Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Fire, Fire, Fire!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Fire, Fire, Fire!
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:52 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Re: Fire, Fire, Fire!
Post by Daryl   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:40 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The point is made yet again. There are many ways to kill people.
Guns are the most efficient in small scales, otherwise armies would use something else.
As a university chemistry student in 1970 I had to write a paper on potential unethical uses of our knowledge. Still have it somewhere, but it had as an example an exact description of the Oklahoma bombing that came decades later. Take a large pantechnicon truck, fill it with activated ammonium nitrate (freely bought as fertiliser by the ton then), set up a timer and a detonator (I suggested a broken light bulb in a container of nitro cellulose rifle ammunition material), park it next to a building full of people, and walk away.
Much easier to destroy than create. But guns are easy for the dumb to use.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:https://www.apnews.com/b10907eaf37945889d9ee4339df92aaa
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 am

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:The point is made yet again. There are many ways to kill people.
Guns are the most efficient in small scales, otherwise armies would use something else.
As a university chemistry student in 1970 I had to write a paper on potential unethical uses of our knowledge. Still have it somewhere, but it had as an example an exact description of the Oklahoma bombing that came decades later. Take a large pantechnicon truck, fill it with activated ammonium nitrate (freely bought as fertiliser by the ton then), set up a timer and a detonator (I suggested a broken light bulb in a container of nitro cellulose rifle ammunition material), park it next to a building full of people, and walk away.
Much easier to destroy than create. But guns are easy for the dumb to use.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:https://www.apnews.com/b10907eaf37945889d9ee4339df92aaa

So is gasoline.

From news reports, it appears that this perpetrator was knowledgeable enough to spray the flameable liquid to create an explosive aerosol or at least a flameable atmosphere with a very high flame proportion velocity.

If you believe that the perps of the OKC bombing were able to achieve a high enough deflagration velocity to take down that building using ANFO contained in plastic barrels, I have some bridge realestate in Brooklyn that I want to sell you.

I have actually had a community attempt to frame me for arson to enable civil forefeiture of property that was coveted for a park. A security guard for the local parks district decided to torch some abandoned houses on property adjacent to mine then tried to be the hero that implicated TFLYTSNBN as the arsonist. He reasonably assumed that he would be rewarded with a job as a real cop. I actually had a parks district official threaten me with a lawsuit even after their guard had agreed to plead guilty.

Three months later I discovered my tenant's bootleg marijunna grow.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Welcome to the latest episode in our continuing series, "TFLY tells people there are ways to die that don't involve guns, as if we didn't all know this already... under the delusion he is making some kind of profound point".

(Yes, the title needs work. Blame the writer. He's horrible.)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

I greatly enjoyed many of the works produced by Kyoto Animation, such as A Silent Voice, Full Metal Panic!, Amagi Brilliant Park, Beyond The Boundary, The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzimiya, and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions. I would hope the people could be remembered for their accomplishments, rather than for this atrocity.

I had hoped nobody would try to use this tragedy to make political statements, but I suppose it was as inevitable as the flocks of leftist vultures that exploit every shooting to tear down the Second Amendment.

I hope that fuckhead dies for murdering 34 innocent people.

Daryl wrote:But guns are easy for the dumb to use.

Guns give the weak a chance against the strong and violent. Bullies and thugs don’t need guns nearly as much as their victims do.
———————————
Count Vordarian: “You’re a Betan! You can’t do—“
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:38 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Daryl wrote:But guns are easy for the dumb to use.

Guns give the weak a chance against the strong and violent. Bullies and thugs don’t need guns nearly as much as their victims do.

It astonishes me this ridiculous myth of guns as the great equalizer between the weak and the strong still persists.

The "strong and the violent" "bullies and thugs" are far more likely to acquire and use guns against the weak than the other way around because that's what naturally appeals to the type. So when you make guns widely available to the general population guess who loads up on them the most? And has the initiative when they are used because they know when they're planning on starting something? Or uses them as a weapon to terrorize others?

Yes, it is POSSIBLE for a weak person to use a gun to overcome a strong person. But it is just as possible for a strong person to use a gun to terrorize and kill a weak person with far more ease and effectiveness than they would have otherwise had. And guess which group is more psychologically disposed to use them?
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:24 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

We have passed more than 22,000 laws to prevent bullies and thugs from using guns against others. All of them have failed. Why do some people persist in their idiotic belief that the 22,001st law will suddenly, magically make it all better?

Bullies and thugs have been around for thousands of years. They terrorized people long before guns even existed. Today, they are the one group that CAN'T be disarmed. THEY DO NOT OBEY LAWS.

We are left with a choice: allow the rest of us to have the only effective means of fighting back, or not.
———————————
I used to live on a farm. I know what bullshit smells like.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:43 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:We have passed more than 22,000 laws to prevent bullies and thugs from using guns against others. All of them have failed. Why do some people persist in their idiotic belief that the 22,001st law will suddenly, magically make it all better?

Bullies and thugs have been around for thousands of years. They terrorized people long before guns even existed. Today, they are the one group that CAN'T be disarmed.

Bull. Shit.

Tell it to every other civilized country on the planet.Can they be 100% disarmed? Nope. Can they be SIGNIFICANTLY disarmed? You're goddamn right they can be.

THEY DO NOT OBEY LAWS.

Murders DO NOT OBEY LAWS! We should get rid of those laws against murder they're useless!

Thieves DO NOT OBEY LAWS! We should get rid of those laws against theft, they're useless!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

So your 'solution' is to take guns away, not from the thugs, but from everybody else.

You are still as full of shit as ever.

The proof is there for anyone with the brains to understand it, and the integrity to admit it. Wherever leftist governments have denied guns to innocent people — in Chicago, Baltimore, New York, Detroit and a dozen other Democrat-controlled cities — crime, violence and murder are several times higher than the national average. In other places such as Houston and Salt Lake City where ordinary people own a lot of guns, crime and violence are much, much lower.

You can project your own fears onto the world, but you can’t make the world conform to them.
———————————
If you try to solve a problem, and make it worse, applying even more of the same 'solution' is not going to make it better.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:05 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:So your 'solution' is to take guns away, not from the thugs, but from everybody else.

No, "taking guns away from everyone but thus" is your ridiculous distortion of what sane gun control actually does.

I refer you, ONCE AGAIN, to the rest of the civilized world.

The proof is there for anyone with the brains to understand it, and the integrity to admit it. Wherever leftist governments have denied guns to innocent people — in Chicago, Baltimore, New York,

YOU CANNOT IMPLEMENT GUN CONTROL ON A CITY BY CITY BASIS.

We have been over this again and again and again and again in these idiotic threads. Cities do not have border control. There is ZERO ability to keep guns out of a city when a city 50 or 100 miles away allows their ridiculousness unrestricted sale and there are no travel barriers between the two locations.

Those cities try to implement gun restrictions in a desperate bid to combat those high gun crime rates, not as a cause of them. But their efforts are largely futile because cities don't have the tools to make those restrictions actually work.

Return to Politics