Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

USA is number 1, again

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: USA is number 1, again
Post by Daryl   » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Years ago a commentator on here called Namelessfly was banned for sexist comments and abusing others on the forums. I interceeded on his behalf, and he was reinstated.
Within a month he attacked me, saying that not only I but my entire family and hopefully my country should be enslaved, raped and exterminated. That earned an instant blocking at the time.
I do wish that a certain person would understand that frank discussion on some aspects of any society isn't a personal attack, that has to be countered. As an Australian I accept that we as travellers have a reputation for hard drinking and not tipping, even though we aren't all like that.
I still remember an "ugly murikan" woman on a canal boat in Amsterdam, telling us all loudly that the cobblestoned streets were a fraud for the tourists, as horses couldn't have used them. Thus they were recent devlopments to add colour.
Another was the loud Hawaiian shirted fat guy at Dover Castle UK telling us all that the Pharos wasn't a light house but a fort, "As I know forts, being a murikan". So everyone else has been wrong for 2,000 years.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 am

TFLYTSNBN

Donnachaidh wrote:You're right, I didn't spell it the same as him. I'd argue you're just being pedantic though.

It is not a distinction without a difference. There is very much a different connotation that is well understood but you're choosing to ignore.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:He actually used the word "murikan," which of course is a destinction without a difference.

It's interesting that you equate criticism of the sexist (your rampant slimy comments about women are sexist as are the multiple comments criticizing Hillary Clinton for Bill Clinton's adultery) comments and xenophobic (saying "go fix your own country" to immigrants -and especially to naturalized US citizens- is xenophobic) comments you've made with criticism conservatives.

As far as commenting on other countries, if you want to participate in those discussions, there is nothing stopping you. Considering the amount of influence US politics has on the world (see the Iran nuclear deal for an example), it is entirely reasonable to say that people in other countries have a vested interest in US politics.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:What is on display here is your prejudice and bigotry as well as his, not mine.

For proof go through the Politics board and count all of the threads that start out critical of the US or President Trump that were started by people in other countries then count all of the threads started by myself and other Americans that were critical of other countries. Except for my recent flurry of threads that are so obviously intended to satirize as well as refute the "guns cause crime and murder" mantra, you will not find any.

You do realize that if discussions like this really bothered our host threads would be closed and/or users would be banned?

Also American =/= Conservative.

I am not choosing to ignore the alleged difference in connotation. I presume by your comments that one is more perjorative than the other? Google is uninformative. Obviously it is a foreigner thing.

Thanks to President Trump's ongoing reversion into neoisolationism, America's internal politics will become less of a concern to foreigners. Trump is folding up the nuclear umbrella that you like to bitch about and going home. You will become too busy fending for yourselves to worry about US internal politics.

The situation with Iran is far more complicated than you realize. America will not be a participant in The (Next) Persian Gulf War but it will serve America's interest. Big hint are, "China" and "Harrington Doctrine."
Post by Donnachaidh   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Nope, I have lived in the USA my entire life and all but the first few years in the same state as you.

It grew out of referencing the satirically over the top patriotism in Team America World Police (specifically this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk).

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Obviously it is a foreigner thing.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Donnachaidh wrote:Nope, I have lived in the USA my entire life and all but the first few years in the same state as you.

It grew out of referencing the satirically over the top patriotism in Team America World Police (specifically this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk).

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Obviously it is a foreigner thing.

I never saw that movie.
I hear that it is funny.

Return to Free-Range Topics...