Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Lightning-strike..

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Lightning-strike..
Post by Joat42   » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Joat42
Admiral

So, had a lightning-strike last weekend that more or less fried every piece of electronics and appliance I had. The electric cook-stove emerged unscathed though, and my old alarm clock from the 90's which seem to be indestructible.

I got 4 of 5 disks in my RAID-NAS working so I could copy 20TB of backups and other assorted things to a new NAS.

Currently I think the bill comes to about $12000 in equipment (and $200 in food), luckily I got good insurance which covers all the costs.

Only one other resident in my apartment complex also got lightning damage - everyone else no damage at all. :roll: But I guess that's on par for lightning damage - very unpredictable.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Re: Lightning-strike..
Post by Fireflair   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:24 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

You are fortunate to have good insurance. Lightning strikes can do screwy things, that is certain. That 5th disk on your NAS might be recoverable still, even if the controller is fried, just something to look into if the data is important.

Anecdotally, my ex-wife moved her van during a rain storm from way out in the parking lot to up close to the store so the kids didn't have to walk as far in the pouring rain. Unfortunately she parked right next to a metal light pole. Lightning struck the pole while she was sitting in the mini-van. The van died on the spot and she couldn't get it to restart.

The repair shop, after the van was towed in, said virtually every part of the van's computers and electronics was damaged in some fashion. The van was only 3 years old and paid off, valued at almost $20k. Insurance cut her a check.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:45 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

A report today blames a lightening strike to the fire that destroyed 45,000 barrels of Jim Beam.
Fireflair wrote:You are fortunate to have good insurance. Lightning strikes can do screwy things, that is certain. That 5th disk on your NAS might be recoverable still, even if the controller is fried, just something to look into if the data is important.

Anecdotally, my ex-wife moved her van during a rain storm from way out in the parking lot to up close to the store so the kids didn't have to walk as far in the pouring rain. Unfortunately she parked right next to a metal light pole. Lightning struck the pole while she was sitting in the mini-van. The van died on the spot and she couldn't get it to restart.

The repair shop, after the van was towed in, said virtually every part of the van's computers and electronics was damaged in some fashion. The van was only 3 years old and paid off, valued at almost $20k. Insurance cut her a check.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 am

Joat42
Admiral

Daryl wrote:A report today blames a lightening strike to the fire that destroyed 45,000 barrels of Jim Beam.

You sure it was lightning and not just someone who saw a spider? :D

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Fireflair   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:17 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I saw the news about the whiskey, it made me so sad. I live near there.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:03 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:A report today blames a lightening strike to the fire that destroyed 45,000 barrels of Jim Beam.
Fireflair wrote:You are fortunate to have good insurance. Lightning strikes can do screwy things, that is certain. That 5th disk on your NAS might be recoverable still, even if the controller is fried, just something to look into if the data is important.

This truly is tragic.

Return to Free-Range Topics...