Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests

New Books

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: New Books
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

EdThomas wrote:
Valkyrie Protocol, #2 w/JHolo, snippets have started[/quote]
I've been away for a while. Where, please?[/quote]
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10181
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:20 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dilandu wrote:
SilverbladeTE wrote:Sterling E lanier's "Hiero's Journey" being a huge fave as a youngster that's left without an end due to his death

Oh, I loved this two books also as a teen... It was interestingly popular in 90s Russia. In 2002-2004 some Russian writers even published a "World of Hiero Desteen" book series, with about 29 titles (mostly under English pseudonyms, because at this time our readers were much more interested in Western fiction). It was basically a large fanfiction collection, made more or less coherent and published officially.

P.S. As a personal example of series not finished - "The Lost Regiment" by William R. Forstchen. While author is alive and well, he lost interest in series and left it unfinished for almost 20 years by now.

Alas I couldn't find the fan fics my GoogleFu sucks :p
Hiero's saga is a truly amazing tale and had big part inspiring Dungeons and & Dragons!

Yeah the Lost Regiment is alas another classic that's left to dust :(
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:28 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Another awesome series who's author's death was tragedy, are the "Sipstrassi" novels by David Gemmell

"Wolf in Shadow" and its 2 follow ups are again, a true classic and I find John Shannow a far more interesting protagonist than Stephen King' "Roland the gunslinger"
Shannow is a ruthless S.O.B. but...he has his reasons and gets things done, even if it's tragic

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/174 ... _in_Shadow
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

SilverbladeTE wrote:
Dauntless wrote:agreed. much a i'm interested to see what merlin & co do next Bazhell and friends have been left waiting a lot longer

Oath of Swords was the first novel by RFC I ever read :)
Yes I'd like more of that series, but...Safehold needs completed, it's a true epic and much deeper than Honorverse IMHO

seen too many great series left hanging by author's death sigh
Sterling E lanier's "Hiero's Journey" being a huge fave as a youngster that's left without an end due to his death :cry:

We're all getting older, many of us have health problems and would like some answers afore we kick the bucket :p

I had totally forgotten Hiero, thanks for the reminder. The 2 series I wish the author had finished are the Kalvin series by H. Beam Piper and Janisaries by Jerry Pournelle, especially since Dr. Pournelle was promising and working on finishing it up for years.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by shayvaan   » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:09 pm

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

EdThomas wrote:
Valkyrie Protocol, #2 w/JHolo, snippets have started[/quote]

I believe he is actually referring to The Gordian Protocol.
You can find it in its own forum of the same name.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

shayvaan wrote:
EdThomas wrote:
Valkyrie Protocol, #2 w/JHolo, snippets have started

I believe he is actually referring to The Gordian Protocol.
You can find it in its own forum of the same name.[/quote]

Valkyrie Protocol is the 2nd book in the Gordian Protocol series - it is snippeting now in the Gordian Protocol forum.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by dobriennm   » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:45 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Keith_w wrote:The 2 series I wish the author had finished are the Kalvin series by H. Beam Piper and Janisaries by Jerry Pournelle, especially since Dr. Pournelle was promising and working on finishing it up for years.

At Westercon, David indicated and Toni confirmed that he had just finished up the last book in the Janisaries based on collaboration with Jerry Pournelle's son (he mentioned the name, but I've forgotten), a partly(mainly?) finished manuscript and notes from Jerry.

Toni didn't say when it would be out, but hopefully soon!! :D :D :D :D
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

dobriennm wrote:
Keith_w wrote:The 2 series I wish the author had finished are the Kalvin series by H. Beam Piper and Janisaries by Jerry Pournelle, especially since Dr. Pournelle was promising and working on finishing it up for years.

At Westercon, David indicated and Toni confirmed that he had just finished up the last book in the Janisaries based on collaboration with Jerry Pournelle's son (he mentioned the name, but I've forgotten), a partly(mainly?) finished manuscript and notes from Jerry.

Jerry's son is Philip. This was the project that had to be turned in by the end of June - mentioned in another thread.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by phillies   » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:51 pm

phillies
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
SilverbladeTE wrote:Sterling E lanier's "Hiero's Journey" being a huge fave as a youngster that's left without an end due to his death

Oh, I loved this two books also as a teen... It was interestingly popular in 90s Russia. In 2002-2004 some Russian writers even published a "World of Hiero Desteen" book series, with about 29 titles (mostly under English pseudonyms, because at this time our readers were much more interested in Western fiction). It was basically a large fanfiction collection, made more or less coherent and published officially.

P.S. As a personal example of series not finished - "The Lost Regiment" by William R. Forstchen. While author is alive and well, he lost interest in series and left it unfinished for almost 20 years by now.

It seemed to me that The Lost Regiment had come to an intelligent ending.
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 am

Keith_w
Commodore

dobriennm wrote:

Thanks for this info. I will keep an eye out for the book.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold