed that, did you, Drak? :lol: :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Joat42
Admiral

And the only thing I can think of re-reading that part is the bug crawling on Buchevsky.. :o

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:49 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
And, yes, the fact that I invoked Fred's nme in the introduction was intended as a signal that this wasn't going to be what it might look like on the surface. :twisted:
Randomiser wrote:
And yet, after all this time, this is the first I've ever seen the dedication mentioned in the forum.

mutter, mutter, blindsided us all, again, mutter, mutter :lol: :oops: :lol:

A couple of years after War of Honor and Lady "Elaine" North Hollow stuck her tongue out at her reflection in the mirror, I tend to over-analyze ANY text RFC writes.

ooooo - can you explain that one a bit more?
Post by drothgery   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:06 pm

drothgery
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:ooooo - can you explain that one a bit more?

Since the book is 17 years old at this point...

It had not been mentioned in the text at that point that she was a former genetic slave. It had been mentioned that Manpower put slaves' serial numbers on their tongue (in such a way that they grow back normally; getting it removed required expensive surgery).
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:15 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:

It had not been mentioned in the text at that point that she was a former genetic slave. It had been mentioned that Manpower put slaves' serial numbers on their tongue (in such a way that they grow back normally; getting it removed required expensive surgery).

Yup. I still marvel at RFC's skill with that bit of foreshadowing. RFC also had Ballroom assassins routinely stick out their tongue at their Manpower victims before killing them. And still I missed Elaine's gesture after 2 re-reads.
Post by FriarBob   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:19 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Yup. I still marvel at RFC's skill with that bit of foreshadowing. RFC also had Ballroom assassins routinely stick out their tongue at their Manpower victims before killing them. And still I missed Elaine's gesture after 2 re-reads.

If there is anyone who didn't I'm not aware of who they are. I mean it was obvious she was sticking her tongue out for a reason but I too had no clue what that reason was. I just assumed she was making a face at the mirror for some wacko reason. And we did already know she wasn't entirely right in the head. Unfortunately, that was where my logic train stopped. Must have run out of steam or something.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:59 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

drothgery wrote:

ahhh - of course. :-)

Like the others I had assumed it was some sort of random reason or maybe a refereence to some other book/film that I had missed.

Return to Out of the Dark