Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Idle Questions From Reading the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Idle Questions From Reading the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
roseandheather wrote:God, I love it when RFC comes along and more or less confirms my pet theories. It's so validating. :mrgreen:

Everyone who has been paying attention over the books has certain crazy ideas that turn out to be right. And their pet hobby horses they keep pulling out to ride. ;)

You got it all wrong.

Hobby horses are inanimate. You can't ride an inanimate horse. He's dead. You beat a dead horse. You pull him out so you can beat him some more.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Cartref   » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Cartref wrote:There could be another reason, not specifically covered by runsforcelery, and that could be simply that both Yu & Caslet are both extremely honourable men and only defected after considerable soul searching and much heartache.

Would that honour prevent them from renouncing their Grason citizenship with all its like backlash from the antagonistic Grayson Steadholders.

Plus what reason could they give to Grayson for do this, they are both well treated and highly respected in Grayson

Wives of their own on Grayson might make them feel really content. I always hoped the author would have a word with Cupid on their behalf. Defectors away from their homes and family "stranded" on an entirely new planet without love in their lives has to have its downsides. A wife -- or three -- and family, would go a long way to make them feel at home and really allow them to heal. In fact, they could find love right from Honor's Steading.

:lol:
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Cartref wrote:There could be another reason, not specifically covered by runsforcelery, and that could be simply that both Yu & Caslet are both extremely honourable men and only defected after considerable soul searching and much heartache.

Would that honour prevent them from renouncing their Grason citizenship with all its like backlash from the antagonistic Grayson Steadholders.

Plus what reason could they give to Grayson for do this, they are both well treated and highly respected in Grayson

Wives of their own on Grayson might make them feel really content. I always hoped the author would have a word with Cupid on their behalf. Defectors away from their homes and family "stranded" on an entirely new planet without love in their lives has to have its downsides. A wife -- or three -- and family, would go a long way to make them feel at home and really allow them to heal. In fact, they could find love right from Honor's Steading.

Cartref wrote: :lol:

Is your laughter an indication you feel certain the nagging from several or more wives will make any infidel off-worlder want to un-defect? LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
Given their status, they might have 28 wives, each.

To paraphrase the late Alan Whicker when interviewing a Mormon Polygamist; 'You've got twenty eight wives. That means twenty eight mothers in law. Isn't that a bit of a problem?'
Post by kzt   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:To paraphrase the late Alan Whicker when interviewing a Mormon Polygamist; 'You've got twenty eight wives. That means twenty eight mothers in law. Isn't that a bit of a problem?'

The fact that each wife has the right to demand her own house is probably a bigger one.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Given their status, they might have 28 wives, each.

A proper Grayson lady is willing to share her husband with the customary 2 (+/- 1) sister-wives. I suspect that having 27 co-wives might be a bit much.

Except on Masada, where higher status men have more wives/concubines/sex slaves as God's reward for being among the most faithful.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:45 am

TFLYTSNBN

Fox2! wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Given their status, they might have 28 wives, each.

A proper Grayson lady is willing to share her husband with the customary 2 (+/- 1) sister-wives. I suspect that having 27 co-wives might be a bit much.

Except on Masada, where higher status men have more wives/concubines/sex slaves as God's reward for being among the most faithful.

I do not recall any mention anywhere of how many sister wives it is custumary for Grayson men to have. An average of about 3 would seem to conform to the gender balance. However; given polygamy it is probable that the number of wives would vary depending on the wealth and social status of the husband.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I do not recall any mention anywhere of how many sister wives it is custumary for Grayson men to have. An average of about 3 would seem to conform to the gender balance. However; given polygamy it is probable that the number of wives would vary depending on the wealth and social status of the husband.

There's a passing mention in Echoes of Honor.

"Reverend Sullivan [...] was married-with all three of the wives Grayson custom enshrined"

That may be the only place that customary ratio is mentioned - though we repeatedly hear about specific Graysons having three wives.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Rincewind wrote:]To paraphrase the late Alan Whicker when interviewing a Mormon Polygamist; 'You've got twenty eight wives. That means twenty eight mothers in law. Isn't that a bit of a problem?'

If you only marry orphans, it's not a problem. Or you could marry actual sisters (1) which would decrease the absolute number of mothers-in-law proportionally.

(1) This also assumes that the relevant portions of the incest laws have been repealed by the grace of the Tester. Or maybe that would be the action of the Accuser.
Post by tlb   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote: you could marry actual sisters (1) which would decrease the absolute number of mothers-in-law proportionally.

(1) This also assumes that the relevant portions of the incest laws have been repealed by the grace of the Tester. Or maybe that would be the action of the Accuser.

In what way would this be considered incest, as long as they are not the husband's sisters (which would eliminate the mother in law completely)?

Return to Honorverse